1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

microsoft sidewinder info

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by LicensedTaximan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Dear all we recently purchased a new computer and the inputs for my older joystick, a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback pro, are no longer fitted (serial port type, now usb). Not being an avid gamester I didn't realise this. I now need (want) to purchase a new joystick and I quite like the latest Sidewinder, the force feedback 2. Basically where's the best to purchase it from at a decent price, either web or shop. I believe the srp is approx £90.

I did by the way see if my present Sidewinder could be fitted to my new tower by an adaptor, having found one with the help of one of your goodselves, I purchased said adaptor from Maplins, but having done that I then found out that the joystick is only compatable with older operating systems, 98se etc and not XP, (bugger) so at least I will get a refund on the adaptor.

Your help will be much appreciated. :)

2. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I tried to get one of the Sidewinder force feedback joysticks a few weeks ago,but Im afraid from what I could gather they are no longer in production so had to settle for a Saitek, which would probably be ok if it hadnt become faulty after a few days :rolleyes:

I would be interested in finding out if there are still some of those MS joysticks knocking about though ;)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I'm a wee bit busy at the moment but I might put a FF2 up for sale on the classifieds if you fellas are interested. I used mine very briefly and its now sat on my desk for about 4 years without use. It should be pretty much perfect once I dust it!

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its a shame MS dropped out of the controller market. Unfortuantely they cost too much to make. The Precision sticks were easily the best ever made for the PC. Now no longer available new :( They are on a differnent field all together than the saitek sticks :(

I just picked up a USB precision 2 (Non feedback) for £25 delivered on ebay. It was boxed as new, the usb versions are plug and play on windows XP - no setup required.

Unfortunately as the sticks are no longer in production, I dont believe the feedback function works on most new games, (If it does I stand corrected and will probably pick one up myself) particularly interested to see if the feedback works on Battlefield 2 :)

You can get the precision 2 force feedbacks for £40 - £60 delivered on ebay but boxed mint examples are becomming harder to find. Get them whilst you can.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Feedback was crazy on the ff2 . It's strong enough to prevent you from moving the stick!
    Its got crazy features : light sensor on it that activates ( tenses up) the stick when you grab it. You can change how much play you have in the stick and vary the actual sensitivity ( handy if your have the shakes I guess).

weighs at least 3-4kg as well!

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I did have a look on Ebay before I bought the Saitek but couldnt find anything.

Was reasonably happy with tthe Saitek for a few days ,then the "rudder" controls broke on it :mad: Seems to be quite a common fault as well judging by the amount of forum threads complaining of the same thing :rolleyes:

I reconfigured the Saiteks controls,and am now slowly getting used to using the hat switch instead of twisting the handle for the rudder :confused:

My brother is itching to buy one of these:
    http://thelogoco.co.uk/logo-design-store/page_B00006B84X_0_0.html

...but £129 :eek: is a tad expensive :nono:

7. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Yup,my brother had the same one,and was extremley happy with it till it broke a couple of months ago,hes been trying to get another one since then with no joy.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Get yourself a second hand Presicion 2 USB off ebay. They last for years and are superior in every way to the Saitek controllers. Saitek have a very poor reputation in terms of build quality and reliability; if you can get one the MS sticks are the only way to go.

I just checked and there arent any currently on ebay, unlucky when I got mine a couple of weeks ago there were loads of usb feedback 2s :(

MR D can you confirm if the feedback works on Battlefield 2, I am assuming its the USB version. If it works on Battlefield 2 I would be interested in it :)

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I'll give it a whirl when I get the chance.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    from anandtech forums:

I can use my MS Sidewinder FF2 joystick just fine in BF2 in XP Pro. When you go into Control Panel --> Game Controllers, is it listed, and when you do the tests does anything register?

11. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The Saitek I bought has force feedback(thought I would get one of the more expensive models so it would last longer :rolleyes: ),and although the stick works fine in BF2 there is no force feedback,so I assume the game doesnt support it.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Yeah, I've got a Logitech Wingman Force 3D, but it appears there is no FF in BF2. Was only about £40 from Comet, I'm sure you could find it cheaper if you shopped about. Is a good stick for flying.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,967
    I've got a logitech wingman extreme and it's a decent stick, although no FFB on my one.

14. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I did have a look around the web and realised that microsoft had pulled out of the peripheral market. When I looked back here with all the various replies you confirmed my doubts. I'm no big gamer as stated but it would have been nice to purchase that particular joystick new. Oh well it's no big deal and i'm in no rush, but at least now I know, ta. ;)