1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft TV sucks!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by michaelab, Sep 30, 2002.

1. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Some of you may remember me posting about my new digital cable TV service from TV Cabo in Portugal (see this thread). It used the "Microsoft TV" platform.

Well, my 3 months trial period is up, I'm returning the box and getting back my €147 deposit.

To cut a long story short, the box hardly ever worked, crashed at least once every 24hrs, couldn't be relied upon to make HDD recordings (about a 25% success rate) and was generally a total nuiscance. The 'service' was also cr*p: a load of intrusive 'icons' on the TV screen, some of which were impossible to remove (even on films) and generally a load of services I didn't need or want, mostly just full of advertising anyway.

The one advantage that the system gave me, a crystal clear digital TV picture, I have achieved with my Philips DVDR 890 DVD recorder who's tuner, amazingly, has massively improved my TV picture.

The much heralded 'upgrade' to the service hasn't materialised yet and I wanted to get back my deposit whilst I still could.

Trust Microsoft to be involved again in charging users to beta test a product that is a total shambles.

Sorry about the rant - just had to get it off my chest!

Michael.