Microsoft Xbox One Software Support

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Some say Microsoft doesn't have much first & second party support......

First Party Studios:

343 Industries (2 Teams) - Halo IP
Turn 10 - Forza IP
Black Tusk - New AAA IP
Lionhead (2 Teams) - Fable IP
Rare (2 Teams) - Kinect Sports & various IP
MS Victoria - New AAA IP
MS Osaka - New AAA IP
Lift London - Cloud based gaming
Twisted Pixel (2 Teams) - Arcade titles
Press Play - Arcade titles
Playful Learning - Unknown next gen family project
Team Dakota - Project Spark IP
Kids & Lifestyle Entertainment - Xbox Fitness IP
Xbox live productions - Arcade titles
Big Park - Sports IP
MS LA - TV for Xbox Halo & Quantum Break

Second Party Studios:

Capcom Vancouver - Dead Rising IP
Crytek - Ryse IP
Epic/People can Fly - Engine support for most 1st party games & Gears IP
Remedy - Alan Wake & Quantum Break IP
Frontier Developments - Kinectamals and Zoo Tycoon IP
Double Helix - KI IP
Insomniac - Sunset Overdrive IP
Harmonix - Dance Central & Fantasia IP
Platinum - Rumoured AAA Title
Playground Games - Forza Horizon IP
Grounding Inc - Crimson Dragon IP
Capybara Games - Below IP

Known AAA Titles:

Halo 5 - 343 Industries
Estimated release - November 2014

Forza 5 - Turn 10
Confirmed release - November 22nd 2013

New AAA Title - Black Tusk
Expected release - late 2015

Fable Legends - Lionhead
Release date TBC

Quantum Break - Remedy
Release date TBC

Kinect Sports: Rivals - Rare
Expected release - Q1 2014

Sunset Overdrive - Insomniac
Release TBC

Project Spark - Team Dakota
Expected release - Q1/Q2 2014

Ryse - Crytek
Confirmed release - November 22nd 2013

Dead Rising 3 - Capcom Vancouver
Confirmed release - 22nd November 2013

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/387779818747469825

Last edited:
Gran Turismo and Uncharted games are excellent! Owning both this gen I do think Sony has the better exclusives. Well for my tastes anyway.

Only franchise that really interests me on the xbox is Halo, I would agree with you addyb.

Only franchise that really interests me on the xbox is Halo, I would agree with you addyb.

Not really a fan of Halo. Really loved Fable 1 & 2, pgr3 & 4 and the first 2 gears games.

Seriously JJ? This is like the 10th time you've done a first party studios thread.

Do you genuinely not know?

1. Due to investment in first party studios, over a long period of time, Sony has more teams at more first party studios producing more games. Period. Just look at this year, producing first party exclusives for PS3, PSV and PS4 whilst MS is only producing for XB1.

2. MS has tended to moneyhat 2nd/3rd party games instead of investing in their own studios. This is fine for the games themselves but leaves them open to the studio deciding it's not going to be exclusive any more e.g. Bungie.

Whether you prefer the games produced from one party or another is down to individual tastes but the above two points are pretty much fact - Sony has invested in 1st party far more and it shows. The third point is my opinion ...

3. MS have wasted studios when they've made them 1st party - notably Rare which was a fabulously creative studio for decades and now does Kinect games :(

IMHO apart from a spurt of games at the start of the gen MS have been miles behind Sony for exclusives since at least 2009/10.

There are plenty of internal studios at MS and Sony and they all do lot of different things.

Sony have some awesome studios that make some really well made games like Gran Turismo and Uncharted. Plus studios like Sony Santa Monica came really push the PlayStation hardware (God of War games looked great at the time) and do really well helping 3 party studios with development like they did with Thatgamecompany (on games like Journey).

From what I can tell MS has a lot of internal studios at the moment and a lot of them are new.

A lot of the studios do other things as well. For example Soho Productions made the game Kinect Sesame Street TV but also developed the Sky app for the 360 (think I remember seeing a video of them demoing the Upload Studio software too).

Last edited:
Seriously JJ? This is like the 10th time you've done a first party studios thread.

Do you genuinely not know?

1. Due to investment in first party studios, over a long period of time, Sony has more teams at more first party studios producing more games. Period. Just look at this year, producing first party exclusives for PS3, PSV and PS4 whilst MS is only producing for XB1.

2. MS has tended to moneyhat 2nd/3rd party games instead of investing in their own studios. This is fine for the games themselves but leaves them open to the studio deciding it's not going to be exclusive any more e.g. Bungie.

Whether you prefer the games produced from one party or another is down to individual tastes but the above two points are pretty much fact - Sony has invested in 1st party far more and it shows. The third point is my opinion ...

3. MS have wasted studios when they've made them 1st party - notably Rare which was a fabulously creative studio for decades and now does Kinect games :(

IMHO apart from a spurt of games at the start of the gen MS have been miles behind Sony for exclusives since at least 2009/10.

Yes I do know that, I would also expect it as Sony has been producing consoles for far longer than Microsoft. When playstation first came out Sony money hatted all over the place.

My point is that Microsoft now has more studios than ever before, with more staff and in theory should now be able to produce a good level of games every year with several aaa titles, something they haven't been able to do in the past.

Also it's the third time I've done a 1st party thread. 1 for the ms 15, 1 for the Sony 30 and now this one.

I'm quite excited and optimistic about the prospect of microsofts first party and second party output for the next few years, I take it you are not?

Yes I do know that, I would also expect it as Sony has been producing consoles for far longer than Microsoft. When playstation first came out Sony money hatted all over the place.

My point is that Microsoft now has more studios than ever before, with more staff and in theory should now be able to produce a good level of games every year with several aaa titles, something they haven't been able to do in the past.

Also it's the third time I've done a 1st party thread. 1 for the ms 15, 1 for the Sony 30 and now this one.

I'm quite excited and optimistic about the prospect of microsofts first party and second party output for the next few years, I take it you are not?

I want to be, and in fact I certainly used to be, excited about their exclusives. Too many gears, forzas and halos have somewhat killed the appetite. I look forward to Project Spark, Crimson Dragon and Black Tusk's new Ip to rekindle some enthusiasm.

I know you're excited, it comes across in your posts. :smashin: However, you then end up putting up lists that are tremendously skewed because you go off half cocked.

There is no point comparing the two as it completely down to personal preference as to which studios matter more to you.

I would worry less about comparing them and simply look forward to the games you enjoy on whichever system they happen to fall.

A better spin on the thread might have been just to focus on the Microsoft studios output and speculate on their output going forward.

I want to be, and in fact I certainly used to be, excited about their exclusives. Too many gears, forzas and halos have somewhat killed the appetite. I look forward to Project Spark, Crimson Dragon and Black Tusk's new Ip to rekindle some enthusiasm.

I know you're excited, it comes across in your posts. :smashin: However, you then end up putting up lists that are tremendously skewed because you go off half cocked.

I know what you are saying, in fact I sold my x360 in 2010 and bought a PC for that very reason. That said we now have different stuff coming from them along and forza aside all the other stuff looks different to the sequel after sequel we've seen from them. Fable is launching with what looks to be a totally different concept based on coop, only the art style and feel of the world is maintained with the gameplay mechanic being completely reworked. Halo 4 has rekindled my interest in that series as its campaign is fantastic. Most of the rest is new IP which is very much needed.

Potentially this coming year we have Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Fable, Kinect Rivals, Quantum Break and of course project spark on top of Ryse and Forza at launch. Also we haven't seen the Black Tusk stuff or whatever People Can Fly or working on atm. Rumours of Crackdown suggest we might see that again at some point and god knows what MS is working on in japan. There have been rumours of a Ryse sequel already and rare has been talking about revisiting old franchises.

They say they've spent $1b developing new games to push X1, I don't think you can just say their 1st party support will be rubbish because it has been for the last 5 years. There is a comparable amount of titles on both platforms to look forward to - this competition can only be great for all of us.

I know what you are saying, in fact I sold my x360 in 2010 and bought a PC for that very reason. That said we now have different stuff coming from them along and forza aside all the other stuff looks different to the sequel after sequel we've seen from them. Fable is launching with what looks to be a totally different concept based on coop, only the art style and feel of the world is maintained with the gameplay mechanic being completely reworked. Halo 4 has rekindled my interest in that series as its campaign is fantastic. Most of the rest is new IP which is very much needed.

Potentially this coming year we have Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Fable, Kinect Rivals, Quantum Break and of course project spark on top of Ryse and Forza at launch. Also we haven't seen the Black Tusk stuff or whatever People Can Fly or working on atm. Rumours of Crackdown suggest we might see that again at some point and god knows what MS is working on in japan. There have been rumours of a Ryse sequel already and rare has been talking about revisiting old franchises.

They say they've spent $1b developing new games to push X1, I don't think you can just say their 1st party support will be rubbish because it has been for the last 5 years. There is a comparable amount of titles on both platforms to look forward to - this competition can only be great for all of us.

I think he can, as you can only go off the facts you have. they've brought nothing of interest to the table in the last 5 years, I hope that changes.

There are plenty of internal studios at MS and Sony and they all do lot of different things.

Sony have some awesome studios that make some really well made games like Gran Turismo and Uncharted. Plus studios like Sony Santa Monica came really push the PlayStation hardware (God of War games looked great at the time) and do really well helping 3 party studios with development like they did with Thatgamecompany (on games like Journey).

From what I can tell MS has a lot of internal studios at the moment and a lot of them are new.
A lot of the studios do other things as well. For example Soho Productions made the game Kinect Sesame Street TV but also developed the Sky app for the 360 (think I remember seeing a video of them demoing the Upload Studio software too).

MS has a LOT of new studios with up and coming projects so they seem to have put themselves in gear for next gen, with the number of studios as it stands now, they are about on par with Sony. But I guess we'll have to see what the output is like in terms of quality.

There is also rumours of Epic Games and Platinum working on exclusive games for later in the XB1 release.

I've never said that their first party support is rubbish, only that Sony's is better.

On a scale of 1-10 my completely subjective and arbitary view is that I would probably rate MS 1st party a 4 but if you also add the 2nd/3rd party stuff to rate exclusives as a whole it comes up to a 6. Some years are better than others but they haven't had a real corker since 2007 (06 and 07 were brilliant, 08 was decent but it's been pretty average from there and 2013 would probably rate a 0 for the 360!).

Nintendo rate a 7, they used to be much higher but they've allowed a few ips to get stale of late. Signs are that they might be on the up again, at their best they're a 10.

Sony gets an 8 for the quantity, quality and variety of first party games and the fact that they continue to support the old platform for longer.

Never mind that!! Nintendo 10!!!!! Double oooofffff

To be fair when Nintendo are on their game they are quality games. Pity its few and far between these days. New 3D Mario and Donkey Kong look good though. They need to pull their finger out and do another F Zero

To be fair when Nintendo are on their game they are quality games. Pity its few and far between these days. New 3D Mario and Donkey Kong look good though. They need to pull their finger out and do another F Zero

That's 2 games in how many years though... Even then it's rare you see a brand new ip pop up that's superb.

I'd actually put Nintendo below both MS and Sony.

That's 2 games in how many years though... Even then it's rare you see a brand new ip pop up that's superb.

I'd actually put Nintendo below both MS and Sony.

Agree mate. Like I said they are a shadow of what they used to be like. Still what can you do? I will grab the good games as they appear as few or as many there may be.

There really is no need to keep trying to justify your decisions in public. Your decision is your decision and if you didn't have good reason for making it then you wouldn't have made it.

The XB1 looks to be a great console and if I had the time to dedicate to two new consoles in November then I'd buy one in a flash. There's some great games coming out on it and whether someone buys a PS4 or an XB1 in November, they will have a blast playing on it.

Sony has always been strong with its first and second party and despite producing a late, overpriced console, which was poor to develop for, they still sold a lot of PS3s and this is mainly down to the strength of the brand and it's software offering.

Nintendo has probably the best first party offering out there and that's why most of us gamers just buy their systems in a flash, as let's face it, there's little to touch Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pokemon etc. out there.

MS are getting there though and whilst still (understandably) in 3rd place when it comes to first & second party stuff, they have managed to turn many of Sony's old 3rd party exclusive franchises into cross platform (GTA, PES, FF etc.) and have even gained some timed or timed DLC exclusives with some titles. This has helped balance out their software proposition a bit and they are certainly a strong viable player in the market.

What we must never forget is that it's just bloody good for gamers that all three of these companies are doing well, producing great games and that a healthy competition exists between them. It's going to be interesting, as always, to see how the new generation pans out and we should all hope that the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 sell well and that the games keep coming strong!

There is no point comparing the two as it completely down to personal preference as to which studios matter more to you.

I would worry less about comparing them and simply look forward to the games you enjoy on whichever system they happen to fall.

A better spin on the thread might have been just to focus on the Microsoft studios output and speculate on their output going forward.
Sorry for resurrecting old posts, but I've been off work for some time and catching up some things.

This is a great post. Even I'm getting sick of the comparisons of personal preferences. Why not be happy about both consoles and exclusives... it's going to be a great gen to own both consoles.

There are only a handful of "facts" to compare between the consoles because they are legitimate differences and ones that should be celebrated, not lambasted (aside from the power difference, which to be honest, remains to be seen how much different that will be).

Chopped and changed it to do just that.

Now who thinks that the rumoured Platinum moneyhat title might be a Crackdown game, kinda fits a lot of the stuff they have done in the past and Phil Spencer said he was looking for "the right team".

I've put some effort into the post now OP now shows 1st party studios and reflects the output we are likely to see on xbox one. Feel free to help me update it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom