Microsoft vs Sony Game Subscriptions

OldSnake

Each to their own. (I have a digital XB too 😉)

My stance? 🤣

As you were soldier. 👀

oooh digi Xbox too. What was that you were saying about ‘buying and owning’ games 😁 sure gp is a life line for you? I got a series x and PS5 disk way to many PS4 games

wow all digital and not a fan of Gamepass. There’s a thing. As you say each to their own 👍

dont know how you thought a hardcore gamer would just play 2 AAA games per year and be done tho 🤷‍♂️ defo a mainstream gamer form that

Last edited:

Caljo

Stockpile Thomas

Distinguished Member
The only thing worse than a console spat thread is when some pompous self appointed Guardian of the Forums pops in to say how bad it is and how they're above it all (whilst ironically contributing to the thread) :laugh: ;)

At the end of the day consoles are just toys and a bit of fun.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
The only thing worse than a console spat thread is when some pompous self appointed Guardian of the Forums pops in to say how bad it is and how they're above it all (whilst ironically contributing to the thread) :laugh: ;)

At the end of the day consoles are just toys and a bit of fun.
Tell that to those that make a living from gaming on consoles, they are far from being just toys, but I will agree not worth getting worked up over.

Stockpile Thomas

Distinguished Member
Tell that to those that make a living from gaming on consoles, they are far from being just toys, but I will agree not worth getting worked up over.
Sorry, don’t mean to be argumentative but they literally are toys.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
interesting if they are included in tier 3 of Spartacus (without the necessity to be streamed ) theres no reason why they wouldn't then sell them individually.

the next question i have is would you be able to use your old ps3 discs or will they be digital only ?

OldSnake

the next question i have is would you be able to use your old ps3 discs or will they be digital only ?
from a tech standpoint you would think it’s fine. I mean the concept of using a disc to verify rights to play a digital game of a different gen is already part of PSn infustructre. Eg I use my PS4 disc version of death standing each time I want to play my PS5 digital directors cut. In that example of course I had to pay but the tech to say you have this PS3 game in the PS5 drive and it’ll GIVE you access to the now digital store version of the ps3 game, that isn’t a leap at all

and this put in the context of Spartacus - ie having a good range of the very best PS3 games avablbe on PS5 will Again start to bulk out the offering of this service and diferntiate from Gamepass eg ’3 generations of PlayStation in one sub’ (ps 3 4 and 5). Ps2 games are already floating about on the store too - add more of those and it’s 4 gens of Sony classic for one monthly price. Plus vr too yes it’ll be more price this time but its good hardware.

this (Spartacus) isn’t just ACopy paste Gamepass imo this is to play to Sonys strength and offer value which others can’t in a sub service eg their rich back cat - the beloved franchise games. it Isn’t maybe much different from now, but repackaged up, the offering is stacking up imo

and keeping those aaa wws as the standalone premium experiences which don’t come to Spartacus day one, sony make lots in WWS games in release window. But adding them +6 month from PS5 release to Spartacus along with Pc release too?

the recent god of war port is excellent and with Nixxis on board it’ll only get better). Could even in time have build in a PlayStation on Pc side sub like ms ?

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
from a tech standpoint you would think it’s fine. I mean the concept of using a disc to verify rights to play a

and this put in the context of Spartacus - ie having a good range of the very best PS3 games avablbe on PS5 will Again start to bulk out the offering of this service and diferntiate from Gamepass eg ’3 generations of PlayStation in one sub’ (ps 3 4 and 5). Ps2 games are already floating about on the store too - add more of those and it’s 4 gens of Sony classic for one monthly price. Plus vr too yes it’ll be more price this time but its good hardware.
not sure it differentiates its self from gamepass but it does then matchup with gamepass also offers 4 generations of consoles games

OldSnake

Hmmm with ms buying activison blizzard and the ip and catalogue of game that’ll bring to Gamepass - and their popularity, EA already on Gamepass. 25 million subs

Sony will need something special from Spartacus…

edited. Sorry put 35 million when it’s 25. Updated now. Haha don’t need to go adding even more to the total.

Last edited:

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Hmmm with ms buying activison blizzard and the ip and catalogue of game that’ll bring to Gamepass - and their popularity, EA already on Gamepass. 35 million subs

Sony will need something special from Spartacus…
That’s a big blow, Sony have sat back this generation and living on their previous success. It’s like the PS3 all over again but the consequences will be huge in the next 2-3 years.

Truly think MS are now going after the kill.

OldSnake

Yeah just spotted that error 2 mins before you did. Updated to the proper 25. Edited to note my error in original 👍 appreciate note 😁

King Tones

Distinguished Member
25 Million, only another 25 Million and they will have more subs than PS+. Not bad for a Sub Service for a Console that doesn't sell that many consoles.

SunnyIntervals

Personally I don't play any of the headline games these studios put out, but I can't help feel uncomfortable that yet another American company has made a massive land grab to corner a particular market. Facebook have social, Google have search, Amazon have online shopping, now MS are buying up the gaming world.

It'll be interesting to see if the regulators allow this to go ahead, given how much noise there's been stateside about stopping big tech from making these kinds of buyouts.

I honestly don't understand how this makes any financial sense though. They may never get this money back. But I'm no accountant!

lee667

Distinguished Member
That’s a big blow, Sony have sat back this generation and living on their previous success. It’s like the PS3 all over again but the consequences will be huge in the next 2-3 years.

Truly think MS are now going after the kill.

The only game, on console, of any significance is call of duty and I really can't see MS making it an x box exclusive given the amount of coin it brings in.

Yeah they'll stop the early access stuff for PlayStation players but other than that I don't really see anything to be worried about.

Sony have snapped up insomniac, they've got santa Monica, guerilla and naughty dog plus polyphony. Really wish they could have kept hold of quantic dream but they'll be releasing multi plat games too.

It's all about the quality, which I think is something MS really lack at the moment and buying Activision won't change that, it's just a guaranteed banker each year With CoD sales and WoW subs.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
25 Million, only another 25 Million and they will have more subs than PS+. Not bad for a Sub Service for a Console that doesn't sell that many consoles.
xbox live gold compared to ps+ is the more like for like comparison

gamepass compared to psnow is the like for like comparison

King Tones

Distinguished Member
xbox live gold compared to ps+ is the more like for like comparison

gamepass compared to psnow is the like for like comparison
True but someone compared it earlier in the thread saying PS+ had way more numbers which is still true but give it a year or 2 and GP could easily be hitting 40 million subs. PSNow subs is laughable compared to GamesPass considering the install base imo

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Personally I don't play any of the headline games these studios put out, but I can't help feel uncomfortable that yet another American company has made a massive land grab to corner a particular market. Facebook have social, Google have search, Amazon have online shopping, now MS are buying up the gaming world.

It'll be interesting to see if the regulators allow this to go ahead, given how much noise there's been stateside about stopping big tech from making these kinds of buyouts.

I honestly don't understand how this makes any financial sense though. They may never get this money back. But I'm no accountant!

This isn’t a case of losing $68b that they need to make back, it’s trading an amount of money for assets of said value. Making back $68b isn’t a consideration. You don’t buy a property for its rental income and think, oh now I’ve got to make back £400K before the purchase makes sense!.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification