Microsoft's VR Headsets

@Furnace Inferno agreed. Always a shame to see a reporter who couldn't be bothered to fact check with Wikipedia. Even went out of his way to mention LCD displays! :facepalm:

I don’t think any serious gamer is going to buy into WMR.

I think you're gonna be very surprised! Most reports are that this inside-out tracking works well! The price is good and they're Steam VR compatible (or will soon be).

Valve really wanted to get a bunch of hardware partners and only managed 1... plus 1 maybe. MS have pulled off half a dozen seemingly overnight! And now at least one is pulling ahead and offering a spec that in some ways exceeds the Vive and Rift.

If these play all of Steam's VR games, and I don't really see why they wouldn't, these are gonna be massively disruptive!

Only wish Knuckles could be compatible.

I hear what you’re saying Nivek TT but if you were playing Onward where you need steady hands and accurate tracking how frustrating would it be if you kept getting owned using inside out tracking? When I’m shooting across the map battling the low resolution lol the last thing I want to think about is wobbly hands, I got the Rum for that haha.

Its actually launch day for these, Acer, HP, Dell and Lenovo are now shipping. Currys have the Dell offering in stock, DELL Visor Mixed Reality Headset & Controllers Its the Samsung that I'm most interested in, though that's a little while away.

I'm looking forward to hearing more real world reports, especially once they are SteamVR ready.

The following have popped up on the Windows Store:

• Arizona Sunshine – $39.99
  • Superhot VR – $24.99
  • Fantastic Contraption – $19.99
  • Skyworld – $39.99
  • Space Pirate Trainer – $14.99
  • Form – $14.99
  • Ghostbusters VR – Now Hiring Episode 1 – $6.99
  • Halo: Recruit – Free
  • Heroes of the Seven Seas – $6.99
  • Dreadhalls – $9.99
  • Stunt Kite Masters – $9.99
  • inVokeR – $14.99
  • Land of Dinosaurs VR – $2.99
  • Racket: Nx – $19.99
  • Tee Time Golf – $14.99
  • BingoClass – Free
  • HeadSquare – $4.99
  • Dark Legion – $16.99
  • Headbutt Factory – $19.99
  • Hypercade – $4.99
  • vTime – Free
  • Pixvana 360 Video Player – Free
  • Sliver.tv – Free
  • Ryot – Free
  • Littlestar VR Cinema – Free
  • Inception VR – Free
  • NextVR – Free
  • Free The Night – Free
  • theBlu: Season 1 – $9.99
  • MoveStudio – Free
  • The Rose And I – Free
  • Films & TV – Free
  • YouKu VR Pro – Free
  • Holograms – Free

Last edited:
I'm really interested in hearing what these are like with glasses. Are there any reviews out yet that covers this?

That's a bit strange for a global company, to me it says they lack confidence in sales.
Import maybe?

That's a bit strange for a global company, to me it says they lack confidence in sales.
Import maybe?
Really disappointing - this is the headset I had my eyes on as it's reportedly the only one with manual adjustment for eyes. I wonder if it's due to production limitations and so they're just limiting it to one market for now, to see how much interest there is.

It could just be a marketing tactic to gauge interest.

RoadtoVR's review of the Acer (the ugliest)...

Acer Windows VR Headset Review

Don't think anyone will be replacing their Rift or Vive. Though it's a worthy consideration for someone looking to get into VR... When Steam support is available.

Needs to be at least $50 cheaper at this point in the game. IMO.

Something interesting just popped up anecdotally on the Steam sportsbarvr forums which I still read in the vain hope that one day they'll update it.

Anyway someone who has a Samsung Odyssey says SportsBar VR is unplayable in it because the inside out tracking can't track his cueing arm, behind him.

Every other VR game he's tried is fine, but this one is unplayable. I guess there aren't many experiences where you'd be bent down with one arm in front, one arm behind though.

Ahem. .. none I've tried anyway but then I have led something of a sheltered life.

Well, Went to order my new Dell 7677 laptop, and Dell are giving away the Dell Visor + controller bundle with it for FREE!!!!
I got the laptop delivered today, but probably going to leave the Dell Visor sealed and sell it for a Vive!

@Spoonablehippo the Vive is undoubtedly the better headset but I'm surprised you're not willing to give the Dell a try. Since Windows MR headsets have been as low as $200 I'm not sure how much it's worth secondhand.

I'd give it a try out of curiosity, if only to see how good the tracking and screens are.

@Spoonablehippo the Vive is undoubtedly the better headset but I'm surprised you're not willing to give the Dell a try. Since Windows MR headsets have been as low as $200 I'm not sure how much it's worth secondhand.

I'd give it a try out of curiosity, if only to see how good the tracking and screens are.

The only reason I was thinking of selling is that I had a Vive briefly before and adored it!

I had a look online last night, and I think I'm going to keep them!

Really keen to see how the inside out tracking works, and looks like quite a few of Steam games are now compatable!

Although its typical my favourites aren't yet lol
Star Trek Bridge Crew and TheBlu!

The only thing that worries me is the lower FOV, and the higher resolution screens may mean my 1060 Max-Q laptop is going to struggle more with it?!

EDIT: According to Dell spec, the FOV is 110, which is the same as Vive isn't it??
Dell Visor | Dell UK

Last edited:
Just picked up the Dell Visor + controllers from fleabay for £184. Couldn’t resist :) but I reckon they will kill my GTX 960 :-(

My 780ti seems to manage the rift fine with everything I’ve tried. Saying that perhaps a new card may be in order as it sounds like a typhoon taking off when I enter a station in elite

Last edited:
hi everyone, i am after some help if possible. My son got a mixed reality headset with his HP omen at christmas. We have set everything up, and everything tracks but there is nothing coming through to the headset it's blank, i have made sure everything is plugged in correctly and the laptop recognises the headset when its plugged in but nothing appears on the screen. windows and all drivers are up to date so i am thinking there is a setting i am missing. any advice would be much appreciated.
thank you

make sure the pc is sending out signal through hdmi, had this issue with my acer laptop, look for fn + f key to turn hdmi on/off

A cousin is coming to the UK in the next 2 weeks from US. I was thing of picking up the samsung as well now that price has dropped to $399.

Though I have the rift, I figured this might be a lot easier to use while away from home since there is no external sensors involved.

Will I be able to 'just' play any existing VR games I have purchased from Steam and oculus store? or is there some faffing involved?

Will it happily co exist with my Rift setup for stream and Oculus apps?.

If no to these questions, i might as well give it a miss till the mobile HMD's come out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom