1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-level (AV) crisis

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nik1967, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,
    i live in germany and get pretty decent deals on AV stuff. I have read tons of posts from the experts here :lesson: and had decided to go in for Yammy RXV 650(value for money). I would say my time is equally spent on music/movies (50/50). The budget for a receiver is max. EUR 400 and hence the yammy. My speakers are B&W 602 for fronts, LCR 60, and 601 as rear in a room which is 4m x 6m. I am planning to add a sub.
    Recently i read reveiws of Marantz SR 5400 OSE (similar price on ebay) being a far better choice than the yammy. Now the Denon's are coming out with the **05 series. Help me decide please!! :lease: What would be the best match for my speakers/room size? I believe the 650 is very weak in 5/7 channel mode ,only doing around 45 w all channels driven!! Would that harm the speakers in the long run?
    It is difficult for me to audition in a store with my speakers, and most german stores have german/american brand speakers.
    cheers
    nik

2. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm....

If you're 50/50 music and movies then definately have a good look at the Marantz. I'm still blown away by the musicality of my SR7400, and I know you guys can pick it up dirt cheap in the UK/Europe. If its a little out of your reach then the 5400 is still a great machine.

Cheers,

3. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate. How would it match with the B&W'S? What speakers do you have??

4. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here's a BUMP for u dude,coz i also want to hear about the Yam 650.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Be carefull matching an amp to your B&W's. The B&W's are fairly bright with their metal dome tweeter so matching a bright sounding amp like the Yamaha you have in mind might not make a good match. Make sure you have a good listen and that you are satisfied it gives you the sound you want before parting with your cash. I partnered the Denon 3802 (which I still have) with my DM602's, lrc60 set upwhen I had them and it was a very good match to my ear. You can pick up an AVR3802 fairly cheaply on the second hand market so it maybe worth a look.:)

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    For B&W get Marantz!

Sr5400 or the new 4500/5500.

7. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the B&W 602 S3 partnered with the Denon 3802 as well,and it did sound good. Of course it is a very relative thing. I think with all receivers there will be a compromise (even with separates this is the case), and with the receivers, the biggest one is the amplifiers. But considering it all, I am quite partial to the Denon sound, as I think their processors are top notch.

I have a Denon 3802 on the classifieds for £300, so give me a shout if you want to know more about it ;).

8. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Falp. Your B&Ws are a great match to the Marantz and the Marantz are very highly regarded for musicality too.

SR5400 is probably the go, but keep an eye out for the new models on the way. I think you can get the SR7400 for 600 quid if you're UK-based too.

Ciao,

9. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dealer here also recommended the Marantz for the B&W'S. I'll give the SR5400 OSE a demo next week. How does it compare to the SR 6300, cause it is discounted.