Microsoft ending Windows 10 support soon

Deleted member 831638

Reaction score
I've been a bit bored and decided to see when Microsoft are ending Windows 10 support and to my surprise they are ending support for Windows 10 in 2025. That seems early to me. I thought to myself its not long been out but a quick google search revels Windows 10 was released in 2015?

I'm pretty sure Windows 10 came out much later than 2015 unless I just didn't notice at the time because I'm a Linux user. Time passes by so quickly as you get older. Well if Windows 10 was released to the public in 2015 and end support is 2025 that is 10 years. Windows 10 still feels pretty new to me. I expect it will have some extended support.

Windows 11 is too much for me to deal with. Windows 12 will be released around 2025.

Looking back at Windows 98 that came out in 1998 and support ended in 2002 with extended support until 2006.so that is about 10 years all together so I suppose it makes sense but Windows 95 had a shorter life of 6 years.

Windows 95 is the most iconic Windows OS. It felt like Windows 95 hung on forever. Windows 95/98 holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Windows 3.11 to an extent but not so much. MS-DOS 6.22 can be fun because its all command based and reminds me of the days of BASIC the programming language, I would sit for ages typing out games and stuff. RISC OS had the BBC BASIC built in to it by pressing F12 I wished Windows would have had that. There was also Apple Basic I used a lot too.

For me computers and operating systems don't have to revolve around graphical eye candy and internet they can be just as fun with or without it.

I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but I do dabble with it from time to time and also having to use it at work. I suppose its not the worse OS but its OK I don't think I would use it as a daily driver.

Last edited:
Wouldn't worry too much, I'm still on Windows 7 and its staying until it crashes. Not had any issues yet without sec updates.

Win-95 was crap for a serious working environment, so many who needed Windows in a professional setting moved to Windows-NT.
Win-XP was the merger between the NT underpinnings & the 95/98 interface & the most iconic, in my opinion.

We were using Win-3.11 into the late '90s, because Win-95 would cause many things to stop functioning.

I thought Windows 95 was alright.

I have a Pentium II Dell XPS-D333 PC with the orginal CRT monitor, keyboard and mouse and box. I had to replace the hard drive on it because it had failed. I had a spare IDE 40 GB hard drive to put in it and I installed Windows 95 on to it and re-installed all the drivers. I have FAT32 Windows 95 installation. I had to take some files from the Windows 98SE CD in order to get FAT32 in Windows 95 and I could have just installed Windows 98SE on it but I wanted it original so Windows 95 it was. Its been brilliant. I've not had any issues with it. Its also got M.S Office 97 and its very good for old games.

Last edited:
Wouldn't worry too much, I'm still on Windows 7 and its staying until it crashes. Not had any issues yet without sec updates.
Isn't Windows 7 old and expired now?

I still have a PC running Windows 7 but I never connect it to the internet I use it to program DMR radio handy talkies.

I still have a PC running Windows 7 but I never connect it to the internet I use it to program DMR radio handy talkies.
I was running Windows 7 up until the end of 2020 (long after the security updates ended).

I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, even though the offer to do so had long ago expired (and the offer had been open for a year!). Once I'd tuned it to get rid of all the crap, I was happy with the result.

Bit of a click bait thread title isn’t it? 2025 is not soon.

That’s at least 1 pandemic, 1 world war and 50 prime ministers away.

Why what do you think would happen? I use my PC daily connected to the internet without any issues at all, in fact I think Windows 7 Ultimate was and still is the best OS microsoft ever made.
I have always ran with a decent internet security suite, Chrome browser and Thunderbird Mail which is constantly updated. It continues to provide reliability with productivity (and compatibility) and hasn't missed a beat in 8 years, not even a sniff of a virus/malware any any other untoward security problems, just solid dependable usability without all the spyware and advertising crap of the newer MS OS, not to mention the childish looking tiles, unreliability/compatibility issues.

I mean what sort of idiot designs an operating system that when fails to start or crashes needs to actually work before you can repair it, yep that'd be windows 10.

While your correct the issue is Win 7 is not longer patched so as new vulnerabilities are discovered and exploited Microsoft wont fix them anymore and they can be exploited more or just become used by more people. So irrelevant of any other applications you have which are up to date, your Base OS can be manipulated. Its about your desire to stop security risk rather than certainty/stability at this stage.

As a home user you have less to lose than a business hence end of life for an OS is more important to them. But its nothing to do with stability and everything to do with what someone can possible do to you, Ask yourself this, will you use win 7 for five more years? Would you feel safe in ten more years ? Everyone upgrades at some point no matter how much X OS is the best one so its coming and between now and then is your level of risk which you get to control of course. Or what tends to push people on it the day some app or game they like is no longer supported on there aging OS and they have a reason to move on.

Last edited:
Why what do you think would happen? I use my PC daily connected to the internet without any issues at all, in fact I think Windows 7 Ultimate was and still is the best OS microsoft ever made.
I have always ran with a decent internet security suite, Chrome browser and Thunderbird Mail which is constantly updated. It continues to provide reliability with productivity (and compatibility) and hasn't missed a beat in 8 years, not even a sniff of a virus/malware any any other untoward security problems, just solid dependable usability without all the spyware and advertising crap of the newer MS OS, not to mention the childish looking tiles, unreliability/compatibility issues.

I mean what sort of idiot designs an operating system that when fails to start or crashes needs to actually work before you can repair it, yep that'd be windows 10.
I don't think much would happen but I don't want to run risks. I think its important to have an updated system with security updates for the computers that are going to be connected to the internet.

I've come across so many computers running Windows 7 and all of them have come to a crawling speed to the point where they are barely usable and people have asked me to sort them out.

Last edited:
I don't think much would happen but I don't want to run risks. I think its important to have an updated system with security updates for the computers that are going to be connected to the internet.

I've come across so many computers running Windows 7 and all of them have come to a crawling speed to the point where they are barely usable and people have asked me to sort them out.

Mine runs just fine, responsive and snappy, and only using 8gb Ram with an i5 2500k, Samsung Evo SSD, 1% CPU usage and 30% mem while typing this.

I tried windows 10, and it was totally hopeless, nothing worked properly, couldn't find drivers for things, half of my software wasn't compatible including MS Office neither was my Force Feedback Steering wheel and pedals. Simple tasks were overly complicated and convoluted, it was a joke.

Have no such problems in 7, anything I plug into USB gets recognized immediately and drivers load without issues, no BSOD's no slowdowns or freezing. I will continue to use it for as long as I can because I will no doubt have to buy all new hardware and software just to get it back to where I am now.

Can I ask when this bad time whe you tried window 10 was, I mean how recent was it and how old if your version of office ? If it was when window 10 was new you likely find its changed now

I dont agree that things run slow on windows 7 compared to 10, I find 10 boots faster on the same hardware thats true but my otherwise its similar once its loaded.

Can I ask when this bad time whe you tried window 10 was, I mean how recent was it and how old if your version of office ? If it was when window 10 was new you likely find its changed now

I dont agree that things run slow on windows 7 compared to 10, I find 10 boots faster on the same hardware thats true but my otherwise its similar once its loaded.
Admittedly it was just after windows 8.1 and when windows 10 was released and on a different machine as I dont think at the time my hardware worked with windows 10.
I am still using Office 2003 with service pack 3, does all I need and reads all the new doc types . I also have Office 2007 and 2010 but didn't like them, office 2010 wouldn't work on my PC, so reverted to 2003, I like things simple and easy to use which is why I like 2003 and Win 7.

I thought I had a reasonably high-spec PC (HP with 16Gb RAM running Windows 10 64-bit) yet it is telling me that it isn't suitable for Windows 11. I have absolutely no idea why.

I thought I had a reasonably high-spec PC (HP with 16Gb RAM running Windows 10 64-bit) yet it is telling me that it isn't suitable for Windows 11. I have absolutely no idea why.
It will likely be the CPU requirement. My crappy PC at work is Win 11 ready, but not my home one.

I have had the same problem. I have two laptops, one was expensive when I got it (for me anyway) but the last one was under ÂŁ190 and this one I have moved over to windows 11.

After reading about how bad w11 is and its silly hardware requirements I have no intention of ever switching to w11, I'd rather go over to one of the Linux distro's. Microsoft have really done it this time, I think they will lose so many users over this.

After reading about how bad w11 is
Such as what? I haven't heard anything bad about Windows 11, beyond the usual 'things have changed' complaints and the usual teething troubles a major new OS release has as everything is shaken down. Both of which happen every time we get a new Windows release and haven't affected it's popularity yet.

Windows 11 seems to have gone down fairly well. This isn't another Windows ME or Windows 8.

The year-based hardware requirements are silly, although an awful lot of other tech companies have been doing that for years so you might find it tricky to get a computer where none of the companies support their hardware that way.

The latest version of Windows permanently disabled the Wi-Fi & Bluetooth on a couple of my old Thinkpads.

One I reformatted & set up with Linux, but there's one feature I need that it doesn't do, previewing images in an external drive, like a phone plugged into it.

The other is connected via Ethernet, so doesn't need Wi-Fi or bluetooth.

Probably secure boot / TPM.

There are a few things about Win11 I don't like so, for the time being, I'll stay with Win10 on my main two machines. I have two much older machines and neither of them is Win11 compatible. They are both actually running Win11 - I'll say "perfectly well" but caveat that with that they aren't used much. The point, though, is - just because they say it's not compatible does not mean it's not compatible. The older machine is a 2nd Gen i5 with 8g RAM and no TPM etc., and dates back to Windows 7.

I wroite up what I had to do here

There are a few things about Win11 I don't like so, for the time being, I'll stay with Win10 on my main two machines. I have two much older machines and neither of them is Win11 compatible. They are both actually running Win11 - I'll say "perfectly well" but caveat that with that they aren't used much. The point, though, is - just because they say it's not compatible does not mean it's not compatible. The older machine is a 2nd Gen i5 with 8g RAM and no TPM etc., and dates back to Windows 7.

I wroite up what I had to do here

Same here, I reviewed a PC with Windows 11 on it and hated it.

It might be fine if you are new to Windows but if you know what you are doing they have gone out of their way to add unnecessary steps to previously easy tasks.

I've heard that some PC's can't take Win11 because the MBO doesn't have a "special chip" - this is probably one that G'tees your personal data is spread around the Major players while saying they are being keen to protect your information (or similar words).
The answer might be Linux, like Ubuntu - with a reasonable spec Speed+RAM it can be updated for security flaws.... the only problem IMHO is that main-stream software is often unavailable unless you use WINE to create a virtual Win-PC... but one suspects that may then allow internet flaws to wreck the party.
With a "Free OS" folk expect free software, whereas Win has fixed that and software Costs!
Isn't this just like Cars? You have to update when things start to be too expensive to repair? With cars it's mechanical ( EVS will bring a whole new wave of problems ) - and PCs it's software, that fails to live up to the Seller's hype. Maybe a few failed electronics/PSUs etc. AND now that HDDs are so reliable, we have SSD's
+One wonders why Windows has "good versions" and some Bad..? Is it the employment-duration when a New Team is eager to get it right... followed by a fresh-intake that just fiddle a few bits to make it look like they've developed a new OS? I fail to understand why the interface needs to keep changing?
Surely XP or Win7 were quite "good-enough" to be let loose on new users ? If additional Features are needed, these can be brought-up by selecting a "New" icon and then select the particular feature required.... meantime everything just works in the background... appearing to be like to old OS, only faster and safer....
Good Luck, H.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom