Micro SIMs - A Guide

pburke90

Prominent Member
Reaction score
If you have ordered an iPhone 4 from your mobile network, a Micro SIM should be supplied to you with the iPhone 4 when you receive it.

If you have bought an iPhone 4 SIM free from Apple direct to be delivered on launch day then there are three ways to get a Micro SIM -

1) Go to an Apple store on launch day and get a Micro SIM for your network. They should be able to transfer your number and credit / tariff onto the new Micro SIM then and there, but it may take up to 24 hours, but usually is a lot less than this.

2) Go to a store for your network, tell them you have purchased an iPhone 4 direct from Apple and that you need a Micro SIM. They mightn't have them until launch day though, remember. Then they should be able to transfer your number and credit / tariff to the new SIM then and there, but it may take up to 24 hours, but usually is a lot less than this.

3) Ring your network, tell them you have purchased an iPhone 4 direct from Apple and that you need a Micro SIM in time for the launch date. They should be able to send one out. Once received, call them back up and give them both SIMs details and they will swop them over for you. (May take up to 24 hours remember). If they don't / can't send one out, explain the phone is SIM free and that you will be considering going to another network if they can't helpe you. That should stir them into action. Even if you have no intention of leaving your network, still threaten them and then do one of the two steps above if there is one of these type of stores close to you.

REMEMBER - All Apple stores will have blank Micro SIMs for participating networks in store on launch day so if it comes to it, you will have to go there to get one, but they will be available, so don't worry!

It has not yet been confirmed whether Micro SIMs for the iPad are compatible with the iPhone 4 or not. Getting conflicting information at present.

You'd imagine that they would be, but best to be safe, eh? :)

You could also add the scissor method (with disclaimer).
Ive ordered an ipad sim and will try it if it arrives, if not im going into O2 on the day.

I think the operators would like you to buy two sims and therefore pay for 2 tariffs one for your iphone and one for your ipad - wont be long before we see people sharing sims between iphone and ipad!!

Ultimately the sim in your ipad will have an associated phone number to allow you to top up and in that respect is no different to any other micro sim.

Well only 7 days till it's no doubt confirmed!

I've ordered one direct off Apple and have registered for a micro sim, it better turn up before the end of next week :thumbsdow

I've ordered one direct off Apple and have registered for a micro sim, it better turn up before the end of next week :thumbsdow[/QUOTE

ive just been on phone to o2 to find out when they are sending out the micro sims if youve registered for one,and was told they havent got any to send out yet or wasnt sure when they would be sending them out.........

O2 won't send one out if you call them ... just tried ... all they could say is they will send one if you have registered or go into shop

Thanks for the info at the top of the post, sounds promising. Can you confirm if this is this just for contract sim's or will it also apply for Pay & Go ones too - I have one from O2 with 11 months data still to go.

Last edited:
02 told me on the phone I would receive mine before the release of the iP4 :)

I'm a business customer, not sure if that makes any difference?

I called up and asked for a PAC from O2 today. I said I wasn't sure what network/SIM I was going to use with the IP4. The CS rep said that if I ordered a Simplicity SIM I'd get unlimited data (if ordered before the 24th) and a MicroSIM. One of their "both format" SIMS where you snap out the Micro? or a bare faced lie?

1) Go to an Apple store on launch day and get a Micro SIM for your network. They should be able to transfer your number and credit / tariff onto the new Micro SIM then and there, but it may take up to 24 hours, but usually is a lot less than this.

If i choose this option, and apple set this up for you , it wouldn't then become locked to that network would it ?

Is it definitely confirmed that Apple stores will have micro sims available?

I'm not currently on an iPhone tariff, will that matter during the sim swap?

If i choose this option, and apple set this up for you , it wouldn't then become locked to that network would it ?
Not sure, but I doubt it personally. The network aren't getting anywhere near it before you do to enable a software lock, so you should be free to chop and change whenever you like, I'd imagine.
Is it definitely confirmed that Apple stores will have micro sims available?

I'm not currently on an iPhone tariff, will that matter during the sim swap?
I phones the Apple Store in Belfast, they confirmed they will have Micro SIMs there for new and existing customers to use. It shouldn't matter, the transfer wil go through, but unless you sort out some sort of bolt-on or the likes then you may find you're paying a lot very quickly for data useage!
I called up and asked for a PAC from O2 today. I said I wasn't sure what network/SIM I was going to use with the IP4. The CS rep said that if I ordered a Simplicity SIM I'd get unlimited data (if ordered before the 24th) and a MicroSIM. One of their "both format" SIMS where you snap out the Micro? or a bare faced lie?
They told you that you'd get unlimited internet and a dual SIM that can be used for both normal phones and iPhone 4's. What reason do you think they have for lying to you? If she said Micro SIM then yes, it's one that will work in any phone but with a snap out section for the iPhone 4. You should also get an adapter with it incase you want to use the Micro SIM in any other phone again.

I phones the Apple Store in Belfast, they confirmed they will have Micro SIMs there for new and existing customers to use. It shouldn't matter, the transfer wil go through, but unless you sort out some sort of bolt-on or the likes then you may find you're paying a lot very quickly for data useage!.

My current contract (Dolphin 35, with BIS) also includes 500mb a month data - which is actually completely pointless at the minute as the Blackberry bundle prevents it being used, constantly shows as 0mb used on my bill! So I presume that should suffice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom