Microsoft still 'Thinking through' Xbox 360 Emulation on the Xbox One

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plllllllllleeeeeeease let this happen Microsoft

Anyone else agree that there should be an Emulation loader to run your old 360 games?

I for one would be especially pleased, one: I can finally make some space under my TV in the unit, two: I can sell the 360 for a few bob and buy some more Xbox One games :)

Three: no idea if it will but could the Xbox One upgrade the picture/graphics quality?

Microsoft Still "Thinking Through" Xbox 360 Emulation on Xbox One - IGN

Or here

News: Report: Xbox 360 emulation planned for Xbox One, claims Microsoft executive - OXM UK

Last edited:
I have GTA5, some old COD titles and some other older games

I would love the emulation to appear on the Xbox One :)

Last edited:
Emulation won't improve graphics.

And personally I have absolutely no desire or wish to revisit old games now. There is so much to play on the One that I don't have time for that going backwards...nah, not for me.

I bet you one day that you'll think to yourself

God I wish I could have played XX game again, just for being nostalgic?

You know something I sometimes stick COD 2 into the Xbox 360, granted there isn't much players on and it's usually people from America but to be able to play them just when I feel that mood coming on is why I'll keep the 360 just now

I'm all for the new and upcoming games but I do have my nostalgic moments now and again :)

I really wish this could happen as I would use it a lot.

I imagine I won't be playing AAA 360 games much any more but I bought loads of XBLA games which are small and great for quick short pick up and play (I'd play a lot of the old ports I bought and some indie games like Castle Crashers).

But it sounds like this isn't a pressing issue for them at the moment.

I'd like to get rid of my 360 too, I still have a backlog of games both retail and download that I've not played. There are a few games my kids still like playing.
Also, rock band 3. I still go back to that occasionally and have spent quite a bit on songs for it. I really wouldn't wanna just chuck all that away.

It would be nice if this did happen but i doubt it will, the more time that passes the less it becomes an issue if it's not added in the first year when there aren't many titles for the new consoles out then it probably wont happen.

Would be nice if it did though especially if you could download your digital purchases, i converted my 360 collection to digital so have about 90 360 games on my 360 hard drive which would be nice to have access to on the One, if only so I don't have to switch inputs to play Rocksmith!

Last edited:
Id love to see this happen. I sold my 360 but i miss GTA so so much!!!

it would be nice to see but I think the engineering hurdle to achieve this would just be too great given the hardware in the Xbox One. Getting that CPU to emulate the 360 CPU is going to be a pig, they are not far apart in raw power and one is clocked significantly higher with the same amount of cores. I think realistically the best they could hope for would be high level emulation and limited compatibility.

I still have my 360 and still play it and have loads of games on it as Digital Downloads.
Would be great if it was added but would not be overly fussed on full games but would be great if they could do it for XBLA Games

I'd like to get rid of my 360 too, I still have a backlog of games both retail and download that I've not played. There are a few games my kids still like playing.
Also, rock band 3. I still go back to that occasionally and have spent quite a bit on songs for it. I really wouldn't wanna just chuck all that away.
Yes-Rock Band 3 & Guitar Hero.

Damn I miss those games!

it would be nice to see but I think the engineering hurdle to achieve this would just be too great given the hardware in the Xbox One. Getting that CPU to emulate the 360 CPU is going to be a pig, they are not far apart in raw power and one is clocked significantly higher with the same amount of cores. I think realistically the best they could hope for would be high level emulation and limited compatibility.
Would they not be looking into the equivalent of PSNow? Instead of straight up emulation on the console?

I still have my 360 and still play it and have loads of games on it as Digital Downloads.
Would be great if it was added but would not be overly fussed on full games but would be great if they could do it for XBLA Games

Agreed.
I've still got my 360 and still play it.
It would be cool to at least allow Xbox360 XBLA titles to be played on the One.

Would they not be looking into the equivalent of PSNow? Instead of straight up emulation on the console?
Well probably but that still means emulating powerpc architecture on x86 and trying to drive down the performance requirements as that is a direct cost to them in the hosting centre. Tbh if they can get XBLA titles running locally that would be Awsome, AAA titles might need more grunt and could work streamed but I am not sure Microsoft have the hosting centres for it, they are powerful but not in enough places to mitigate the latency, I suspect Sony are renting stupid amounts of servers here there and everywhere to try and cover just north America so I am not sure how viable it is outside that market.

In the USA, UK and really most of NW Europe are OK as Azure is well established here but move out east and it drops off and as we saw with titanfall thoes who are more remote are very vocal even when for multiplayer they had little to worry about, for streaming I think most of apac is just not viable at this time and that's not a good vision to bring to your customers.

That said Microsoft have a 2 or 3 tier roll out with features it seems atm (TV and it's sub components) atm so they might be happy to go that way.

To be honest it would be nice if they managed to make the 360 act as the server in your home and have it stream the games via the network and play that way, kind of like smart glass on steroids.

Not bothered for this now. As I said before launch, backwards compatibility is only any use to me for the first 6 months, max. Once I've got a few games for my next console the old ones get ignored.

I don't care about emulation for disc based games. (Although I wouldn't be unhappy if they did it).

But I think they should be looking at this for the Xbox Live downloaded games such as Geometry Wars and so on. I've got quite a library including many old arcade games such as Dig Dug, and I really see no reason why they couldn't get these to work.

GTAV fried my launch day 360

Would be nice to complete it

Rather than emulation I'd rather see the binary ported

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom