• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

mid - high end DVD player with USB

smallangryboy

Established Member
DVD players seem to be trickling out with USB support. I'm looking to replace my Arcam DV79 so I'm not looking for a supermarket special.

Ideally I'm after one that will do my existing DVD and CD collection justice, and that will also play any digital format [DivX, Xvid, MP3 , Mpeg 4 etc.] via an external USB drive.

I wondered if anyone had a shopping list of such players as I've tried many types of search and only come up with a handful of players. I'm wondering if there are any that will give my Arcam a run for it's money in the audio and video steaks?

scorpion88

Established Member
I can't recommend the 980 too highly. It has excellent DVD playback and is very good with Cd's. Cheers

gbjbaanb

Established Member
There's the LG DVX392H
The Pioneer 410 and 610s
Philips 5990
Onkyo DV-SP406
and I think Oppo makes one too :)

Obviously I can't say what the quality is like on those (but I'd recommend the Pioneers as I've had them in the past and they've been excellent).

smallangryboy

Established Member
Any opnions of the Onkyo DV-SP406? Seems to be lacking any user reviews, and they have a reasonably good reputation with their receivers.

abdus

Established Member
The toshiba SD580 is also excellent and the picture quality is very good :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Evilmonkey

Established Member
Apologies Smallangryboy, don't mean to hijack, but I'm looking for the same thing (decent DVD with DIVX via USB)

To summarise the players so far in order of rough price:-

LG DVX392H - £45
Philips 5990 - £45
toshiba SD580 - £55
Onkyo DV-SP406 - £70
Pioneer 410 - £80
Pioneer 610 - £110
Oppo DV-980H - £160

For me I'd definitely not stretch to the last 2 and would take some persuading to go for the most costly 4.

So any thoughts of the bargain in the bunch?

Also - Do any of these play HD movies from the USB? I've seen reviews that specifically state that a couple of them won't, but none that specify that any of them do?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom