Mid-End Kitchens... anyone here done it?

kevshed

Hi All,

My new kitchen extention is taking shape, and i'm in out shopping for a kitchen. I'm looking at spending (what i consider) to be a significant chunk of change, and am frankly scared to death that im going to make some fundemental mistakes....

I'm not a rich guy, so this is a massive investment for me and the family - never spent this kind of dosh before, and am trying to cover my bases.

First observation - is that clearly, there is a lot of money in this field, and the attitude of the places i've gone too has been horific - in the AV industry they'd have gone bust years ago.

Secondly - The lack of price transparency, is also quite shocking - the quotes i've had tend to always be 'all-in' - and i've clearly upset folks by asking for detailed breakdowns of the costs....is this normal ? If someone thinks im going to just cut a cheque without knowing/understanding exactly what im paying for what... they must be mad.

Then - when i do get the breakdowns - I'm finding them (on the whole, not everyone) charging well over the odds for appliances and worktops... furniture - hard to say... but given they are maximising margins on the things i can shop around for, it makes me feel i'm getting ripped off on the furniture.

Frankly - I'm getting close to saying screw it - and i'll just B&Q it and order my own appliances and worktops... !!

Anyone got a positive experience or any advice ?

Thankfully - i think i've made a breakthough with a guy today, but im amazed at how little interest there has been (still waiting for one high end place to even come back to me with design after over a month!)

Thanks,
Kev

Det

Distinguished Member
You're doing the right thing. Shop for the appliances/sinks/cabinets/etc yourself and have someone professionally install it. Pay someone to take measurements and draw up the blueprint/diagram with dimensions, etc. so you know how much to buy if you're doing Tile, grout-work.

They always mark-up on the cost of goods so if you can just get them tied down to labor costs you'll save quite a bit of money. Although if you can find an honest person with dealer costs on appliances you could save more by going that route. It's best if you have a friend in the business.

Big_Si_Owen

We did a mixture of things when getting our kitchen recently.

We got the cabinets, worktop and fitting through KBBC Kitchens - Stunning, Affordable Fitted Kitchens (who did do the 'all in' price and the stupid "I'll have to phone my manager to see if I can match the other quote you have" game.)
Got the appliances ourselves for much cheaper
Got the splashbacks from someone else for much cheaper than kbbc quoted for them.

Still spent a fair few quid and could have probably got the worktop cheaper somewhere else. Got more for our money than going all through the kitchen company and we're really pleased with the outcome!

Got a couple of piccies on my recent thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/1270235-my-new-home-cinema.html

kevshed

You're doing the right thing. Shop for the appliances/sinks/cabinets/etc yourself and have someone professionally install it. Pay someone to take measurements and draw up the blueprint/diagram with dimensions, etc. so you know how much to buy if you're doing Tile, grout-work.

They always mark-up on the cost of goods so if you can just get them tied down to labor costs you'll save quite a bit of money. Although if you can find an honest person with dealer costs on appliances you could save more by going that route. It's best if you have a friend in the business.
Cheers. I dont object to anyone making a profit - i expect one in my business ;) - i'm just struggling with trusting anyone given ive had such a poor experience to date. In terms of appliances, we all know how to source them at good prices these days online - and there are deals to be had, but these folks still seem to think its perfectly ok to charge full MRSP and in some cases - more - just because its part of a project. In a recent spec, i was able to source the same kit about 25% cheaper than quoted, by spending 5 mins online. The response of the dealer was 'well, you can do that if you want, but you wont get the support (sheesh, i wasnt born yesterday) - and promptly said that his discount is in the furniture on the basis of supplying the appliances... what a load of rubbish... i walked away :)

I think perhaps most people shopping for these things must just say 'ok' - cut a cheque and move on, so maybe i'm just an 'awkward' client ;)

Dont get me started on worktops.... looking at Corian, and managed to half that price by going to a fabricator direct.

Where is Cameron when you need him - I'm calling for kitchen supplying regulation haha :rolleyes:

Det

Distinguished Member
Do they have "scratch n dent" shops where you guys are? Sometimes you can pull in pretty nice stuff with a dent on the back of something that will never even be seen for REALLY cheap.

kevshed

We did a mixture of things when getting our kitchen recently.

We got the cabinets, worktop and fitting through KBBC Kitchens - Stunning, Affordable Fitted Kitchens (who did do the 'all in' price and the stupid "I'll have to phone my manager to see if I can match the other quote you have" game.)
Got the appliances ourselves for much cheaper
Got the splashbacks from someone else for much cheaper than kbbc quoted for them.

Still spent a fair few quid and could have probably got the worktop cheaper somewhere else. Got more for our money than going all through the kitchen company and we're really pleased with the outcome!

Got a couple of piccies on my recent thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/1270235-my-new-home-cinema.html
Thanks - took a look at your thread.... kitchen looks great, well done.

Like you - I'm in the second phase of a renovation.... finished the 'existing' house, which is where my AV is... now building a 40m2 Kitchen/Diner.... 7.5m Glazed... so Bi-Folds about the same size as yours...

I'll be glad when its finished and i can enjoy some it.... Cinema been in since December, think i've watched 3 films on my PJ :(

Also need to do a thread when i get some time...

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Kev do what I did, pretend you are starting out in the kitchen fitting business and get an account at a trade place (I used Howdens) and buy it at the discounted price. All they do is a credit check! Just make up a trading name(your own name-kitchens etc)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom