Microsoft vs Sony Game Subscriptions

I’d be happy with £9.99 p/m if it included day 1 first party

But saying that most people value the PS games a lot higher than the Xbox Exclusives so Sony could get away with it being £9.99 a month as long as it included a back catalogue and new 3rd party games each month and the 1st party when launched.
I think Sony would be wary of the drop in revenue from a couple million gamers suddenly stopping buying £70 new releases in favour of paying £7.99 for a single month subscription to play the same title. GamePass counteracts this with such a strong line up of new titles and the compelling Ultimate Bundle with EA, pc gaming, cloud, live and whatever else.

Microsoft snagged Bethesda games and EA, I feel Sony does need something more to strengthen those periods between their own first party releases, Ubisoft would fit the bill perfectly but they look more likely to strengthen ties with MS than Sony now Ubi Plus has arrived on Xbox.

All these offerings are just about choice. Even if Sony offered something like Game Pass I doubt I'd sign up, I don't have time to play that many games these days, I usually have 3 or 4 on the go over a long period of time.

Game Pass is good value if you'll play the games, but right now I'm pretty sure PS+ subscriptions are way ahead of Game Pass, so why should Sony worry? They have a healthy subscriber base and players buy games outright too.

I think Sony would be wary of the drop in revenue from a couple million gamers suddenly stopping buying £70 new releases in favour of paying £7.99 for a single month subscription to play the same title. GamePass counteracts this with such a strong line up of new titles and the compelling Ultimate Bundle with EA, pc gaming, cloud, live and whatever else.

Microsoft snagged Bethesda games and EA, I feel Sony does need something more to strengthen those periods between their own first party releases, Ubisoft would fit the bill perfectly but they look more likely to strengthen ties with MS than Sony now Ubi Plus has arrived on Xbox.

Very true but Sony have sold something like 140 Million PS4/PS5 Consoles and only something like 4 Million PSNow Subscribers and I think the biggest selling PS4/PS5 game was Spiderman and 20 Million. Potentially another 120 Million people playing the games....i know that won't happen but all it takes is for a few more million people to sign up and then buy DLC or Cosmetics and so on and they are onto a winner.

I personally had a few PS4 Consoles when new games came out and then sold them. If they did a Gamespass then I would grab a PS4 Pro or PS5 Digital if I had the money and sign up, keep the console and wait for the new exclusive.

I wouldn't go out and buy a PS Console and then buy all the discs or digital for the time being as it would never be my main console. On the flip side you have people who have grabbed a Series S console and Gamespass and do just that.

You still get a lot of gamers buying the games on Xbox also. You will always have people who don't want a Sub and want the Physical Game or go Digital because of a deal on credit or gamesharing.

Sony have a massive install base and if they position it right they could be onto an absolute winner.

I think Xbox GamesPass is approaching 18 Million + Subscribers....not bad for a console maker that does not sell all that many consoles. Then you have Gold on top of that plus active users which I am sure is something like 100 Million across Xbox and PC.

I am sure the latest Forza Horizon hit 15 Million+ players recently thanks to GamesPass on PC and Xbox. Obviously not sales but that is 15 Million players that could buy a season pass, dlc or buy the next game or the previous games. That's not bad considering I think Unchartered 4 sold 16 Million.

Not comparing them as trying to praise GamesPass but Sony could clean up if they do it right and price it right. I would not worry about lost sales but more the players you will gain and get them hooked and into the eco system especially for the back catalogue of Exclusive games Sony has.

There's so many players I am sure on Sony Consoles that have never played or purchased an exclusive game and just play MP games. Offer a Sub for a month or 2 and you get people playing those games and potentially buying those games.

I agree that they need to offer more than the Exclusives and it needs a decent line-up of 3rd Party Games as well as Exclusives and some PS5 games.

Wait and see I guess.

I want it do well and then put Xbox on the backfoot again on GamesPass so I get more value from it or they drop the price a little. Then we as Gamers all win.

All these offerings are just about choice. Even if Sony offered something like Game Pass I doubt I'd sign up, I don't have time to play that many games these days, I usually have 3 or 4 on the go over a long period of time.

Game Pass is good value if you'll play the games, but right now I'm pretty sure PS+ subscriptions are way ahead of Game Pass, so why should Sony worry? They have a healthy subscriber base and players buy games outright too.
Totally agree.

Some people forget that not all gamers are the same. For example, we have the casual gamer who is happy to rent games and dip in and out of everything on ‘offer’, then we have the hardcore gamer who prefers to own and complete a few AAAs over the course of the year.

I think sometimes there can be too much choice, which effectively dilutes the gaming landscape. If recent reports are to be believed, fewer XB gamers (of which I’m one) are buying or finishing games these days. Console and game sales figures tell a story I think. 🤔

Sony will not put their exclusives day 1 on their new Spartacus offering they risk loosing hundreds of millions in revenue

with the new sont Spartacus offering PS+ will stay the same price i expect the addition of ps4 downloads to bring it to near the £10 a month mark and the ps1 ps2 and ps3 streaming to take this to between £10-£15 a month

So your only a hardcore gamer if you buy and complete a AAA game ..😂
Maybe read again what I said Sir? ☺️

I was making the point that not all gamers are the same, giving two examples. A third type of gamer is a hardcore one who spends their free time buying and renting hundreds of games across all genres. 😉

Each to their own.

Last edited:
No not all gamers are the same but you seem to be lumping some gamers into a stupid phrase by calling them casual or hardcore. If you game your a gamer.

I subscribe to Netflix also so I must be a casual Film and TV watcher. Not like those hardcore's UHD owners !

It's just a pointless phrase which is usually used to put down a certain gamer and class them as a casual gamer in a negative light.

No not all gamers are the same but you seem to be lumping some gamers into a stupid phrase by calling them casual or hardcore. If you game your a gamer.

I subscribe to Netflix also so I must be a casual Film and TV watcher. Not like those hardcore's UHD owners !

It's just a pointless phrase which is usually used to put down a certain gamer and class them as a casual gamer in a negative light.
Not my intention buddy. Interesting that this is your take on what I said.
(Casual and hardcore aren’t made-up words by the way)

Different gamers have different needs/wants? How does that sound? 👀

What about my other comments? Did they not trigger you? ☺️

Probably best we stick to the topic, no?

Last edited:
Triggered ?!? Is this a Trump thread. I just found it amusing the terms you used. But yes let's leave it at that buddy....
Another word added to my growing ‘Best Not Use’ list. ☺️

Yeah - no 1st party titles on Sony's service on day 1, no chance. This is going to be them re-marketing what they already have into a better/different mix and re-launching it. Likely is will be a better service, and cheaper to get an ultimate tier than currently playing for all the services separately but its not going to be allowed to touch Sony:s main income model as it currently stands. Which is working for them no doubt. What has Sony got if it doesn't have the amazing full price exclusives ? Better hardware ? Better implementation of VRR, ALLM Dolby ATMOS ? Cheaper Prices for games ? Better online services ?

Better marketing (god xbox stink at this) - yes that one and much much better exclusives which are almost all single player story driven games , play and put down titles. If you put them on a GamePass style service Sony will have to accept the loss of revenue as everyone subs to play GOW 2 and then stops the service after a month instead of paying £70. Then rejoins to play spiderman 2 or similar. There will of course be those who want to own the titles but you can buy then in 12 months or when there on sale after you complete them if they were on this type of service.

Yeah - no 1st party titles on Sony's service on day 1, no chance. This is going to be them re-marketing what they already have into a better/different mix and re-launching it.
yes most definitely it wont offer hardly any thing that isnt already offered

It’s hilarious how some people are tying themselves up in knots to try and justify why they don’t want gamepass. It’s clear they desperately want it but have to justify to themselves why Sony don’t offer it. It’s obvious you want Sony to have a similar offer. I mean literally you have two aaa games and ira paid itself. And I think I’m over £200 up last year based on cost savings that I played through gamepass. It’s just amazing value. And it’s first party and third party AAA.

I also laugh when it’s said that game sales and console sales speak for themselves. Yes they do. Xbox has just sold more consoles in year one than they ever have. And we know from industry analysts and developers and publishers that gamepass drives game sales beyond normal levels. So yea the sales do speak for themselves. And like it or not this is without any doubt the future. Or the present and future.

Also there is talk it much closer than though now - Ign was saying that the they believe xbox has sold over 12 million X/S consoles to Playstations 13.3 million so ... theres that.

at 43:30 ish

can we just go back to which console is best please!!
I’m thinking Apple vs Orange should be debated next. 🤪

Guaranteed someone will be determined to prove their fruit of choice is best and anyone who chooses the other doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

(It’s Apple obvs! 🤣)

The world is moving towards subscription style packages, whether it's Netflix/Disney/Xbox or even Pret Manger offering subscription styled coffee.

Sony needs something out of the hat as Microsoft have crept up this generation.

hardcore gamer who prefers to own and complete a few AAAs over the course of the year.
That is no way a hardcore gamer. That’s a mainstream gamer - just bouncing between aaa franchise games, playing them over and over Until the next one 6 month later. That just a drip fed mainstream gamer.

if that’s all one plays that’s a super narrow gaming diet. Way to narrow for a hardcore gamer imo that implies so,e one who enjoy games of all scope, budget and so on for what they are. wants to play different game - just aaa and franchise games will mean so many great games just get missed. It’s all very much the domain of the mainstream casual gamer this if One is set on needing boxes for our hobby lol

Last edited:
If recent reports are to be believed, fewer XB gamers (of which I’m one) are buying or finishing games these days
it’s the other way around isn’t it?

Gamepass has led to more games being played on Xbox gamer and more games bought ?

I see the report about the completion rate on Sony AAA games Being Very low on PS5.

Ooh digital PS5 - don’t envy you Your opinion makes more sense now knowing that with ps prices you have to believe at 70 notes a pop 😂

Last edited:
Also there is talk it much closer than though now - Ign was saying that the they believe xbox has sold over 12 million X/S consoles to Playstations 13.3 million so ... theres that.

at 43:30 ish

I believe they have shipped 12 million consoles, not sold that many. Series S is readily available so don't think they have sold that many but I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to it.

It's great to see Xbox coming back, it's good for Xbox and it's good for PlayStation imo.

Ooh digital PS5 - don’t envy you Your stance makes more sense knowing that with ps prices
Each to their own. (I have a digital XB too 😉)

My stance? 🤣

As you were soldier. 👀

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom