Microsoft are ****.....Official

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Rock Da Bass, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    On the face of it, the £100 reduction of the Xbox price seems like a really good thing. However, this is typical Microsoft tactics. After finding they can't compete on a level playing field, they use their vast resources to throw money at the problem until they achieve a dominant and ultimately monopolistic position. Then the price will go up and the quality will come down. Soon we'll all be forced to buy XBox 2005, Xbox 2006 etc. In other words, short term gain of £100, long term loss of competition.

The first casualty is likely to be Nintendo with the Gamecube launch. We've already lost Sega. Who will innovate if Nintendo are gone?

I've owned a lot of computers/consoles from ZX81 onwards, and for the first time it looksto me like the industry will be moving backwards.

RDB :(

[Thread title edit by admin. While I agree with you, you can't say that kind of thing in these forums.]

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think so. The price drop IS a good thing. It has been caused by competition

Is this the same Nintendo that cut the N64 price from £249 to £149 just after launch? and Sony are just as much of a 'faceless corporation' as Microsoft. At least Microsoft (like Nintendo)recognise that good games are the key, with Halo, JSRF etc at launch.

I already have a PS2, Import GC, GBA, and PC btw.

If you don't like MS, then don't buy one, but I will be at some point. And really who cares who's box it comes on? It's all about the games....

3. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I bowed down and bought a US xbox last week (luckily a mate brought one over for me).
    I am not proud that I bought microsoft, but I wanted a decent FPS (last console was DC which didn't deliver one).

Microsoft may have received my $$$, but certainly not my loyalty. I would switch to another console brand without hesitation.
    So, they are creating a market into which they need to build in lock-in, or face consistent pricing pressure.

Let's be honest, who would now consider buying a console in the first couple of days launch without half-expecting a free game 3 weeks later?

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a laugh this post is ??

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    some people are never happy..
    They moan that the price is high, it drops and they moan about why the price dropped..lmao..:D
    Anyone think about why Nintendo were releasing the GC at £169 in the first place..?? How about to under-cut the PS2 and Xbox..
    And will PS2 drop to compensate for GC and new Xbox price..probably, but will people moan..probably not..
    haha..:D

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Steve...some people are such miserable sods....you cant win.....now which free games will i get :)
    ( still looking at the import box for the panny though ;) )
    Hows your new home cinema coming on?

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Let me get this straight.

You moan about microsoft being a big untrustworthy corporation only after our money and continued shackled loyality to their product unlike Sony and Nintendo and the now backbenchers Sega who just want us to be happy ....

I seem to remember Atari were totally applauded for releasing the jaguar and having no business sense or market understanding whatsover. Isn't that right.

And the price cut to the Xbox is just some cynical marketing ploy to sell more units and propogate a user base awww diddums...

Oh look the video games industry has actually decided to behave like every other industry for a change. How evil ! After all computers and electronic entertainment are just meant for hippies with no business sense who really want to go bust after 5 years man....yeah right on.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm chuffed to bits. The Mrs would never have forgiven me for buying a brand new console, five games and three controllers! I thought two games were my limit but hoooraayy, no cash option :D

I'm rubbing my hands together thinking how wonderful Microsoft are for supporting the avid gamer. Rather than ripping us off with expensive launch price then sneering at us as the lower the price just like Sega, Sony and Nintendo have done in the past.

Big thumbs up to Microsoft.

I'm going for DOA3 and Ralli, no Muches, no Ralli. Ralli and Munches...No. Ralli and DOA3. I love these kind of hard decisions....makes life bareable :D

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a fact that computer equipment is junk by the time you get it home so there's no point getting stressed about it. You must expect to lose all your 'investment' when you buy it.

I remember a year ago upgrading my PC with the latest Asus P3 mobo, CPU and graphics. Now it appears I have a worthless piece of junk. Am I upset? Of course not, it still does what it does a year ago, it's just that there is something better.

All the comentators are putting this price cut down to low sales figures. I reckon they may be wrong. This was planned all along, there were enough rumours, and it may be the smartest thing they ever did. Who will buy a PS2 now that you can get a £300 console for the same money? Sony will have to cut the price big time and then it will look like a budget console.

S

10. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    I can see I'm in a minority of one on this issue. Oh well. I'll get me coat!

RDB :)

11. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bill Gates ain't no ********. He is a shrewd and very successful businessman who knows his market inside out. OK, a new console is a massive financial gamble, Sony and Nintendo have a reputation to ride on, Microsoft have zilch but they still take the gamble.

Now, lets imagine a scenario where MS can still make money off a £199 console on the back of software royalties but, being shrewd, decide to sell the machine at £299 anyway and see if the hype pays off. They end up with middling home sales and poor foreign sales so revert to the original plan, hey presto £199 and everyone loves them. They must be laughing themselves stupid.

Everyone gets what they want, at the right price. Even the people who shelled out top dollar get a couple of games and a controller to keep them sweet. Hell, even the people who hate MS still go out and buy the bloody thing.

Thats why Bill gates ain't no ********. You gotta admire the guy.

12. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they can always make money, it is just that the big profits move a couple of years down the line every time they put through a cut like this.

I imagine this cut was planned, but for christmas at the earliest.

Oh and please buy Jet set radio future - absolutly top game that isn't selling as well as it deserves.

ta

13. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I seem to remember that there was a big drop in the price of the N64 not long after it was released in the UK, and Nintendo offered compensation of a free game to people who payed the higher price......
    But of course, that's different because Nintendo is a nice, cuddly company that loves you and Microsoft is an evil corporation that just wants to make money.

14. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big Jim,

You have a valid point and ordinarily I would agree with you except for one thing. The lifespan of a console can probably be measured in 3-4 years, any marketing strategy that delays the product from reaching profit by a couple of years is doomed, thats why I think a contingency was already in place. The MS financial department would undoubtedly have asked for an action plan should such a scenario arise, it has and there is indeed a plan.

If there is any doubt over exactly how short the lifespan of such a product might be then you only need to look to Sony. They have the biggest market share, the highest penetration, the greatest third party investment and the largest profits. And yet they have already demo'd the next iteration of playstation hardware. I believe PS2 is not yet 2 years old.

15. kev_c

kev_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi RDB,

As a member of the Computer Software industry I have no love for Microsoft and their tactics. However they do have some good products and the Xbox seems like one of them. I wanted to get one but couldnt afford the €480 they were changing in the euro zone. With the announcement that they were lowering the price to €299 I thought that I could finally get one afterall. I went to the Xbox website to make sure and their on the Ireland page it said €299. Of course on Friday if you went to the Xbox web site one could see that Microsoft had jumped the price back up to €329, no announcement nothing just a quick change. Looking around I could see that the price had gone up in Finland also (€325). I think I'll agree with you RDB, making a big announcement one day then changing their mind the next. If they were going to charge more in certain countries why didnt they say so on Thursday. It definately said €299 on the Ireland page on Thursday. I think they can keep their Xbox if thats the way they are going to operate in Ireland. One would think it would be cheaper here as the European distributer is in Ireland also (I know it doesnt work like that).

Anyway thats my rant for first thing Sunday morning.

16. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Looks like M$ may still struggle.

For what is a PC and most of the Games are ports.

This could be interesting, how long will Bill support a platform which is not competing (Maybe he will have to buy Nintendo).