1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft to include full RAW support

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dejongj, Jun 1, 2005.

1. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Interesting article, especially for those who are convinced RAW equals post processing....Soon there will be even less arguments to support the case and potentially a blow for Adobe's DNG initiative.....

http://news.com.com/Longhorn+to+get+raw+image+support/2100-1016_3-5727545.html

What is interesting to see is that not only will Longhorn get native RAW support including printing, but that an intermediate powertoy will be released for XP for viewing/previewing and printing of RAW images....

JPEG is dead, long live the new King...Well not quite yet ;-) Then again I can already do all that using Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.....Just hope that the EXIF stored 'shot' data will be used like with Capture and ACR so there is no postprocessing required...

2. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Interesting read, so would Windows have regular updates for the new cameras I wonder?

ASH1

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    woooo a substandard microsoft support system, cant wait!

jpeg is not dead, jpeg and gif are ideal for computer use as they are compressed, small filesizes and work perfectly on all browsers

7mb images on websites would really **** me off :lesson:

4. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    That sounds like just what I need, anyone have any idea how to get hold of a 'powertoy'? will it be available from windows update or something?

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,753
    A couple of dumb questios here as I know nothing about RAW files-
    What are the advantages of RAW files ?
    Is it only DSLRs that allow you to shoot RAW files ?

6. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Someone more qualified will probably answer this better for you, but a RAW file (sometimes known as a digital negative) is basically the entire uncompressed, unprocessed data file taken straight from the camera sensor. It is probably about 8x bigger than a jpeg file of the same photo depending on compression which means you get 8x less photos on your memory card but the advantage is the ability to edit the exposure of the photo.

7. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, many of the better cameras let you shoot RAW, but a lot of the DSLRs also allow you to capture RAW & JPEG images simultaneously. There are plenty of arguments about which to use, which I'm not going to get into, but it's probably horses for courses. RAW is more versatile, but the images are a lot bigger, take longer to write - which is an issue with some cameras/cards - and always need post processing. I sometimes use RAW for personal photography, particularly if the shot/lighting is tricky - but I generally use JPEG for everyday stuff and work. The work shots go into loss asssessment reports and clients just want sharp, clear, images - they're not too worried about the nuances of exposure, colour balance etc, and I can't be bothered with the additional processing for this application.

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Powertoys are little bits of unsupported microsoft software which can be downloaded from Microsoft...Some are really handy, some are not...Keep an eye out or signup on Microsoft for their download communications...

@MartynK: Whilst I agree with most what you say I definitely do not agree that RAW always need post processing. That is just absolutely not true. The advantage of RAW compared to JPEG is that all your camera settings (like curves, image vividness etc..all those custom settings that get automatically applied to a JPEG) are attached via EXIF metadata. So they are applied non-destructively to an image, so if your settings were correct (just like JPEG) you don't have any postprocessing to do but if they weren't at least you can without loss of quality...Take a look at my gallery as per my signature, all straight from camera no postprocessing except conversion to JPEG, and before anyone says that is postprocessing, well actually the same is done with JPEG in order to scale down for web usage....

9. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dejongj: Thanks, my experience with RAW is limited, as I said, and I was under the impression that these files always needed PP. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I use a Dimage 7i and the supplied software is useless. I'll go the DSLR route one of these days, when I can find one with the features I want at an affordable price (I'd prefer Nikon but the D70 is over 1,100 quid here, and is inadequate - tiny/dark viewfinder, poor build quality and no real functionality for MF and older F mount lenses etc), and I'm not willing to pay for the Minolta PS plug in.

10. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
  11. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TOMATO1: I downloaded RawShooter over the weekend and have started playing with it. Looks good but I'll have to take some more Raw shots though. I'll let you know how I get on.

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    That's the first time I've ever heard the D70 accused of poor build quality.

13. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps "poor" was the wrong choice of words, or too harsh, but I've used Nikon film SLRs since the 70s and I can't see myself paying this much for a plastic body. Just doesn't feel or look right, and I wonder about the weather sealing?

14. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes if you're taking the photos straight out of camera to JPEG then scaling down for web usage, then there is no "real" postprocessing going on. But, if you're just going to do that, then why don't you just shoot jpeg in the first place? It would save you a hell of a lot of room on your memory cards! Obviously if you go back to correct your images then yes, there is merit to shooting raw. All i would say is that shooting in Raw can only "save" you so much, then comes the limit when even the raw data breaks down. It's definately very handy, but it can't always work mega miracles

Personally, I feel that shooting in jpeg when taking pics of motorsport gets me better pictures as i'm able to be much more flexible with regard to how often and when i can take shots, when shooting with Raw i could miss the shot entirely (filled up buffer etc...) obviously this is up to personal preference. Shooting landscapes and such like i still prefer to shoot Raw with a large jpeg, just for ease of viewing duties.

Getting back on the subject of the image viewer and types, i thought DNG was supposed to be a fairly open and supported format, with a close relation to a modern tiff format, which would basically be easy to support by all cameras, so surely microsoft would want to keep it as free and easy as possible? (or maybe not windowsmedia *cough*)

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Downloaded it yesterday and it works fine
    Only works if you have SP2 though.
    you can also bypass the verify operating system feature when you download it.
    It lets you browse folders with thumbnails just like jpgs and if you double click you get a full screen preview or you can have a slide show and you can even print the pics by right clicking. you cant edit though or have any control over the parameters.

Dave.

16. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
  17. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: