1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro system - could I upgrade the speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by barnabybear, Jan 10, 2004.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Not sure if this should be in the speaker forum, or this one - but it's so similar it probably doesn't matter.

No doubt this is an incredibly silly question (But I'm a newbie to the subject so I don't know).

The question is - Is there anything to stop me replacing the speakers on say one of those micro systems with some nicer ones? They do of course come with speakers, and I was once told that these "cheapies" are best with the speakers they come with, but I wonder if in theory the sound could be improved with better quality speakers.

Thanks in advance.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,597
    you could, but the improvement gained could be limited by the micro system.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Improvements are definitely possible if the system is capable of driving them.

I've replaced what came with my Sony CMT-CP500MD with some Mission 701's to great results. It struggled to push my Mission 771e's though.

As mjn said, peak performance is limited by the system but if it generates enough real power then upgrading the speakers is the best thing you can do.