• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Microwave oven questions

HMHB

Distinguished Member
OK, it's time to own up ! I've had my current microwave for 6 years now and have never cleaned it :blush:
Had a look at it this morning and it's in a terrible state with the reamins of food explosions stuck to the sides but mainly on the underside of the top.
I'm begining to wonder if I'd be better off getting a new one rather than trying to clean it up, so anyone know of any great deals on microwaves ?
PS - I'm not normally a scruffy git like this, it just never occured to me to ever clean it !

shahedz

Distinguished Member
6 years and never been cleaned! :eek: , if it's served you well so far i would stick with it. and just clean it, a little bit of Mr Muscle leave to soak and it will come off. if you want a new one, i would only buy Panasonic. i think they are great and the price is resonable,

Uridium

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
OK, it's time to own up ! I've had my current microwave for 6 years now and have never cleaned it :blush:
Had a look at it this morning and it's in a terrible state with the reamins of food explosions stuck to the sides but mainly on the underside of the top.
I'm begining to wonder if I'd be better off getting a new one rather than trying to clean it up, so anyone know of any great deals on microwaves ?
PS - I'm not normally a scruffy git like this, it just never occured to me to ever clean it !

Your not alone I feel

I must confess I rarely remember to give mine a clean out, it's only ever used for defrosting stuff and is stuck up on top of the fridge.

It's a really cheap Okey Cokey brand thing from currys or something. Had it for over ten years and still works like the day we bought it!

Vitalija

And once you've cleaned it you mucky sod cut a lemon in half,put it in a bowl with a cupfull of water and set it to high for 2 minutes.This will get rid of any stubborn bits and make it smell nice and fresh.:smashin:

Love Kim & Aggie xxxxx

Nick_UK

Banned
Tesco's appear to be doing microwaves for a silly price - can't remember how much exactly - somewhere around £35 I think.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
To be honest I only really use it for defrosting stuff and cooking beans and soup, so it doesn't get too much use.
I've got far better things to do with my time than wasting it cleaning things ;)

Reign-Mack

SMH using it to defrost stuff to a raw state and not keeping it clean is even more disgusting, would not take more than a few minutes to wipe it out how busy do you have to be not spare a few minutes during a 5 year period, If not for yourself then for the sake of others.

krish

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
... the stories I hear from friends in the medical profession regarding patients' ailments arising as 'it just never occured' to them to ever clean certain things :eek: .... I hope its just the microwave :D!!

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I've just replaced ours with an LG Wavedom MS2344B. It was a Which? best buy & cost £65 from Argos. Apparently the vast majority of microwaves distribute poorly resulting in uneven cooking (even of ready meals) & defrosting. This they say is one of the better ones.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
There's only me who eats anything from the microwave so I'm only poisoning myself here ! The problem with cleaning things is that they just get mucky straight away again, so it really defeats the object :D I suppose I ought to get a cleaner in to do these "female tasks" once a week then I won't have to bother with it again :rotfl:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
It's far more interesting to buy things than to clean them though isn't it.
I imagine there are more people than me who are guilty of this kind of thing if they are honest about it. The only other thing I can think of that I am guilty of not cleaning are the windows. They really need doing now as some kind collard dove has emptied itself all over a couple of them. I clean the windows every 3 years or so as they get mucky again as soon as you do them :rolleyes:

overkill

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
There's only me who eats anything from the microwave so I'm only poisoning myself here ! The problem with cleaning things is that they just get mucky straight away again, so it really defeats the object :D I suppose I ought to get a cleaner in to do these "female tasks" once a week then I won't have to bother with it again :rotfl:
:smashin: I hate cleaning the Microwave! Everything sticks to it like 'no more nails' and it takes ages to get it off! So, although not as extreme as John, it only gets cleaned after summoning up tons of enthusiasm!:D

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I shall get some Mr Muscle from Asda and have a go at cleaning it then, if you don't hear from me in a couple of days please send a search party out for me ;)

Kebabhead

Distinguished Member
JohnG said:
I shall get some Mr Muscle from Asda and have a go at cleaning it then, if you don't hear from me in a couple of days please send a search party out for me ;)

How about

Barry (Shout) Scott & Cillit Bang :rotfl:

Reign-Mack

JohnG said:
It's far more interesting to buy things than to clean them though isn't it.
I imagine there are more people than me who are guilty of this kind of thing if they are honest about it. The only other thing I can think of that I am guilty of not cleaning are the windows. They really need doing now as some kind collard dove has emptied itself all over a couple of them. I clean the windows every 3 years or so as they get mucky again as soon as you do them :rolleyes:

fear enough but the windows don't go near your food ;)
I cleaned my windows (on the outside) for the first time in 9 months on saturday (in my defence I am two floors up so it means having to lean out onto the street to do it)... anyway it rained 10 minitutes after I finsihed cleaning the last window... must have been the first there was any rain in like 4 weeks...:rolleyes:

Joe90sDad

Banned
Be careful when it comes to cleaning. My father decided to clean his Panasonic microwave once and it stopped working. But he also has a habit of screwing up things, anyhow. :D

John

If something can live through xx seconds in a microwave , then it deserves to make you ill . Thats one tough bug :D

John

Nick_UK

Banned
johnscarlet said:
If something can live through xx seconds in a microwave , then it deserves to make you ill . Thats one tough bug :D

John

That's what I thought, until the other day when I saw a fruit fly happily flying round inside my 1000W microwave, when I was heating my lunch. I stopped it after a few seconds (I didn't want exploded fly in my food !), but the fly appeared no worse for wear, and it just flew off.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
You'll never believe this but I've cleaned my windows during my lunch hour :eek: I'm in a bungalow and only have 5 windows and a door, so it's not that difficult, although when I asked the window cleaner if he could fit me in on his round he started making excuses about being able to reach the front windows because of the plants there :rolleyes:
One question though, can you get anything to clean the UPVC around the windows with ? I've got rid of all the dirt off them but the white doesn't seem as white as it was when new.
Maybe I should ask for the thread title to be changed to "Cleaning questions" !!

zmoosa1

http://www.plastmo.com/plastmo/cleanpvc.html

Just thought I'd share a story regarding my old microwave... We had a few mice running around the kitchen for a few months and managed to trap most of them. There was one that kept evading me and always managed to take the food off the trap without actually setting it off. Anyway, after a few days, the mouse sort of disappeared, so we thought nothing more of it. It was only until I went to heat up my dinner in the microwave that I noticed a really awful stench. I sniffed around the micrwave but it wasn't too bad :confused: then opened up the microwave and :eek: it stunk. Couldn't figure it out... I decided to take off the top cover for the microwave and :eek: :eek: the mouse had managed to make it's way through the vents and had got stuck in the fan. Took the micro straight to the dump and bought a new one.

C

Cynthia 7

Yes, the lemon in hot water is good for loosening the dirt.

You can buy "Fridge and Microwave cleaner", an antisceptic cleaner. I bought mine from Lakeland Limited, as we have a store not far away. I think this is also available from other supermarkets. The reason for using this as opposed to the strong detergents, like Mr. Muscle, is that a lot of microwave interiors are not stainless steel, but painted or coated with something else and the coating can be destroyed.

New ones are inexpensive nowadays but, as Crocodile recommends, choose a best buy from Which. Some are very poor at cooking and defrosting safely.

I am very happy with my Panasonic with grill and oven, it makes a mean sponge cake. I doubt you'll want that John.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom