Microwave/Cooker/Fridge/freezer/Washing Machine

_Dragon_

I'm hopefully moving into my own place in August, As I let my ex have everything I got to start from scratch 😒 Any suggestions on any items? It's just me. Cooker would be electric, I did have a frostfree fridge/freezer while it was great not defrosting it, it didn't last long but I did get that replaced and as far as I know it's still going well. Microwave is just for heating things up.

Cheers🙂

Mikeni77

Standard Member
Is it a rental? If so maybe consider a furnished one if possible. Less to shift when you move on.

I've been in my own place for 9 years this august. My electric cookers have both been Beko and the first one only broke own earlier this year. which is decent for a cooker these days. Induction hobs are generally the best but ceramic are fine too. Solid plate are not as good.

Refrigerator is also Beko and it is 3 years old with the only issue i've ever had being a blocked condesation draining hole which was easily sorted. My microwave is built in but really if it's only for heating up, depending how much you use it no point in going overboard. There are plenty of colour coordinated sets of microwave/kettle/toaster that would be decent and not too expensive.

It goes without saying to not order anything until you have measured the kitchen and signed on the dotted line.

_Dragon_

I'm renting but it's a housing association so it's mine as long as I need it, I am planning on staying there for some time.

Thanks for your ideas, Many years ago Beko wasn't so reliable has that changed then?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Personally I look at Bosch, good quality at decent prices.
A local branch of Euronics here is good, local service with network prices.

Mikeni77

Standard Member
Curry's own brand are called Essentials and yes I'd avoid them. Same with argos. I also find currys more expensive and slower than my local euronics place.

I'm not sure what their freestanding cookers are like but samsung make decent refrigerators and integrated cookers.

As a rule refrigerators and washing machines these days tend to last just 3-5 years on average, with cookers lasting around 7. Living on your own should extend that though.

MrNismo

I love my combination oven microwave.
Big enough to hardly ever need the main oven.
Smaller and easier to preheat and clean.

I've got stung by a Siemens washing machine warranty before.
Broke down after 4 years.
Had a 5 year warranty :)
They took a week to come to asses.
Another week to return with parts.
That didn't fix it so another part ordered.
Another week before new part arrived and it was fixed.
3 days off work and 3 weeks no washing machine with a family of 4.
1 year later machine broke again out of warranty.
Probably cheap parts used to repair it.
I'm buying regular goods now.
If they break I'll go AO.com and get a replacement in a few days and done

_Dragon_

Cheers everyone. :thumbsup:

I had a Panasonic combi microwave got that in 2000 and still going strong, I also had a stoves cooker got that in 2005 and that's still going strong.

I wont be getting anything until I move in but now it's time to start looking, I'm going to try to avoid Currys and go with my local shops.

This really is how long is a piece of string, so many variables like space in the property, budget available, and not least what features you'd like

Space in the property...
Microwave - Will it be tabletop or build in; is it just a microwave? Will you have another oven? Would you like a second oven?
'Cooker' - What is the space available? Is it freestanding, what width, is it just hobs, is it separated hobs and oven. What kind of cooking do you enjoy? What features are you after; a must for me was bottom heat only for homemade pizzas. But choice can also be driven by the space and layout of the kitchen such as which way should the door open, does it need to get out of the way when using it etc...

Similar thing with the rest of the appliances. The brand would to me come way down the list compared to the requirements.

_Dragon_

This really is how long is a piece of string, so many variables like space in the property, budget available, and not least what features you'd like

Space in the property...
Microwave - Will it be tabletop or build in; is it just a microwave? Will you have another oven? Would you like a second oven?
'Cooker' - What is the space available? Is it freestanding, what width, is it just hobs, is it separated hobs and oven. What kind of cooking do you enjoy? What features are you after; a must for me was bottom heat only for homemade pizzas. But choice can also be driven by the space and layout of the kitchen such as which way should the door open, does it need to get out of the way when using it etc...

Similar thing with the rest of the appliances. The brand would to me come way down the list compared to the requirements.
I was trying to find out what people's opinion was on brands, etc as I didn't specify what I wanted I was assuming cooker was just a normal cooker a microwave is a microwave unless I said combi microwave. Cooker would be freestanding as I didn't mention built in etc.. 👍

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I'd go Panasonic for your microwave, Bosch for everything else except the cooker.

The cooker - are you absolutely sure there won't be a hob / oven already in the kitchen. It would be pretty unusual.

I know nothing about free standing cookers so can't really comment. If you don't mind splashing a bit of cash, I'd go for something with an induction hob - once you've used induction, you will never want to go back. A quick google suggests Hotpoint do one for about 550.

_Dragon_

I'd go Panasonic for your microwave, Bosch for everything else except the cooker.

The cooker - are you absolutely sure there won't be a hob / oven already in the kitchen. It would be pretty unusual.

I know nothing about free standing cookers so can't really comment. If you don't mind splashing a bit of cash, I'd go for something with an induction hob - once you've used induction, you will never want to go back. A quick google suggests Hotpoint do one for about 550.
Cheers, Yes absolutely sure no cooker as it's a new build, No carpets either, I'm going to have to look up induction hobs as I have never heard of that before.

As long as it is built better than their washing machines.
I have never had a hotpoint machine myself no doubt thay have got worse over the years as they are now made by indesit. They were definitely good 18+Years ago.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I'd avoid a combination microwave. Yonks ago I had a Sharp combi which was great. When it eventually died I replaced it with a Panasonic & then discovered that they'd removed the heating element for the oven feature. Instead they rely on using the grill for heating which unsurprisingly, burns the surface of everything while leaving the insides uncooked. This seems quite common with dual ovens as well were there's no heating element for the top oven & again, just uses the grill. So I'd suggest a basic microwave only.

Maybe supplement that with a halogen oven or the Ninja Foodi if budget allows. But it's all more storage if space is limited.

As for Which?, I've found it poor. It was their glowing reviews that lead me to buy the Panasonic Combi Microwave. No harm in signing up for the £1 trial but I've found that typically they post glowing reviews of products that are then torn to shreds by actual buyers. I've also often found that their best buys in a group test have long since been discontinued & not available to buy anywhere.

_Dragon_

I'd avoid a combination microwave. Yonks ago I had a Sharp combi which was great. When it eventually died I replaced it with a Panasonic & then discovered that they'd removed the heating element for the oven feature. Instead they rely on using the grill for heating which unsurprisingly, burns the surface of everything while leaving the insides uncooked. This seems quite common with dual ovens as well were there's no heating element for the top oven & again, just uses the grill. So I'd suggest a basic microwave only.

Maybe supplement that with a halogen oven or the Ninja Foodi if budget allows. But it's all more storage if space is limited.

As for Which?, I've found it poor. It was their glowing reviews that lead me to buy the Panasonic Combi Microwave. No harm in signing up for the £1 trial but I've found that typically they post glowing reviews of products that are then torn to shreds by actual buyers. I've also often found that their best buys in a group test have long since been discontinued & not available to buy anywhere.
Cheers, definitely not going for a combi totally wasted my money on that only ever used it to heat things up.

Panasonic are slipping down market generally. :(
It's a shame because they were ever so good many many years ago, my Panasonic Microwave is still going since 2000 and in that time my parents have had three microwaves.

I should be moving in on the 10th August but I have just been told its not going to be ready for the 10th, it's now the 17th August.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I bought a new cooker today - last night there was a power cut and the oven on my eighteen year old cooker didn't work.
The memorial service is being held on Sunday.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

Mulan to premiere on Disney+ on 4th September
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Has Amazon Prime Video dropped Dolby Atmos?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom