• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Micromega CD player and CD-Rs

D

dancohen

I like my Micromega Stage 3 transport, except for one thing that is driving me mad. I'm thinking of changing my machine, but before I dothat I wonder if anyone can solve the problem.

Basically, it does not like computer-burned CDs.A couple of years ago I replaced the original laser unit (which practically would not play them at all) with a new laser unit from Micromega. This is much better, but still not staisfactory.

Very frequently when I insert a computer burned CD, the Micromega reports "Err". Quite often, after I've pressed the play button two or three times it will play the disk without further trouble.

But thelast disk I tried just stuck at "Err" and I couldn't get it to play at all. And when I inserted a CD-RW, the message was "No Disk".

It isn't an error with the disks. The play fine on my computer, and - more important - they also play fine on an ancient Arcam Alpha player.

Any suggestions on the cause of the problem, and whether I am likely to be able to solve it or if I would do best to get a new transport/player.

Dom996

Established Member
Has this got progressively worse since the last laser mech? Have you changed the make of recordable CDs you use?

I had a Stage3 and it was fine on CDRs, but in those days you would record them on a stand alone CD recorder like a Pioneer on a good quality disc.

Today older players struggle with rewrittable CDs, CDR/W and poor quality or thin discs (most of us buy CDs designed for data and PCs) and sometimes high copy speeds will be enough to stop it working.

D

dancohen

Dom996 said:
Has this got progressively worse since the last laser mech? Have you changed the make of recordable CDs you use?

I had a Stage3 and it was fine on CDRs, but in those days you would record them on a stand alone CD recorder like a Pioneer on a good quality disc.

Today older players struggle with rewrittable CDs, CDR/W and poor quality or thin discs (most of us buy CDs designed for data and PCs) and sometimes high copy speeds will be enough to stop it working.

Thanks. I think it has got worse lately. I'm not sure when I changed the make of CD. I think it used to be TDK, and is currently Imation. So, data discs, recorded at 4x (lowest possible) or 8x.

I'm a touch surprised that my ancient Arcam has no trouble at all. I would have expected it to be too old.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom