1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

microsoft trying to buy the big N again

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by snake II, Aug 4, 2004.

1. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What the hell, although if they purchased nintendo , nintendo will have an advantage over sony, i.e. good first/ second party titles from nintendo and 3rd party and online system from microsoft., yet knowing microsoft they will try to control all of nintendo if they had the oppotunity, nintendo is and always has been the best hardware and software developer in video games, although they have been in some tough times I wouldnt want them to be forced to produce games quicklyby some large force with big money which have no good knowledge of the gaming market, they will lose their independance. what are your thoughts?

2. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    what are your thoughts? - exactly the same as your to be honest :)
    isnt this the third time microsoft has tried to microshaft nintendo ?

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    If they still produce good games it wouldn't bother me.

I imagine they would likely come to an agreement where MS would hold majority shares but would have to let Nintendo work on their own so to say.

Personally I really want to see one stable platform or industry standard, it is annoying to miss out on really good games just because I don't own all three consoles!

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I disagree that Nintendo are the best hardware developer. The Gamecube looks like something from the early learning centre. The propriety format is novel, and have mostly staved off piracy, although the games are limited because of the disc's small size. Their controller is quite terrible, and I really can't get to grips with it, although the wavebird is an excellent design, and works brilliantly.

The PS2 is the coolest looking console.

MS have developed the best console, and nobody can dispute that fact.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder mate.

The Gamecube is an excellent design, it is small, light and quiet, quite the opposite to the X-Box. The power in the hardware design is immense, given it is far simpler and cheaper than any of the hardware in the PS2 or X-Box. The software libraries that utilise it have been built for developers and are extremely easy to use.

The load times are amazing for the amount of memory and that is in part due to the proprietary design of the media. I get bored waiting for my PS2 to load PES, whereas I can be playing any of my GC games within 30secs of switching it on. And I rarely have to wait for any loads between levels, most of them are near on seamless.

The controllers are the best I have ever used and have won most industry awards for design. Except they are severely flawed for fighting games :(

I fully understand some people love the X-Box and I certainly think that the limited edition ones look fairly nice. However, to say that the GC has the worst design really is a hard argument to push, what Nintendo have done with that hardware is simply amazing.

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I agree with you for once :eek: the cube doe's look very nice, i think the ps2 is awful, looks like a bloody fan heater. :laugh:

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    100% agreed

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I also agree.

Why would MS want to buy Nintendo? I could understand it before they developed the xbox, but now it seems strange, unless they mean to buy Nintendo, and not to let Nintendo release another console, and just have the one. Otherwise they will be competing against themselves, which is just silly.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Personally I'd like Nintendo to design the hardware for microsoft and release their software on it, its one less console to worry about as I dont think there is enough room for 3 consoles on the market.

10. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have to agree with Sinzer , one Console would be better :D
    The Cube is a good little machine :)

Has good look's :D , like me :laugh:
    Good Size ,
    Great Controller , I have to say I like the N64 Better :rolleyes:

:devil:

11. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    For both their next generation machines, they have pretty much the same component suppliers - i.e. ATI for graphics, IBM for processors, etc.

With or without any formal merger / takeover, it wouldn't surprise me to see a good degree of commonality between the two next gen consoles.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    To have access to the biggest names in the business.

Even my dad knows what Super Mario looks like. The Gamecube sales are based solely on the releases of Super Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

Those 3 titles alone would seal MS a huge advantage in the upcoming generation and would open up the one market they cannot penetrate, Japan.

13. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    A console is nothing if it doesn't have good games.

Sony and Microsoft have a raft a killer games titles - Gran Turismo, Halo, Tomb Raider etc - but Nintendo seems to live it's own happy-nicey world, and it just makes me want to be sick like all the drivel disney churn out.

14. John C

John C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not entirely - companies often market products/brands which "compete" (but may, say, be aimed at different niches of their target market).

It hasn't happenned much (at all?) in the console market, but look at a company like, say, Unilever, and all the brands they own & market.

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Dont nintendo already make arcade hardware with Namco and Capcom? Tri-Force I think its called, so I see no reason why M$ and Nintendo dont make hardware together instead of a buyout because at the end of the day its the games they make money on.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    No need to troll, we have had all these arguments before :)

17. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If they did join I think microsoft would have the foresight to leave them alone and let them make the hardware and software. All Nintendo would need from microsoft is the funding.
    This way Microsoft wouldnt brand the hardware but would still be receiving profits from it.
    People in Japan are scheptical of foreign companies like MS and so when the X Box came here (where I live) it didnt sell. People had memories of the 3DO!
    Ninty being a Jp companie has its share of the market and loyal customers. XBox does not, and I doubt that will change with the XBox 2 either.

18. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or could it be nothing to do with consoles but the games how much would Ms save in royalties if they owned Nintendo and put these games on Xbox keeping everyone happy also using programmers to make games soley for Xbox and GC

19. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    i cant agree with this sorry, but the games you see on xbox and sony atm are ones that dissapear in 6 months time
    where nintendo have the biggest games titles/series ever created that will still be played in a few years to come. Also the fact that most games on the xbox are now on GC anyway kills your point.

Another 2 reasons for microsoft wanting to buy nintendo
    to do some thing no one has ever done before.....
    to take over the jap market which nintendo own
    and to take over the hand held market which they also own

20. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    MS have something like $40bn in cash burning a hole in their pocket. Nintendo would be an excellent purchase for them in terms of software development, technical skills, distribution channels, merchandising and most importantly, IP.

Nintendo's handheld market is a cash-cow monopoly that will be very hard (and expensive) to enter. Free ticket for MS via Nintendo.

Practically though, I think there would be a severe clash of cultures. AFAIK, microsoft don't own any large japanese companies and seem to have particular difficulty in creating products geared towards the japanese comsumer (as with xbox).

I honestly can't see the senior nintendo executives taking idiots like Steve Balmer seriously. The Microsoft corporate culture is very American, very "cheesy" and very bottom-line performance oriented. They should digest & incorporate Rare & bungie properly, manage their growth and learn their lessons with these great software houses first, before blowing $18bn on what would be a disastrous takeover of the "Japanese Disney".....

... or at least wait until the end of the next cycle when Nintendo will have suffered 256bit hardware losses and lost substantial market share to the PSP. Should be able to pick it up for $8-10bn in 5 years' time!!

DT

21. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    edited

22. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    buying ninty now would be a mistake imho especially if they get to keep there one unchallenged strangle hold on the handheld market.the cost alone for buying ninty out would be something outrageous and with the AAA titles not living upto the hype like marios last game being no where near as good as was anticipated and mario kart slipping in the driving department.with out a decent footie game driving game or adult orientated GTA DRIVER GETAWAY etc what is left a few killer rpgs a great fps and the platform market stiched up.would i part with my cash? NO.

add to this MS has already had 2 of the top selling game exclusives that PS2 had GTA and PRO EVO these games alone are console shifters and they are the reason i bought the ps2 it looks like there setting there sites on ninty next.

23. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,463
    TBH I think that some of the Nintendo games are all the better for coming from that "happy-nicey world", I mean I love the likes of Gran Turismo (Hmm, Tomb Raider :laugh: )GTA, Halo etc. but at the same time I think games like MarioKart, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis have a certain style and playabilty which never quite seems to be matched on any other console.

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    mario golf is just everybodys golf with mario characters lol.

25. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Microsoft probably want to buy Nintendo because Nintendo actually make a profit :laugh:

Microsoft aren't going to continue doing what they've done with the Xbox - they can afford to keep losing money but there's no way their directors and shareholders would allow them to lose billions of pounds every couple of years. They say they're in it for the long term - hmm, long term losses for practically no gain in market share. What an attractive business plan :rotfl:

(the difference between Xbox and GC is under 3m btw. Last time I checked the GC had sold more but the Xbox had shipped more)

But that's OT. Buying a Japanese developer would be very smart but why pick Nintendo? Squaresoft or Capcom would make MUCH more sense, IMO

It's never going to happen though - Gates simply said he would if the opportunity came up (which it never will)

26. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    where do you get your figures from?do you have a link.i just dont know how for one MS can be losing so much yet continue to sell etc and i cant see why bill gates etc wouldnt have pulled the plug by now if things where so bad.very interesting.

27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Agree with you there. I can't seem to put down MK:DD at the moment.

Hate to break it to you mate, but Mr Gates is the richest man on the planet. Microsoft must have made a profit somewhere down the line.

28. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Nintendo have been up with one of the greatest video games companieis in the world, Sega and they still have outdone sega with sheer class, even though the megadrive had a larger market share, nintendo's knowledge of the market and the types of games on the snes and their business techniques outclassed sega's " poor" marketing decisions and business techniques, I say poor because they released too many consoles in a short time span, i.e. megadrive, megadrive 2 , mega cd , saturn, etc etc. Although I liked sonic it is nothing compared to super mario world, which I can play over and over again, no oher company has this effect on most people. And I am no fan boy, I have a playstation and Nintendo, still looking at the xbox to be a bit cheaper I am about to start uni so have to save every penny :laugh:

yep their operating systems :laugh: and by the way the Ikea dude is the richest now, Bill I think someone can correct me is second?

29. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    IKEA lol how the hell can that guy be the richest lol.gotta agree with the points above ninty have survived and thrived in the games industry for a amazing amount of time considering they always release last.what gets me about nintendo is they never seem to push the envelope with there hardware not graphically but with 5.1 hard drives dvd drives and i know its just a games machine but if its for a kids room how many parents are gonna buy a console and a dvd player when they can have it all in one.i remember paying a small fortune to get streetfighter imported with a multi region adapter lol and the quality and awesome playabillity that was super mario on the snes.my mates had megadrives and i did envy some of the madden releases etc but on the whole i was loving my snes to much lol i did miss swapping games though.

imho ninty have slipped in there games and originallity and are relying a bit to much on mario and rehashes of older titles.i think if anything bill gates should be looking else where,maybe getting sega to do xbox only versions of some of there titles and maybe get a strangle hold on some class games the way sony tied up pro evo and gta etc and nintendo have got resi (damn you nintendo damn you to hell lol).

besides i think its just a throw away comment and means very little probably just testing the water with ninty.

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,130
    M$ have made around a $1.2 billion loss in their home entertainment (basically X-Box) department (in 2003) but they made a net profit overall of around $10 billion in 2003. You can view their annual reports etc. (if you have trouble sleeping that is :D ) on their website.

Nintendo are a great games developer with a fantastic history. For a company that just does games they are in good financial shape but obviously no where near the size of M$.

I'd like to see a M$ & Ninty merger as I think it would give Sony a kick up the arse as frankly they've had it way too easy so far. The market needs someone to really compete with the Playstation brand when it comes to gaming and a company with Nintendo's ability to create superb games along with M$'s money would be a decent competetor I feel!