Microsim cutting service

mikee66

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure i came across a company offering this but for the life of me i can't find it again.

I tried earlier on to cut an old sim down to size and mad a right hash of it so i was thinking about sending mine off somewhere?

:(

Did you use a stanley knife and a ruler? That would be your best bet.

nope i was worried the ruler would damage the contacts with the pressure needed to hold it down?

There will be loads of guides and youtube vids out on it soon enough.
If you do break it, just go into an O2 store and get a new sim (or even a micro sim?) and activate it as you would a new micro sim. Might take 24 hours though.
Simple.
If the only thing we have to worry about is getting a micro sim then im happy.

The plastic is soft enough that it cuts really easily with a pair of scissors. I did it with a Three sim for my iPad. :thumbsup:

The plastic is soft enough that it cuts really easily with a pair of scissors. I did it with a Three sim for my iPad. :thumbsup:

quality, You wanna come to kirkcaldy and do mine lol

Is that North of the Forth Road bridge? I'm not allowed that far up :D

How hard can it be? The pressure from the ruler won't do jack to the chip. Just cut through it slowly with multiple cuts from a craft knife - stanley knife probably ok too but a bit clunky.

Did mine with scissors for the iPad. I didn't get the exact shape but it works fine

I live in Dunfermline and work in Kirkcaldy, I'm going to be cutting mine if the micro sim I sneakily ordered doesn't turn up! :thumbsup:

I phoned O2 and they said the microsims will not be sent out in time for launch day. They said you can go into any O2 store and pick one up FOC.....

I did a little trial yesterday with an unused T-Mobile pay and go sim. I used a large kitchen knife (sharp), and a chopping board.

I used the template from here;

http://www.iphonewzealand.co.nz/2010/all/ipad-3g-settings-on-xt-and-microsim-template/

Printed out the PDF at 100% size, cut it out, then made marking on the back of my sim to match. Then, just press the knife down hard to cut down to size. No problems at all. Took longer to cut out the template than to do the actual sim.

Will test the sim when the new phone comes to confirm size, etc, but it looks the same as those online, so should work just fine. It was much easier than I thought.

I phoned O2 and they said the microsims will not be sent out in time for launch day. They said you can go into any O2 store and pick one up FOC.....
There's another thread on here saying that O2 Micro SIMs are being received as of today through the post. I don't think O2 CS know what's going on yet so are telling you whatever they like, a different CS rep could tell you different. I hope my Micro SIM is waiting for me when I get home. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper!) if you went and got a microsim, from a store and used that as a template? Increases the chances of getting it right first time, and if you still bugger it up, you have a microsim to activate anyway?

There's another thread on here saying that O2 Micro SIMs are being received as of today through the post. I don't think O2 CS know what's going on yet so are telling you whatever they like, a different CS rep could tell you different. I hope my Micro SIM is waiting for me when I get home. :thumbsup:

I got mine today so looks like CS were talking bull lol

haha, did you use a template or something?

I had an O2 microsim sent with my iPad. I just punched out the microsim and used the remaining bit as a template. Scored round the inside with the end of the scissors and then cut out the shape. Simples. :clap:

The challenge is understanding the alignment of the contacts. Some sims have 3, 4 or 5 rows of contacts. So if you get the left/right alignment wrong, then you could end up with a useless SIM.

Just to be safe Ive ordered one of the cutters, myself and a few mates will need sims cutting so it makes life easier and we all chipped in so only £4 each :)

Might have to start a cutting service

The challenge is understanding the alignment of the contacts. Some sims have 3, 4 or 5 rows of contacts. So if you get the left/right alignment wrong, then you could end up with a useless SIM.

I wouldn't worry about that if you use the template in the New Zealand site.

As you can see on the micro sim it only has the three bars in the middle as opposed to the five on the mini sim.

As long as you don't cut into the three middle bars you should be OK.:thumbsup::rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom