Microsoft admits hardware problems extends warranty to 3yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Are all 360's covered by this or were we meant to register them to qualify?
Is it too late to register the xbox if it is 13 months old?

Snubber

Hi,

Is there an easy way of causing the 3 RLOD?

My 360 fails to boot and has a single flashing RLOD and Error Code E79........I assume that this fault is unlikely to be covered by the MS extended warranty.

Although E79 is supposed to be a hard drive failure, people seem to think it is a firmware corruption fault. I still get the error code when I try to boot without HDD attached.

Cheers,

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Is there an easy way of causing the 3 RLOD?

Trying to do that on purpose in order to get you console repaired for free or replaced due to another issue is considered as fraud and not condoned or tolerated here.

eL-ZilCHo!

Oh this is unexpected news.

My first one died a couple of weeks ago so I just went and bought a new one so have the faulty one in the loft.

Looks like I'll be the owner of 2 360's now!

skytecbvmo

Trying to do that on purpose in order to get you console repaired for free or replaced due to another issue is considered as fraud and not condoned or tolerated here.

This is true but it is also a fact that the power brick fail's as does the dvd drive all quite common faults as well as a host of other faults that would not give you the ring of death.
Whats ms's stand on this?
MaD

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
I think theyre as bad as each other
Isn't that what I said? :rolleyes:

but i certainly aint gonna start kissing their backside as if they invented the wheel, they`ve known about this problem for over 12 months, they could have saved a lot of people a lot money if they had owned up at the start of this problem, but i certainly dont think they should be applauded for it.
They shouldn't be applauded for making the mistake of releasing hardware that is so prone to errors, sure, but for owning up and doing something about it they should. We are all human, we all make mistakes, and it takes strength to own up to them. IMHO of course.

avolee

They shouldn't be applauded for making the mistake of releasing hardware that is so prone to errors, sure, but for owning up and doing something about it they should. We are all human, we all make mistakes, and it takes strength to own up to them. IMHO of course.

yes thats true, but that should have been 12 months ago, doing it now stinks, like i say, a lot of people have lost money they cant get back by getting machines repaired. nothing has changed in respect to the fact that the fault has been apparent from the start, i would have had more respect for them if they had done this before the 1 year warranty ran out, at least people would not have wasted there money.

avolee

But they get their money back? People who have spent money on repairs get reimbursed.

And I agree it would've been better earlier, but still better late than never.

they wont get there money back if they have used a repair company, as a lot did, because it was cheaper than paying m$ £85. they are the ones who will lose out.

Snubber

Fair point but many argue that Microsoft are acting in a fraudulent manner by selling a product which is sub-standard from a QA point of view...

Fact is I'm p*ssed off for shelling out over £300 for a product which worked for 14 months. I would bet my last £ that 99 out of 100 people would feel the same way.

Bilbob

[email protected] surprised at some comments. Some people accusing MS of deliberately ignoring the fault. Of raising the guarantee to 3 yrs, and not changing the system at all. Of knowing that a fault existed and leaving it for 18 months...

Why would they do that? THe repairs have obviously been costing a fortune, it's damaged them and the product in the pulic eye, and yet some people think that MS have done this deliberately???
I'm pretty certain that the issues MS have had, are not as straightforward as some think, and that they HAVE made concerted efforts to sort it. It simply wouldn't make financial sense for the current situation to continue.

Anyway, in short, well done for coming clean, but next time, test it more eh? :)

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Fair point but many argue that Microsoft are acting in a fraudulent manner by selling a product which is sub-standard from a QA point of view...

Fact is I'm p*ssed off for shelling out over £300 for a product which worked for 14 months. I would bet my last £ that 99 out of 100 people would feel the same way.

I would hardly call it acting in a fraudulent manner. I don't think the description of fraud applies to selling something that has a high failure rate especially when everyone knows what the situation is.

Anyway my comment in that post had nothing to do with whether MS is right or wrong in the way they have acted or the merits of this whole issue. My comment was specific to how people behave on these boards and use them. Discussing ways to break your console so that it falls under the guidelines of this new warranty just because it has some other issue that is not covered under it is by all intense and purposes fraud and not something that can be allowed here. These forums neither condone it nor will tolerate it. As a mod I was simply pointing that out.

D

Deleted member 39001

I wonder if MS will consider that an invalidation of their warranty?

Interesting point, your reffering to people that have had their boxes repaired when out of warranty by a company other then Microsoft yes?
I wouldn't want to say as I don't know of ANY company or situation that's done this before.

And like I said previously, I for one think Micromart knew this was comming thus their decision to ONLY not fix the 3 red lights issue.

Mattk84

Banned
Dont want to trawl thru all the above pages so would someone mind clarifying how the extended warranty works.i am on my 2nd console now and it was replaced FOC by Game in June last year so am I now covered until June 2009 or does the warranty only cover my console if it had the ring of death?

NigeP

Interesting point, your reffering to people that have had their boxes repaired when out of warranty by a company other then Microsoft yes?
I wouldn't want to say as I don't know of ANY company or situation that's done this before.

That is exactly the situation I find myself in, I had it repaired by a 3rd party, it has now failed again with the 3 red lights, but the seal was broken when the 3rd party company repaired it. Wonder if mine will still be repaired by microsoft now?

Worth a phone call....

wellladida

Novice Member
thanks for giving us the heads up on the refunds i cant wait to see myself and everyone else getting their repair money back. I think its time microsoft did the right thing.:clap:

wellladida

Novice Member
That is exactly the situation I find myself in, I had it repaired by a 3rd party, it has now failed again with the 3 red lights, but the seal was broken when the 3rd party company repaired it. Wonder if mine will still be repaired by microsoft now?

Worth a phone call....

I think you might be out of luck because if the seal has broken they will Know it has been repaired by someone other than microsoft and they could easily say its the third partys fault and that they broke it (i know that isnt the case!) because micrsoft have know proof that it was broken before the third party repair.
But its definitely worth a try because of everything thats going on.

Bilbob

Don't know for sure, and I reckon it's well worth someone ringing and trying, but I reckon you WOULD be covered with an opened console, as if someone wanted to be arsey, with an out of warranty console, I'm sure a court would force MS to sort it with the way things are, MS know this, and I'm sure they wouldn't want you to go to court to prove it...

wellladida

Novice Member
but the only thing is the whole point of the seal is to void the warranty of the console if it is opened.:lesson:

avolee

it will be very interesting to see the amount of people who have paid the £55 to a repair company rather than M$ £85 and how they handle it, refusing to cover the warranty will surely cancel out any hope they had of putting a positive spin on this.

Spooksta

Same here.
Ive written an email to try and get a 360 out of them. I have 3 registered now. My original which died after 14 months, my replacement and my sons have one. So i consider myself a loyal customer whos lost out as they would not repair my 360 for free after 14 months. Now they are saying they were wrong! :eek: and my broken 360 that i sold for scrap could have been replaced. I have my original receipt so im hoping i can get something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series