Micro Systems

johnloughray

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i am looking to by a small HiFi/Music streamer between now and the new year. I relay fancy the Denon DM38DAB (silver) but i know it dose not have wireless streaming. ( or is there way round this)

So i am now looking at the Denon Ceol, it dose every thing i want but i hate the white & black.

Is there anything on the horizon for release similar to the Ceol ( preferably a nice silver) about the same price range.

Any thoughts

I have the Denon and got round the wireless streaming by using a cheap s/hand 2G ipod touch with iPeng, streaming from LMS and connected using the Ipod usb cable so the Denon does the digital to analogue - works well. You can pick these up for around £50/60 on e-bay as you only need the basic 8GB model. You don't say what you are streaming from. And you have an ipod touch for portable use.

There are plenty of other streaming devices such as the Logitech squeezebox kit or Sonos but they add up to nearly as much as the Denon.

For the price the Dm38DAB is very good. The Ceol is a lot more powerful (65w) but doesn't have DAB but that shouldn't be an issue with internet radio.

Last edited:
I have the Denon and got round the wireless streaming by using a cheap s/hand 2G ipod touch with iPeng, streaming from LMS and connected using the Ipod usb cable so the Denon does the digital to analogue - works well. You can pick these up for around £50/60 on e-bay as you only need the basic 8GB model. You don't say what you are streaming from. And you have an ipod touch for portable use.

There are plenty of other streaming devices such as the Logitech squeezebox kit or Sonos but they add up to nearly as much as the Denon.

For the price the Dm38DAB is very good. The Ceol is a lot more powerful (65w) but doesn't have DAB but that shouldn't be an issue with internet radio.

I'd probably be steaming from the laptop initially.
The DAB radio i could live without as the Ceol has internet radio and i get all the radio channels i require from my Virgin Tivo.
I've got a fancy for the Marantz MCR603 but it has no WiFi.

The Sonos doesn't have a line out, just a line in so you could only connect the Denon out into the Sonos and use the Sonos as your amp. Bit of a waste of the Denon as the only advantage would be the Cd player as everything else is available through the Sonos.

The Sonos doesn't have a line out, just a line in so you could only connect the Denon out into the Sonos and use the Sonos as your amp. Bit of a waste of the Denon as the only advantage would be the Cd player as everything else is available through the Sonos.

I might just go for the Denon Ceol even though i do hate the white.

Out of interest any suggestions for a wireless HiFi with a CD player and DAB or Internet radio that i can stream music from the laptop or a home network. or could i just attach a CD player to the Sonos.

You could attach a CD player to the Sonos but at the point you are streaming music why not just rip the CDs and not bother with a CD player

You could attach a CD player to the Sonos but at the point you are streaming music why not just rip the CDs and not bother with a CD player

Because the wife has trouble with the TV remote. Switching a laptop on would just destroy her. And she'll be using the CD's.

Time to get a Harmony remote then

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom