Microwave turntable shattered for second time

Foebane72

Well-known Member
The thing is, we have a Belling SMS17 microwave oven, we got it a long time ago and it's served us fine over the years.

But one night not long after we got it, a former tenant decides to cook something in the oven WHILST DRUNK and the turntable shatters. It still worked fine, and so we saw no need to change it, we can't afford a new one anyway.

Anyway, this was when I was away so I didn't see what happened, but I struggled for some time to find a way to use the microwave without a turntable, and I thought an ordinary plate would suffice. It didn't. It exploded when I did some microwaveable popcorn one day.

So I tracked down and bought a Matsui turntable for the oven and bought it. Now, this was at least a year ago and everything has been fine until today.

Just a few days before there was a bit of a sloshy mess in the microwave and I decide to give both the plate and the oven a good scrub-down with a Brillo pad, and rinse fully.

Then just today, I decide to do another microwaveable popcorn and the turntable cracks, then shatters.

So what do I do? Look for a plastic microwave turntable, not buy Matsui or don't bother with popcorn?
 
Last edited:

Phil57

Well-known Member
Scrap the microwave, your playing with fire.
A microwave oven that is not functioning correctly is highly dangerous.
 

Phil57

Well-known Member
But it IS functioning correctly, it's just a Matsui turntable. Matsui sucks, right?
You might think it's functioning correctly but are you sure?
It's had a fire inside it, is it leaking waves? what damage has been done to the inner workings?
Be safe, scrap it, microwave ovens are very cheap now.
 

Steven

Senior Moderator
But it IS functioning correctly
How?! I've put plates and bowls in my 5+ year old microwave pretty much daily and it has never exploded anything on me

Get rid as advised
 

Steven

Senior Moderator
I've microwaved popcorn before and it does not taste as the over-priced portions at the cinema. But I've never exploded anything. I concur after replacing the microwave you should not let your mate use it again, I'm struggling to understand how he has done it because the instructions are foolproof and they hardly tell you to chuck foil in

(don't put foil in)
 

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Two things:
  • You're overheating the popcorn. Do you leave it until all popping has stopped? I know that sounds sensible, but once all the moisture has been exploded away, the corn will just get hotter, with small hotspots on the plate.
  • You should never use an abrasive like a Brillo pad on a glass oven plate. It will leave tiny surface scratches which concentrate the stresses as it heats up. It's asking to shatter it.
 

Garrett

Moderator
Ive had the same micro wave for about 25 years and use it every day, was in a 3 day Debenhams sale albeit a limmited number when some branches of Comet operated from in there as it was one of the Pro-Line. I use it for popcorn as well and still the same turntable.
 

IronGiant

Moderator
I can only pass on the advice I was given by a garage when I had a problem with my first car:

"Whenever I go over 60 miles an hour smoke comes out from under the bonnet..."

"Don't drive over 60 miles an a hour then..."


ie:for now, stop cooking popcorn in it :), but consider getting a new one :)
 

Foebane72

Well-known Member
1. What should I put the popcorn bag into? I just follow the instructions, and they say to leave the popcorn directly on the turntable.

2. The guy responsible moved out years ago, I think it was his little celebratory meal with the microwave that left the interior smokey (not scorched) - but then I wasn't there when he was blind drunk. Come on, the guy had just come out of PRISON for property fraud!

3. Well, I only used a Brillo pad on the turntable as I was trying to clear off the stubborn gunge on it - nothing else worked. But I won't do that again.
 

IronGiant

Moderator
I would consider putting the popcorn bag on a double layer of kitchen roll so it's not in direct contact.

But if the kitchen roll catches fire that won't help you much... :(
 

Foebane72

Well-known Member
I found this interesting page, and it confirms that it WAS the popcorn that did it:

eBay Guides - Why did the glass tray in my microwave break

Popcorn Are you kidding? After all, it is microwave popcorn isn't it? - The greatest food invention since apples? Did Orville Redenbacher lie to us on this one? Nah - Orville's a pretty cool old guy and microwave popcorn is indeed for the microwave.It goes back the the heat issue. Microwave popcorn produces a lot of heat. There's not much moisture in popcorn kernels - maybe just a molecule or two. Some kernels have no moisture at all. They're the ones leftover in the bag that didn't pop. The others have popped because the microwaves have superheated the moisture molecules causing the kernel to pop. Inside the bag of popcorn, the steam is hot, the popcorn is hot, the butter is hot, and the bag is hot. Because of this, it's a good idea to stick around the kitchen while popping a bag. Bags of popcorn have been known to catch on fire. The smell of popcorn in the office breakroom in tantalizing. The smell of burned popcorn is horrible and sticks around longer than some employees. You'll get better results by elevating the popcorn on an inverted microwave safe plate, and it'll help you (or your boss) from buying a $40 microwave plate.
 

IronGiant

Moderator
Good find... Well done :thumbsup: I'd ditch my kitchen roll idea then...
 

Spirochete

Standard Member
Just a note, please wear protective eyewear when taking this immediately out of the oven, I almost had a serious eye injury from it exploding after coming out of the microwave. The movie wasn't so good with a blearey eye!
 

Trending threads

Latest news

BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom