Microsoft vs Sony Game Subscriptions

The only game, on console, of any significance is call of duty and I really can't see MS making it an x box exclusive given the amount of coin it brings in.

Yeah they'll stop the early access stuff for PlayStation players but other than that I don't really see anything to be worried about.

Sony have snapped up insomniac, they've got santa Monica, guerilla and naughty dog plus polyphony. Really wish they could have kept hold of quantic dream but they'll be releasing multi plat games too.

It's all about the quality, which I think is something MS really lack at the moment and buying Activision won't change that, it's just a guaranteed banker each year With CoD sales and WoW subs.
the move is probably because Acivision was available due to being a public traded company and Microsoft having money to spend which they would rather spend than pay tax on it

True but someone compared it earlier in the thread saying PS+ had way more numbers which is still true but give it a year or 2 and GP could easily be hitting 40 million subs. PSNow subs is laughable compared to GamesPass considering the install base imo
and considering psnow came out four years before gamepass did

The only game, on console, of any significance is call of duty and I really can't see MS making it an x box exclusive given the amount of coin it brings in.

Yeah they'll stop the early access stuff for PlayStation players but other than that I don't really see anything to be worried about.

Sony have snapped up insomniac, they've got santa Monica, guerilla and naughty dog plus polyphony. Really wish they could have kept hold of quantic dream but they'll be releasing multi plat games too.

It's all about the quality, which I think is something MS really lack at the moment and buying Activision won't change that, it's just a guaranteed banker each year With CoD sales and WoW subs.

Overwatch and Diablo are both of significance, anything that sells in the millions is noteworthy and an important franchise. Across PC and consoles Diablo 3 has sold 30 million now and D4 is coming along nicely. They should make a Series X version of Warcraft, give away a Warcraft sub with GPU see what that does to game pass number and reinvigorate the ageing franchise with some fresh blood.

and considering psnow came out four years before gamepass did
Last gen MS games were few and far between compared to the competition, with really poor sales figures to boot. MS had to spend a lot of money and do something radical to stay in the game.

PS still sell games by the bucketload. This is the only reason less gamers have subscribed to PS Now in my opinion.

Last gen MS games were few and far between compared to the competition, with really poor sales figures to boot. MS had to spend a lot of money and do something radical to stay in the game.

PS still sell games by the bucketload. This is the only reason less gamers have subscribed to PS Now in my opinion.

It actually surprises me how few copies Sony games actually sell, I mean in terms of how many PS4/5 machines are out there it’s a smaller number that I would expect. Whereas with a Switch everyone has Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, much higher attach rate…..I guess it’s just that most people buy a Switch precisely to play Nintendo games whereas there’s millions upon millions of Sony buyers perfectly happy to just play Cod, Fortnite or whatever on the machine.

I mean Microsoft won the most game awards of any publisher this year. So the whole ‘it’s about the quality thing’ is not a thing anymore. They had the highest rated games on metacritic too as far as I know.

Secondly call of duty is far and away the most played game on PlayStation consoles. Yet now it is going to be Xbox branded and will be in gamepass. That’s huge. And Microsoft will of course reserve the right to make it exclusive or parts of it exclusive should they decide to in order to drive their services revenue model. They want gamepass on all hardware and they have clearly been buying things to achieve that.

It is nothing to worry about because ultimately Microsoft are the ones promoting gaming everywhere and via the most consumer friendly model the industry has ever seen. You can play Xbox games on your phone. You don’t need an Xbox. You don’t need to buy the games. It’s absolutely nothing that anyone should worry about as a consumer.

Microsoft want to make Gamepass the standard like netflix is and if your device doesn't have netflix you would think wtf they want Gamepass to be thought of in the same way

But you do buy property with the hope of making that money back. Don't you? I see what you're saying but that just makes it look like a huge gamble on their part

The worry is one company having so much control over so many big studios.

But you do buy property with the hope of making that money back. Don't you? I see what you're saying but that just makes it look like a huge gamble on their part

The worry is one company having so much control over so many big studios.
But you make that money back via the asset and having somewhere to live.

Microsoft will hold the assets which have a value on top of an increased revenue driver.

Across Q 2 and Q 3 2021 King (one dev in this deal) generated Net revenue of >1.2 million usd

around 650 million in each quarter. Rising q on q since q3 2020 nice stream that and not one that is obvious - the mobile stuff makes cash

Acti blizzard as a whole in the third quarter of 2021 generated quarterly revenues of 2.07 billion U.S. dollar

Ms deal is all cash

nothing to pay back

and with quarterly rev of more than 2 billion from in coming assets

good for Gamepass subs too more games more ip

wow on console? Push more rev that way put that on PS5 too

reckon they’ve got a few good plays if it goes through

Last edited:
It actually surprises me how few copies Sony games actually sell, I mean in terms of how many PS4/5 machines are out there it’s a smaller number that I would expect. Whereas with a Switch everyone has Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, much higher attach rate…..I guess it’s just that most people buy a Switch precisely to play Nintendo games whereas there’s millions upon millions of Sony buyers perfectly happy to just play Cod, Fortnite or whatever on the machine.
Yup, year 1 PS5 most played games…

1. Fortnite
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. FIFA 21
  4. NBA 2K21
  5. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  6. Destiny 2
  7. MLB The Show 21
  8. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  9. Demon’s Souls
  10. NBA 2K22

But those games are very far and in-between though. When is the next Naught Dog releasing 2024? The next Spider-man is releasing in 2023, 5 year gap between the previous one (I won't even count the DLC Miles Morales).

I'm a huge Playstation fan (not keen on the modern games) but the likes of Insomniac, Santa Monica etc; release their sequels every 3-5 years. That's an awful long time. Right now MS is buying the likes of Activision and Bethesda that will churn out several titles each a year.

digital

2 Sony games in top 10 EU sales in 2021 on PS store
2 Sony games in top 10 for US sellers on PS store
No Sony games in top 5 on PS4 in 2021 via the store at all (but two call of duty games)

boxed sales

digital

2 Sony games in top 10 EU sales in 2021 on PS store
2 Sony games in top 10 for US sellers on PS store
No Sony games in top 5 on PS4 in 2021 via the store at all (but two call of duty games)

boxed sales

I think you are misunderstanding and/or misinterpreting my posts again Sir.
Did you think I meant PS 1st Party titles? 👀

Overwatch and Diablo are both of significance, anything that sells in the millions is noteworthy and an important franchise. Across PC and consoles Diablo 3 has sold 30 million now and D4 is coming along nicely. They should make a Series X version of Warcraft, give away a Warcraft sub with GPU see what that does to game pass number and reinvigorate the ageing franchise with some fresh blood.
A whole 30 million? Just to put it in perspective 1 billion is 1000 million. Microsoft paid 68,000 million for Activision. It’s unfathomable the amount of money they spent on this. Microsoft could’ve easily started 50 game studios for what they just paid for this. I think someone is drunk at the wheel.

But those games are very far and in-between though. When is the next Naught Dog releasing 2024? The next Spider-man is releasing in 2023, 5 year gap between the previous one (I won't even count the DLC Miles Morales).

I'm a huge Playstation fan (not keen on the modern games) but the likes of Insomniac, Santa Monica etc; release their sequels every 3-5 years. That's an awful long time. Right now MS is buying the likes of Activision and Bethesda that will churn out several titles each a year.
Bethesda turn out a game every year? Is this the same company were talking about. That’s still updating Skyrim lol!

I guess I’m splitting hairs on that, that was Arkane that released death loop. Still under the Zenimax umbrella. I’m actually not too concerned about Bethesda but dang kind of sucks Arkane is a MS studio now. Course I’m not interested in death loop, I’ll probably try it for free when it reaches a subscription service or pops up for like 10 bucks.

I must be getting old but game pass is overrated! I got GPU for the kids before and they only played Fortnite, modern warfare and FIFA which game pass wasn’t required to do so.
Over Xmas I thought I’d give it a try and it was just a lot of old games, the only games worth downloading we’re flight simulator and FH5, I don’t think I’ll be renewing.

I won’t be bothering with Sony's offering either as any old games I wish to play i’ll fire up the consoles they were designed for and meant to be played on.

I must be getting old but game pass is overrated! I got GPU for the kids before and they only played Fortnite, modern warfare and FIFA which game pass wasn’t required to do so.
Over Xmas I thought I’d give it a try and it was just a lot of old games, the only games worth downloading we’re flight simulator and FH5, I don’t think I’ll be renewing.

I won’t be bothering with Sony's offering either as any old games I wish to play i’ll fire up the consoles they were designed for and meant to be played on.
I have a different opinion i find it to be an excellent service that has got me trying out many games i would have never thought of buying

For me it’s like Netflix. Get in there play demo, what you want to try out and cancel. Every single game eventually goes on sale and I like to purchase the good ones.

I have a different opinion i find it to be an excellent service that has got me trying out many games i would have never thought of buying
That’s a fair point but time is a premium these days and there could be some hidden gems but I lack time and patience to hunt through, thus my use case doesn’t warrant any of the subscription models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom