Microsoft and Nvidia Leave PC Gaming Alliance

eiren

Distinguished Member
NVIDIA leaving is a bit strange, but I am sure no-one is bothered about Microsoft... since their gaming division has only released 1 or 2 games since that organisation formed in 2008 :laugh:

Probably got the hump that they can't get away with charging £60 for Bulletstorm on Games For Windows Live.

Has this PCGA actually done anything for PC gaming since it was formed?

mozza54

Ask yourself this did anybody know about it in the first place and considering this article is almost 4 months old, has pc gaming changed in any way since?

Personally ms can bog off for me, they put so little effort into pc gaming and it's such a shame

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Can't see it being for a reason against PC gaming. Nvidia especially make a lot of money from this by people buying the latest card when it comes out.

Without PC gaming who buys the cards that support the next card being developed? Consoles don't have upgrades until a new machine is released.

For MS they might be looking at something different for the platform in terms of their involvement. Do they make much in the way of major PC releases?

eiren

Distinguished Member
Can't see it being for a reason against PC gaming. Nvidia especially make a lot of money from this by people buying the latest card when it comes out.

Without PC gaming who buys the cards that support the next card being developed? Consoles don't have upgrades until a new machine is released.

For MS they might be looking at something different for the platform in terms of their involvement. Do they make much in the way of major PC releases?

Their last major PC release was Gears of War, which came out 14 months after the XBox version (it had an extra level in the campaign). It didn't sell as well as the XBox version... why? Well everyone had completed it a year ago on the XBox if they were vaguely interested in playing it :suicide:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
It is interesting isn't it...

Nvidia's exit is extremely concerning. As WildeKarde notes they traditionally make alot of their money from PC gaming - but they are also looking to broaden their horizons and this move could signify an intention to move to a cross platform approach and reduce PC focus. This could have quite an impact as Nvidia have traditionally provided 'sweetners' to developers to add bespoke features into PC games, for example encouraging them to use latest Direct X APIs.

For Microsoft's part they clearly have a vested interested in PC Gaming with both sales of Windows software and 'Games For Windows'. With the mainstream PC market largely forming into major blocks - with Steam currently as Superpower - one has always hoped that 'Games For Windows' would rise to become a Steam-esque competitor. If Microsoft is scaling back PC gaming involvement this is looking questionable.

I would also quickly stand up for the PC Gaming Alliance - you may not see much effect from a users perspective but they have worked hard behind the scenes. I don't think many of us can say we are doing badly for the range and breadth of mainstream titles that are released on the PC at present (even if most are a little rubbish!). It is impossible to say how much the PCGA has impacted upon this - but we can be sure it certainly did no harm. What is certain is that any impact of the decimation of the PCGA will not be visible for years.

eiren

Distinguished Member
I think they should maybe shout a bit more about it... since the last blog post they made was August last year.

Maybe NVIDIA left because they weren't happy enough was being done to push gaming (plus AMD are part of it :laugh:).

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
It would be interesting to see how much nvidia push the technology if they were only developing for a new spec on a console every 3 or 4 yrs. Would they just do slight increments each release or would they spend a huge budget over 3yrs research without the income?

PC sales probably fund the R&D in nvidia.

Also you only have to look at a whole console costing under £300 including the graphics compared to spending that on the graphics card alone. A lot more units sold but a lot lower income per unit.

Microsoft I think probably wants to have both xbox and pc running but leaning towards the xbox more. If they developed cross gaming from PC to xbox via a single platform they might be onto something (even on non-fps games).

MS could tie up you being on a cloud based service that can be used for anything from multimedia or gaming to emails and purchases.

cabanatuan

Banned
Ask yourself this did anybody know about it in the first place and considering this article is almost 4 months old, has pc gaming changed in any way since?

Personally ms can bog off for me, they put so little effort into pc gaming and it's such a shame

first time im hearing about this?

brynhh

Banned
What the hell is the PC Gaming Alliance? And have they even done anything of note? Not a worry whatsoever for me, considering if they had done anything of significance, we would have heard about it.

What the hell is the PC Gaming Alliance? And have they even done anything of note? Not a worry whatsoever for me, considering if they had done anything of significance, we would have heard about it.
+1 don't know what the hell it is. I thought it meant nVidia was done making cards or something. I presume it just means you won't get that best played with nVidia before every game

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
JimmyHart84 said:
What the hell is the PC Gaming Alliance?

+1 don't know what the hell it is.

Here you go guys!

If you click on the corporate link you will see their mission statement is to:

PC Gaming Alliance Mission Statement said:
...discuss, debate and influence all aspects of PC development for gaming and provide guidance to help resolve industry-wide challenges such as piracy and consumer experience issues. We conduct research and publish data about the PC Gaming market. We provide guidelines to improve consumer PC Gaming experience by working with developers and publishers and PCGA members to maximize the PC gaming experience in all ways possible.
In summary then a cog behind the scenes that facilitate and promote PC gaming predominatly on the industry side. How much effect have they had? Who knows? But more games are coming out on the PC than every before so perhaps some of this is down to their work.

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
not heard of it either :laugh:
pity the 'alliance' couldnt take a few tips from steam etc on prices!

brynhh

Banned
Thanks for that info Ras. I'm still not concerned though to be honest with you. If we haven't heard about their impact, then personally I think it's unlikely they had a massive one, otherwise we'd be hearing from a lot more people in the industry about how this is bad news. That's not to say they haven't had an impact by any means, but there's plenty of other agencies and bodies on a worldwide, country and regional basis to help developers with all types of gaming. Plus there's also the fact that lots of developers are ahead of the game anyway and are already addressing the issue of things like piracy themselves, without any help or advice, Valve are a perfect example with the various things Gabe has been saying over the last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom