Microsoft Xbox Series X Review & Comments

Do you have this console? As it reads like you don't and from all accounts Dolby vision isn't going to be released until 2021 on it due to the issues they had with the xboxone

Do you have this console? As it reads like you don't and from all accounts Dolby vision isn't going to be released until 2021 on it due to the issues they had with the xboxone
Yes, Rik has the console.

To answer the question once and for all: Can the 4K drive play Dolby Vision discs?

Microsoft have announced that they won't be supporting DV on the console until 2021, that will be games and discs

Microsoft have announced that they won't be supporting DV on the console until 2021, that will be games and discs

Is that physical versions of games though?

Is that physical versions of games though?
All versions of games and media, it won't be outputting DV until 2021 via a firmware update. After the Xbox one issues with DV i think they want to get it right.
But I'm going from what Microsoft have said and don't have one to hand..

All versions of games and media, it won't be outputting DV until 2021 via a firmware update. After the Xbox one issues with DV i think they want to get it right.
But I'm going from what Microsoft have said and don't have one to hand..

Do you have a link to this Microsoft statement at all?

I’ve always known they were bringing DV to games and as they sell disc versions of games then that’s where the disc aspect would come in.

Seems like getting an answer regarding DV for UHD disc based films is like getting blood out of a stone...

Here’s the spokesperson’s full statement: “Xbox Series X|S support HDR10 for both games and streaming media and Dolby Vision for streaming media apps from partners such as Netflix, Disney+ and Vudu at launch. We also announced Dolby Vision support for games will be coming in 2021. While we don’t support HDR10+ at launch, we continue to listen to feedback from gamers and our partners, but we have nothing to announce at this time.”

Only mention of DV is for streaming apps and games.

Any Plex app at launch?

Apparently reviewers are having issues with getting games working. From eurogamer:

"All of which should see us conclude this review with what really matters: the games. And that's where we're really struggling to provide any meaningful commentary because even now, we have so little to look at - to the point where I still have no real idea of what to expect from Series X gaming. A raft of codes arrived from Microsoft, but very few of them actually worked and of those that did, some had no Xbox Series console enhancements."

Read this on another site as well.

Apparently reviewers are having issues with getting games working. From eurogamer:

"All of which should see us conclude this review with what really matters: the games. And that's where we're really struggling to provide any meaningful commentary because even now, we have so little to look at - to the point where I still have no real idea of what to expect from Series X gaming. A raft of codes arrived from Microsoft, but very few of them actually worked and of those that did, some had no Xbox Series console enhancements."

Read this on another site as well.

I'm not sure that this is saying there's an issue with getting games working - it's saying that the codes they were sent from MS for game downloads didn't work. At least, that's how I read it.

"it is likely to create a lot of heat"

We knew that, but given that this is a review of a unit that is in your possession can you tell us whether it does create a lot of heat?

What xbox series x games did you play? Just wanted to know as it got a 10 for gaming performance.

Quote from review from Digital Foundry review. I'm rather disappointed to hear the dashboard is still not outputting at 4k. I appreciate the argument of making more ram available to developers but that was the same excuse for the X and well being a next-gen console I really hoped we would have a 4k dashboard.

The notion of a powerful 4K console delivering a 1080p interface - often replete with low resolution game art in iconography and the Xbox Store - doesn't exactly give the impression of a premium experience either. This is function over form, with Microsoft opting to reduce the system footprint in terms of RAM allocation as much as possible, to give as much system resource as possible to game-makers

Thanks for the review 👍🏼 All signs point to DV on discs NOT being supported-annoying but hardly a dealbreaker. Thankfully I couldn’t give a hoot about a 1080p dashboard. IMO it looks great on a One X and I’d rather the developers have more RAM for games rather than for a dashboard with more pixels. Looking forward to playing mine on Tuesday 😁

Thanks for the review 👍🏼 All signs point to DV on discs NOT being supported-annoying but hardly a dealbreaker. Thankfully I couldn’t give a hoot about a 1080p dashboard. IMO it looks great on a One X and I’d rather the developers have more RAM for games rather than for a dashboard with more pixels. Looking forward to playing mine on Tuesday 😁

Does it matter, who gives a crap what resolution the dash is at as long as it looks decent which at 1080p it does.

Last edited:
Quote from review from Digital Foundry review. I'm rather disappointed to hear the dashboard is still not outputting at 4k. I appreciate the argument of making more ram available to developers but that was the same excuse for the X and well being a next-gen console I really hoped we would have a 4k dashboard.

The notion of a powerful 4K console delivering a 1080p interface - often replete with low resolution game art in iconography and the Xbox Store - doesn't exactly give the impression of a premium experience either. This is function over form, with Microsoft opting to reduce the system footprint in terms of RAM allocation as much as possible, to give as much system resource as possible to game-makers
I don't understand what's the problem, 1080p was the high density resolution not so low ago, not low resolution as they state. I'm more interested in it as a gaming console and bluray player, not some 'glossy' interface that I don't spend much time dawdling about in.

For bluray I have HDR10+ which produces just about the same quality pq as DV anyway...

I don't understand what's the problem, 1080p was the high density resolution not so low ago, not low resolution as they state. I'm more interested in it as a gaming console and bluray player, not some 'glossy' interface that I don't spend much time dawdling about in.

For bluray I have HDR10+ which produces just about the same quality pq as DV anyway...
This is because this is the most generic pointless review ever. Not even a photo of the real product, all images from the net. Its rubbish they even touched it.
Its as generic as saying its an improvement from before but only time will tell when games are out... then its not a sodding review

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom