Microsoft Repaired My Opened Xbox!!

Macron

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just got my 360 back after about a week or so being away with the dreaded rrod. It had been opened simply to dust inside but the seal was broken and I didn't think it would be fixed. I did admit it was opened when I filled in the form online but I stated this was just for cleaning.

I am now over the moon as it was delivered first thing today and is fully working. The enclosed letter said that the motherboard had been replaced and stress tested for 2 hours and they sent me 1 month gold membership too. There was a plastic seal over the DVD tray as well so it looks like the drive has also been replaced.

My 360 actually developed the rrod 3 hours before I went to get GTAIV at midnight. I purchased an Elite so I could play which means I am now going to sell the repaired Xbox after I have copied all my save games via memory unit.

Just wanted to let you all know though it appears MS will repair your 360 evan if it has been opened and I couldn't be more happy with the service.

:clap:

I am now over the moon as it was delivered first thing today and is fully working. The enclosed letter said that the motherboard had been replaced and stress tested for 2 hours and they sent me 1 month gold membership too. There was a plastic seal over the DVD tray as well so it looks like the drive has also been replaced.
I also got the same part replaced and accompanying letter and Live code, it's standard issue. The seal on the drive is standard procedure, like when you buy a new 360, if they haven't marked that the drive was replaced, like the mobo, then it's still the original drive.

That is great news for you mate and good luck getting a high price for it!

Just wanted to let you all know though it appears MS will repair your 360 evan if it has been opened and I couldn't be more happy with the service.

:clap:

Yeah i opened mine to add uprated cooling fans they also repaired it without any problems...

BB

Is the new motherboard the same as what was sent back. Has the cooling system changed?

What I'm getting at, mine just been picked up today (3 RROD), it's a 2006 model and I'm hoping when it's returned, it's either replaced with a new Falcon chipset model, or it's been repaired with a modified cooling system.

It's my 4th console failure - So I'll be into em big time once it comes back for compo. returned no#2 and #3 I recieved 2 free games.

Is the new motherboard the same as what was sent back. Has the cooling system changed?

What I'm getting at, mine just been picked up today (3 RROD), it's a 2006 model and I'm hoping when it's returned, it's either replaced with a new Falcon chipset model, or it's been repaired with a modified cooling system.
Only my mobo was replaced and I assume it's a pre-Falcon one because I believe those boards were designed around the HDMI port and everything else in my January 2006 Premium is the same and it's still as hot as it was prior to the repair. Mine never had three red lights ever and was repaired after an E74 error and one red light.

It's my 4th console failure - So I'll be into em big time once it comes back for compo. returned no#2 and #3 I recieved 2 free games.

They do add an additional heat sink for the GPU. It will be the same 1st gen motherboard...no chance of a falcon.

I had mine back again few days ago and it had an old Hitach 47D (December 2005) drive in it...last one had a benq...This is a replacement machine instead of a repair but its still an old 1st gen board.

As far as I know the new heatsink has always been added to repaired machines so if you are on your fourth I would not hold your breath that the next one will last any longer than previous ones you’ve had :thumbsdow

I have opened mine up and added uprated "whisper" fans which run off 12v (or 5v switched) from the DVD drive...they sound like a small plane taking off but do shift allot of air out the back...

BB

I also got the same part replaced and accompanying letter and Live code, it's standard issue. The seal on the drive is standard procedure, like when you buy a new 360, if they haven't marked that the drive was replaced, like the mobo, then it's still the original drive.

Nope, just received mine back today, on the repair list it stated that only the motherboard had been replaced, however, the original Hitachi drive had been switched for a Benq or one of the new Lite-ons.

Nope, just received mine back today, on the repair list it stated that only the motherboard had been replaced, however, the original Hitachi drive had been switched for a Benq or one of the new Lite-ons.
That's interesting. I was hoping I would get a new drive. Oh well, the BenQ in the HDMI Falcon Arcade I used while mine was away was just as noisy as the Hitachi in my Premium.

That's interesting. I was hoping I would get a new drive. Oh well, the BenQ in the HDMI Falcon Arcade I used while mine was away was just as noisy as the Hitachi in my Premium.

Indeed, this new drive if anything is louder than my old Hitachi. A noisy fecker indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom