Microsoft admits hardware problems extends warranty to 3yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What will happen to those of us who have done a pre-emptive strike? Once my 12 months ran out I opened up my case to add further cooling mods. This will surely make the whole thing exempt from their cover :confused:.

The fact of the matter is that they should have done this at eleven months into the life cycle. The current solution is not so great for many of the people who have had there's longer than 12 months already (their keenest customers). Many have already replaced their 360's at their own cost, or have opened them up to either improve cooling or repair themselves. All these people are still no better off.

Could you help me out here please I'm a little confuesed, so I got my 360 about a month ago an imediatly paid the £59.99 for the 2 year extended warranty that has been paid by my credit card but they haven't sent me anything (do they normally send you something?).

So what's going to happen now, shall I get my refund or do I have to pay £60 for somthing that most people are getting for free?

Could you help me out here please I'm a little confuesed, so I got my 360 about a month ago an imediatly paid the £59.99 for the 2 year extended warranty that has been paid by my credit card but they haven't sent me anything (do they normally send you something?).

So what's going to happen now, shall I get my refund or do I have to pay £60 for somthing that most people are getting for free?

I've been told by MS that the Extended Warranty paperwork takes 4 - 8 weeks to arrive - I've been waiting for mine since Sept 2006 and am still waiting!

The recently announced '3 year warranty' covers all consoles affected by the 3 red light issue only.

The extended warranty you've paid for covers your console and accessories (I'm assuming you have a Premium pack here!) for other types of hardware failures. These can be things such as the buttons not working on your wireless controller, to the power supply failing or perhaps the DVD drive no longer reading your discs.

I think that you should be able to request a refund on that basis if you call their customer services. As rimmep1 says though the warranty does offer far more cover than just the Ring of Death. Many people do get problems with DVD drives, etc. These are far less common though and definitely not a systematic issue.

Ok thanks a lot rimmep and sibeer, funny about the paperwork, I've been waiting about 4-5 weeks now, so I guess it's up to me whether I think it's worth refunding or not. Still annoyed Microsoft didn't decide to do this earlier though the console's been out more than a year and a half.

What have you who are in a similar situation as me done?

went into GAME earlier this week to get my £35 refund for my 3 year total, extended warranty. had a chat with the representative and he outlined the benefits of the game warranty.....

1)warranty is valid for absolutely anything that goes wrong with your console, controller, power supply, disk drive, hard drive, head set etc etc.. be it product failure or accidental breakage.

2) product will be repaired within 7 days of complaint. Failure to achieve this results in a brand new replacement for that item.

3) there will be no postage/carriage charges whatsoever. (not sure about ms's policy on this).

have not made a final decision as yet (still have a couple of weeks to decide) as it looks considerably better than what ms offer. going by some of your comments i.e. 2,3 or 4 replacements:eek: with an approximation of 4 weeks to repair each time, £35 still seems a reasonable price.

would appreciate any thoughts :smashin:

went into GAME earlier this week to get my £35 refund for my 3 year total, extended warranty. had a chat with the representative and he outlined the benefits of the game warranty.....

1)warranty is valid for absolutely anything that goes wrong with your console, controller, power supply, disk drive, hard drive, head set etc etc.. be it product failure or accidental breakage.

2) product will be repaired within 7 days of complaint. Failure to achieve this results in a brand new replacement for that item.

3) there will be no postage/carriage charges whatsoever. (not sure about ms's policy on this).

have not made a final decision as yet (still have a couple of weeks to decide) as it looks considerably better than what ms offer. going by some of your comments i.e. 2,3 or 4 replacements:eek: with an approximation of 4 weeks to repair each time, £35 still seems a reasonable price.

would appreciate any thoughts :smashin:

Im keeping my extended warrany which has similar terms to yours, i think the extra benefits are worth the money.

As you say MS dont cover everything, and the likely hood of a boxed brand new console (with whatever improvements theyve made by that time 65nm hopefully) in the case of it not being repaired quickly is worth it imo.

Personally I think all extended warranties are a complete rip off. No need.

Why?
Do tell.....
£35 to cover the machine for 3 years is a bargain
Paying a company extra money for something that they have to give you by law regardless, comes under the category of companies ripping off consumers imo. They must be laughing if consumers think this is a bargain.

Not to mention the 3 year manufacturer warranty for the RoD problem.

I have the 3 red lights as well. The console just comes on the it turns into 3 red lights. I assume this fault is what we are all reffering too?

anyway I see some people have opened there console up to see if they can fix it (including me) as anyone actually got microsoft to repair it even tho the console has been opened?

I would like to know if any one has. also can someone give me the number to ring so i can ring them also!

I have the 3 red lights as well. The console just comes on the it turns into 3 red lights. I assume this fault is what we are all reffering too?

anyway I see some people have opened there console up to see if they can fix it (including me) as anyone actually got microsoft to repair it even tho the console has been opened?

I would like to know if any one has. also can someone give me the number to ring so i can ring them also!

It is the same fault. However, if you've opened your 360 up then you've invalidated the warranty conditions and MS won't repair it for you :(

There are places on the 'net that offer 360 repairs but I know that some of them (not sure how widespread this policy is)) won't touch a previously opened 360....

Personally I think all extended warranties are a complete rip off. No need.

Ok, My console got the 3 red lights last week, 15 months old, had the extended warranty with curry's. Phoned them last sunday, got £280 of vouchers today and have a new console in my posession. Remember the 3 year waranty from MS wasn't in place 15 months ago , so for me it has been worth it.

Just my ten pence worth, i guess it just depends if it has worked out for you, for me it has, so i'm happy. I guess others could tell adifferent story

cheers geoff

Extended warranty from a shop prob is worth getting if it is cheap due to many people say the dvd drive isn't a big problem but it is and other people have had issues with the brick power unit which ms dont cover them 2 extra bits after 12months.

Another forum I read has had plenty of people send off their box with the seal broken and they've been repaired without a problem.

Ok, My console got the 3 red lights last week, 15 months old, had the extended warranty with curry's. Phoned them last sunday, got £280 of vouchers today and have a new console in my posession. Remember the 3 year waranty from MS wasn't in place 15 months ago , so for me it has been worth it.

Just my ten pence worth, i guess it just depends if it has worked out for you, for me it has, so i'm happy. I guess others could tell adifferent story

cheers geoff
I got my 17 month old faulty machine replaced with a new one for free recently aswell, without an extended warranty. You just need to know what you're entitled to by law.

The only way I see companies are allowed to flog extended warranties is because they give you accidental damage cover aswell, which is fairly useless. Otherwise they're not worth the paper they're written on.

I got my 17 month old faulty machine replaced with a new one for free recently aswell, without an extended warranty. You just need to know what you're entitled to by law.

The only way I see companies are allowed to flog extended warranties is because they give you accidental damage cover aswell, which is fairly useless. Otherwise they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Well one big advantage of extra cover is piece of mind m8, I bought the game warranty and know that should my 360 die outside of 1 year they will replace/repair it without me having to send threatening letters or making numerous phone calls.

Obviously you dont live in Hull, Doncaster or Sheffield as you'd realise accidental damage does have its place.

I'm usually the first to say I wouldn't buy an extended warranty but given the fauilure rate of the 360 and relative cheapness of Game's warranty I do consider it a bargain. Also don't forget the Americans who intially were only given a 90 day warranty with no laws to preotect them like the SOGA. An extended warranty was essential in the US if you didn't want a useless paper weight.

Congratulations on getting your 360 replaced m8, there are many people out there though who were shafted by having a failed 360 and no warranty and did not have the knowledge you possess of the law. In this case a extended warranty would have been worth the paper it was printed on.

Well one big advantage of extra cover is piece of mind m8, I bought the game warranty and know that should my 360 die outside of 1 year they will replace/repair it without me having to send threatening letters or making numerous phone calls.

Obviously you dont live in Hull, Doncaster or Sheffield as you'd realise accidental damage does have its place.

I'm usually the first to say I wouldn't buy an extended warranty but given the fauilure rate of the 360 and relative cheapness of Game's warranty I do consider it a bargain. Also don't forget the Americans who intially were only given a 90 day warranty with no laws to preotect them like the SOGA. An extended warranty was essential in the US if you didn't want a useless paper weight.

Congratulations on getting your 360 replaced m8, there are many people out there though who were shafted by having a failed 360 and no warranty and did not have the knowledge you possess of the law. In this case a extended warranty would have been worth the paper it was printed on.
It's tricky in that yes it can make life easier to have an extended warranty but it's the principal of thing that gets me, in fact it even bothers me that other people are giving companies like Game (can you guess not top of my xmas card list? ;)) extra money for effectively nothing. It's not right, in fact I find it down right deceptive that they sell these things, hence why you might see me prattling on about the FAQ/Sale of Goods act etc every time the issue of warranties come up:lesson:;)

Just something I feel quite strongly about that's all.

It's tricky in that yes it can make life easier to have an extended warranty but it's the principal of thing that gets me, in fact it even bothers me that other people are giving companies like Game (can you guess not top of my xmas card list? ;)) extra money for effectively nothing. It's not right, in fact I find it down right deceptive that they sell these things, hence why you might see me prattling on about the FAQ/Sale of Goods act etc every time the issue of warranties come up:lesson:;)

Just something I feel quite strongly about that's all.

With an extended warranty you are covered for what, 3 years? If you didnt take the warranty up and your 360 broke after 3 years, could you realistically get a new one under the SoGA? Is 3 years continually use classed as a satisfactory period?

Well i spoke to M$ again yesterday for an update on my 360 as its been away for three weeks now and they said that the machine would be another 10 working days or so as they where makeing sure it was fixed right this time and it would never break again.
I wish i was as sure as them seeing as this is the third breakdown with in a five week period. :boring:

I think we'll close this one now as I've added the info to the FAQ with a link to this thread; the topic has been discussed to death. If anyone has any further comments, the FAQ discussion thread is still going strong. :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom