Microsoft Flight Simulator VR

I've got ILS 2, haven't even installed it yet, I'll have to give it a go one of these days :rotfl:

The problem with DCS I found is setting control options up. Nothing has been setup by default.

IL2 is one of the better VR titles, as regards frame rates. Having said that, my copy has taken a disliking to my system, and won’t let me map anything. Well, it does let me map things in the menus, and all looks hunky dory, then I go to the game and nothing has been shipped across. Spent weeks trying to figure out the problem over on their forums until I eventually gave up. Hopefully, it’ll run on the new system.

That’s one of the things I like about MSFS, being able to implement changes, then seeing the effect instantly.

What have I started.... It should be IL 2.

IL-2 Sturmovik

:)
he he thought you meant that, I'm guessing its Battle of Stalingrad as its VR, I haven't managed to play FS2020 yet in VR due to just finishing my PC renovation! but previously played Il2 in VR jeeZ its scary when you get shot down, heading straight down, not sure my mind could cope lol

It’s even more terrifying when you do a night mission, and your cockpit suddenly gets illuminated by a searchlight. Feels so realistic 😳

Thought I’d finally give this a go in VR, said something about wanting OpenXr so I googled that and then it was on about editing the registry or something so thought I’d leave well alone for now :rotfl:

I foolishly assumed it would just be a matter or firing up Flight Sim, firing up the Quest, toggling VR and away I go. Obviously not :D

It is. I never played with either OpenXR or the registry. Just make sure you’ve ticked the Open Beta tab, in the Oculus Settings menu, and that’s it. All I do is pop the headset on, which fires up Oculus Home, then I launch MSFS from the virtual Desktop. Then it’s just a case of toggling the VR option in MSFS. And that should do you. Oh, just make sure that you configure the Reset VR View before starting VR, because the first thing MSFS will ask you to do is press the button that hasn’t been configured, and you’ll be stuck there like a lemon 😂

I discovered the public beta thing.

Got FS running but it’s just like on a big screen rather than in VR if you see what I mean?

It’s the Windows version rather than the Steam version of that makes any difference?

Working now. Once I actually got in the cockpit and flying it went full VR.

Seemed a bit stuttery, but that may have been something to do with the fact that it was trying to run the thing about 10 times and once I quit I had 10 little boxes saying “it’s already running” which may have been something to do with me keep trying to start it again and again when it seemed like nothing was happening :rotfl:

I was very impressed just how readable the instruments and everything were.

The actual flying, I did the Nice landing challenge seemed reasonably smooth, but a bit choppy when moving my head too quickly.

All this was on my default graphics settings, so might have to have a play and reduce some stuff.

Can you save different graphics settings for flat and VR?

Not sure if you can save different settings profiles, but there is a VR specific settings menu. Have a play in there. Also, the plane you are flying has a massive impact on performance, and some of the Landing Challenge planes are quite beefy. Personally, I limit myself to nothing more complex than a Cessna 152, but the most fun being a microlight.

Tried to give it another go an got the message about needing to run Open XR a go again!

At the moment, I'm feeling it's more trouble than it's worth.

I might give it another go when I'm in a more patient mood :D

Never encountered the OpenXR thing. Good luck.

Googling suggested changing something in the Nvidia driver settings should help with the stuttering so I’ll try that.

Does it matter which order you start everything up?

Should it be Quest, then FS from inside the Quest or can I start flight simulator then start the quest or doesn’t it make any difference?

One other thing I found a little distracting was seeing two little white arrows, which presumably were something to do with the controllers, any way to get rid of those?

Also, like in the landing challenges at the end, you get the quit/restart box, can you do that from inside VR? Only way I could find to select anything was with the keyboard.

For me, Quest first, then MS from within Quest. The two little arrows, if they are at the top, are the menu that you can access within VR, for maps, tower, weather etc. If you run your mouse up there it should activate. I’ve got it mapped to a button on the joystick to hide/activate it.

No, it's a 2070 Super.

I've done the driver thing and the graphics settings probably need lowering a bit, because most is on High or Ultra and it seems really smooth in 2D, never checked the actual framerate though.

One of the biggest things you can do is to narrow the FOV. You can do it in Oculus Tray Tool. I know it's a bit of a bugger losing some of the screen, but it has a massive impact on performance, because it has to render far less pixels, and just means that you move your head a little more than usual. One of the youtube setup videos I watched suggested setting it at 0.70, but that was a bit too narrow for me, so I ended up on 0.80. Well worth a try before you start knocking all of the eye candy off.

No, it's a 2070 Super.

I've done the driver thing and the graphics settings probably need lowering a bit, because most is on High or Ultra and it seems really smooth in 2D, never checked the actual framerate though.
Well people are complaining on YouTube that they are struggling to hit 30 FPS with a 3090 so it maybe the GPU power

@Goooner If you havent already, Its probably worth watching this vid. Especially the tray tool bit:

I got good performance on my 1080Ti before upgrading so you should see some decent results.

I think I watched it when it first went VR, I'll give it another watch now though.

If its still not as smooth as you would like, many MSFS users (myself included) are running Nvidia driver 457.30

Anybody here using an AMD gpu with MSFS? What are your thoughts/settings? I have a 6900xt and hoping for some eye candy when I get my quest 2 tomorrow. TIA

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom