Microsoft's VR Headsets

I assume, based on the price, that you mean the Samsung Odyssey (Windows Mixed Reality) and NOT Gear VR.

The Samsung is getting good press (Best Windows Mixed Reality Headsets of 2018 - Best VR Technology Reviews) It has Steam support and supposedly with Revive has all the bases covered. The same is true of the other WMR headsets, but the Samsung is the stand-out in the field because of the better resolution and display. Also the headphones and the ability to change the IPD.

I've just ordered a new laptop from Amazon as I wanted to be able to move my Rift from gaming room into the front room for some fun. My rift is pretty much tied to my racing rig so no room for standing stuff.
Anyway I thought if I get a decent laptop I can just unplug the Rift and take it in the front room, but when I ordered the PC there's a deal to get £250 off a Lenovo headset so I checked some reviews and it looked like a no brainer. The inside out tracking and simple plug and play operation were enough for me to take the plunge. Hopefully both will be delivered Tuesday.
Another thing I came across was a video showing the Lenovo being used outside with a laptop and I have a nice size patio right next to the front room so will definitely be giving that a go when the weather warms up :)

I've just ordered a new laptop from Amazon as I wanted to be able to move my Rift from gaming room into the front room for some fun. My rift is pretty much tied to my racing rig so no room for standing stuff.
Anyway I thought if I get a decent laptop I can just unplug the Rift and take it in the front room, but when I ordered the PC there's a deal to get £250 off a Lenovo headset so I checked some reviews and it looked like a no brainer. The inside out tracking and simple plug and play operation were enough for me to take the plunge. Hopefully both will be delivered Tuesday.
Another thing I came across was a video showing the Lenovo being used outside with a laptop and I have a nice size patio right next to the front room so will definitely be giving that a go when the weather warms up :)
Probably a wise choice, given that you'd have had to set up your Rift cameras (or buy another set) to use the Rift in multiple rooms, and I doubt a laptop would handle the USB requirements for it. At least with the Lenovo you could theoretically wear the laptop in a backpack and wander around a much larger physical area.

Well it was a short lived experience. After years of quality Oculus and HTC headsets this came as a bit of a culture shock, especially when priced at £399 (I know I got mine cheaper). The IPD limitations are the main show stopper for me. The IPD is fixed with no physical adjustment and the software offers a slider to adjust up to and including 67mm but no further. Due to the use of the fresnal lenses I assume that adjusting the IPD in software is probably also reducing the sweet spot. I could not get a clear image no matter what I did.
It is a shame, because the headset is light and really is plug and play and the prospect of inside out tracking (which seemed to work well) was something I really wanted.
I've already boxed it up to return to Amazon and now I'm on the hunt for a Samsung Odyssey, which for some reason isn't be retailed in Europe.

Well it was a short lived experience. After years of quality Oculus and HTC headsets this came as a bit of a culture shock, especially when priced at £399 (I know I got mine cheaper). The IPD limitations are the main show stopper for me. The IPD is fixed with no physical adjustment and the software offers a slider to adjust up to and including 67mm but no further. Due to the use of the fresnal lenses I assume that adjusting the IPD in software is probably also reducing the sweet spot. I could not get a clear image no matter what I did.
It is a shame, because the headset is light and really is plug and play and the prospect of inside out tracking (which seemed to work well) was something I really wanted.
I've already boxed it up to return to Amazon and now I'm on the hunt for a Samsung Odyssey, which for some reason isn't be retailed in Europe.

Did I miss it, but what device are you talking about?

yeah (i aint tried any of them) but from what i have read the Odyssey is the only one which can give the rift or vive a run for its money...... (i am jealous of the screen in the Odyssey) but with no official uk release it means it is out of reach for most folk.

Yeah, the Odyssey is the only one I'd consider out of the current batch. But then you're talking Vive (unprofessional) money given the recent price drop...

I took the plunge and ordered a Samsung Odyssey through Big Apple Buddy service, hopefully it'll arrive early next week :)I'll report back when it arrives.

yes please let us know!, I was close to getting one but thought best to wait till the Go & Focus became available in the UK.

Got my Samsung Odyssey today and spent the last couple of hours messing around with a few bits to see how it fares...and it's a thumbs up from me. Like the other WMR headsets it's proper plug n play stuff here, took 5 minutes to set up out of the box. The headset itself is incredibly comfortable, moreso than any of the others I've had. The padding and earphones combined are a great combination and it sits in place nicely when tighten accordingly.

The physical lens adjustment is the first thing that sets this apart from the other WMR headsets and it got rid of the issues I had with the Lenova HMD.

Putting the headset on and the screen pops into view with almost crystal clarity (compared to other headsets) and the uptick in resolution was obvious in everything I looked at. Thinking about it now I don't even remember seeing any God rays. I will check again tomorrow.

The only slight downsides for me:-

The controllers are pretty good but they are not as ergonomic as the Touch controllers and of course some games you have to try and work out how the controls work as the WMR controllers don't have physical A/B buttons etc, most are just replaced by the track pad (which isn't really an actual trackpad). This will become natural with more use. I played Brass Tactics, Space Pirate and Robo Recall for a while, as well as an hour in Google Earth, and had not issues with the controllers and never had a proplem with tracking etc.

Other slight downside is heat. As a result of the padded leather (faux leather) design it gets quite hot in there. The new design makes it nice and easy to wipe clean but I will be looking at options to get some air in or perhaps just set up a small fan for when I'm playing. I shouldn't complain really because the headset is so comfortable and inside it's pitch black with no light finding it's way in.

So I can happily say I am very happy. So far it cost £493 including shipping, but I am excepting a bill from Fedex for vat/duty.

I am really looking forward to taking it on the patio next week when I have a week off. Inside out tracking has worked just fine for me with this and the Lenovo so that's a big plus IMO, I wont need cameras/sensors in the front room and the Rift can live attached to my racing rig. Saying that, I will be giving the Odyssey a few laps on my race stuff this week and maybe I'll end up with one HMD to rule them all :D

Thanks for the review. Did you install on same PC/laptop with the rift? try to check if multiple HMD's can coexist on same machine

Thanks for the review. Did you install on same PC/laptop with the rift? try to check if multiple HMD's can coexist on same machine

Installed on same laptop as Rift. Not enough sockets (HDMI/USB) to fire both up at the same time though:D

I struggled using the Odyssey with my racing rig. I cannot get a decent image and frame rate to match the Rift. I've been reading about opening a developer mode to check I'm hitting 90hz, just haven't worked out how yet :D

So I can happily say I am very happy. So far it cost £493 including shipping, but I am excepting a bill from Fedex for vat/duty.

I am really looking forward to taking it on the patio next week when I have a week off. Inside out tracking has worked just fine for me with this and the Lenovo so that's a big plus IMO, I wont need cameras/sensors in the front room and the Rift can live attached to my racing rig. Saying that, I will be giving the Odyssey a few laps on my race stuff this week and maybe I'll end up with one HMD to rule them all :D

Thanks - the review was really helpful. I am also considering getting an Odyssey as apparently it will work with my Surface Book 2.

Have you had any more chance to use it and were you charged for duty and VAT in the end?

Thanks - the review was really helpful. I am also considering getting an Odyssey as apparently it will work with my Surface Book 2.

Have you had any more chance to use it and were you charged for duty and VAT in the end?

Still not had a bill yet, not sure at what point I'll believe I won't get one.

I'm using it most days. Very pleased with how plug 'n' play it is. I don't have a tons of games but I have not come across a game it wont work with from my Rift or Vive library.

I am off this week so desperately waiting for a dry day to try it on the patio ;)

I took advantage of the dry weather and set myself up on the patio this morning. Having a laptop that can run VR offers so much freedom that I just need an extension lead for the laptop and my Odyssey HMD and I could take it anywhere. I picked up 2 x 6ft extensions for the HDMI & USB to give me more distance from the laptop.

Because it's just plug n play there was nothing else to do apart from setup a boundary. This seemed to work perfectly, mapping out a moderate area on the patio of approx 10ft x 10ft with ease. Next was a case of turning on the controllers and I'd be transported to a VR place far far away...or that's what I'd hoped. The controllers let the side down in a big way. They didn't want to track if the sun was out. I waited for a while and the sun went in and suddenly the controllers sprung into life although it was a little bit hit and miss compared to just about perfect tracking indoors. Overall a disappointing result.

But....as I already had the laptop outside I thought I'd give the Rift a quick go and it was perfect so I spent a good hour on Space Pirate Trainer and Audioshield with not a single hiccup. It wasn't a big deal putting 2 Rift sensors outside. I have 3 sensors and currently only use one on my racing rig. I'm pretty sure I'll be using the Rift on the patio during the spring and summer months but I'll still be keeping the Odyssey for the front room as it is pretty flawless inside and every time I put it on after the Rift I really appreciate the improved resolution, better contrast and lack of Godrays.

You could get a cheap 10 foot sq pop up Gazebo that may fix the Odyssey's tracking problem.
I did ponder, I'll wait until the weather dries up again and give it another go anyway.

On another note I got a bill from Fedex for VAT/Duty for £83.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom