Microsoft Packaging and selling refurbs as NEW

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by beasty54, Sep 14, 2007.

1. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I picked up a core system from Argos today and when i got it home i noticed it looked quite grubby. I had a real good check over the whole thing and it has quite a few grubby fingerprints on it and you can clearly see where the silver warranty sticker had been removed and a new one put on in a different place.
    I came to the conclusion that this is definitely a refurbished console :eek:
    Surely this is illegal on microsofts part? has anyone else had this problem and would it be a good idea to take it back for a replacement.

p.s. The box itself was sealed and so were all the other bits and bobs

2. t1m103

t1m103

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    i would return it straight away,yes i believe it is illegal to sell secondhand/refurb units as new.

3. HelloMoto

HelloMoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Any pics of this?

Was it a 'managers special'?

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    I'd say it was nothing to do with MS and more likely somebody doing a sneaky swap of a console. Buy a new console, swap it for your old one, return console for full refund.

5. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,321
    You should deffo take it back and demand a brand new console. Any evidence of tampering on a product is cause for a replacement. In your case, it's obvious it has at the very least been tampered with.

Maybe someone who had three red lights, or was anticipating this bought a new core from Asda, and then when they got it home replaced the brand new core in the box with their 'grubby' machine...minus the hard drive. They could have easily left all the cables, controllers and other accessories untouched and kept their old ones. They could have then taken this back and got a refund saying they hadn't used it. Then maybe you were the unsuspecting recipient?

Just an idea...quite a good one actually:devil::devil::devil:

6. wellladida

wellladida

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    i dont think this is argos's fault as argos made an agreement that ninty sony and ms would deal with broken consoles not argos.

7. j_s

j_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would hazard a guess at Argos employee tampering or somewhere in the logistics chain, this practice would cause a ****storm if MS actually tried to do this, do you really think anyone would try and sell obviously used grubby machines as brand new?

8. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I probably didn't make it as clear as i should have done... The warranty sticker is completely intact but you can see where the original one has been removed because some of the silver residue has been left on the plastic, thats why i think its a refurb.
    The packaging was also sealed and the console itself did the initial setup as usual but as i said it has 3 or 4 grubby marks, definitely some finger prints on the top and some marks on the edges.

9. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Remember assumptions can be dangerous! ;)

I sincerely doubt that Microsoft would do this...maybe thinking about that before posting such a thread title would have been useful here.

10. Trent.

Trent.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Xbox boxes are easy to open without breaking the seal (on the box not the console), and i have had loads of stuff over the years that people must have returned, and argos just sell it back out without checking it.
    I would say that is likely to have been the case here.

11. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    lol....You sincerely doubt Microsoft would do such a thing???? you cant be serious! you wouldn't expect microsoft to make such a shoddy machine, nor would you expect them to send broken consoles as replacements.... but guess what?? they do!
    If it was a console somebody had used and swapped over it wouldn't do the setup when you first turned the console on surely?? The warranty sticker is definitely a new one and has not been tampered with but as i said you can clearly see there was another one thats been removed. The faceplate has marks on it as well and so do some of the edges of the console. I certainly wouldn't put anything past microsoft after the way the 360 has turned out.

Everything about the whole package looked brand new. The bag the console was in was perfect, it was taped up as usual.... basically nothing was out of the ordinary at all.... As i said above, the simple fact that the console did the initial setup like it does when brand new says to me that its either new or a refurb and if new machines are being shipped in that state i'm not impressed

12. Trent.

Trent.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Ok, say someone had a console that needed repair, they send it of to m$ maybe under warranty and during the possible 6 weeks it took to arrive back they purchased a new unit from argos. When the repair/refurb turns up they pop it back in the carefully opened new box and return for a refund.
    I know that there might be a few 'but why's' but people do do stuff like that.

Either way i would take it back and get a replacement, and open it in the store or car to check it before leaving,(this is something i always now do when possible with argos purchases.
    I once got my wife a hairdryer set inc diffuser,hair brushes etc etc only to find the brush had hair in it and it looked perfectly sealed and as new from the outside, then there was my son's scaletric set that had parts missing and a sticky lolly stuck to the track, and then....
    I could go on:D

13. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    That makes sense and is a possibility i suppose.... in that case i apologise to the guy that told me off for making assumptions :suicide:
    And i ask that the mods change the title to something more appropriate

14. Trent.

Trent.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It was just a suggestion, and i'm sure Microsoft are'nt whiter than white, as you rightly said before, they are quite happy selling sub standard consoles in the first place:rolleyes:

15. AsherC

AsherC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only thing i can think is that a m$ employee has attached the sticker wrong and had to replace it

a refurbed console from m$ doesnt run an intial start up screen

16. Blitzmage

Blitzmage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah definatly some dodgy argos employee swapping his messed up one and resealed it. I don't think Microsoft would commit company suicide by doing something as big as that, they like money.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's been modded or something with the seal broken.

17. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    AAnd seeing as the consoles are packed and shipped from the far east, but repaired in the UK, but a third party company, it would need the MS repairer to send the consoles to MS UK, them to ship them to the far east, them to package them, and then ship them back to the uk, all to save a few quid...

Definately Argos at fault. Probably not deliberate, but still at fault.

18. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Yes it does if the motherboard has been replaced because ive had one.

19. ZebraheadDude

ZebraheadDude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes it does.

20. Simon Coates

Simon Coates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently returned my 3RROD 360 to Game who swapped it. The Game store I swapped it at is a small concession stand in Debenhams with a small stock room - I could see into the stock room and was talking the the lads who were exchanging the console. I packed my 360 back neatly and they just swapped consoles over.

When I got home I noticed the console didn't look as new as it should - the sticker over the DVD drawer was a bit grubby and sticky. This made me want to check to warranty sticker - it looked like it had been replaced. I checked the date of manufacture - it was Oct 07 - nearly a year old.

I'd been given a refurb console as an exchange. From what I understand MS have issued shops with refurb consoles for exchanges rather than the shop giving out brand new consoles.

Maybe you have been given a refurb one. I saw mine on the shelf in Game's stock room and it was in a normal 360 box. Also, what made me slightly suspicious from the beginning was that the shop manager told the staff not to give me one of the new boxes.

I'd ring Argos if I were you and explain the situation. Ask THEM what you should do - put the ball in their court.

Regards

Simon

21. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Manuf Date - Oct 07, A year old? I really must stop eating so much cheese before bed. :D

Back on topic, I had some issues with a 360 bought from Argos, they were very helpful and exchanged the console, even though the machine was 7 months old. Give 'em a bell, explain the situation. I'm sure they help out.

22. Simon Coates

Simon Coates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D'oh - I meant '06. I'd just finished Bioshock and was tired and confused :confused::boring:
    Mind you, I wish it was an Oct 07 console - with next weeks lottery numbers sellotaped on it !!!

Regards

Simon

23. rikki2ks

rikki2ks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Back in the day of me having a Dreamcast I had a console that fialed on me.

As it was outside the 12 months I went to Argos, bought a Dreamcast and took it home.

Once there I took both consoles apart swopped the whole of the insides over and returned the duff one to Argos it wasn't working.

They had a quick look at the machine, took my postcode (not mine), and gave me a full refund.

Wrong I know, but oh so right at the time :D