Micro/Mini Systems with HDMI inputs

smithy sing

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a micro/mini system that can handle 2 HDMI inputs (cable TV and blue ray player). Its for a bedroom, so I don't need a big sound, but quality is important. Primary use is CD, with some blue ray movies. Due to space constraints, the speakers need to be satellite size. In terms of features, it needs to be able to stream from our home network (wireless) and pick internet radio.

I am trying to avoid spending thousands on a Bose system (it looks great and has a small footprint) , but finding a small footprint system with HDMI inputs and still provide quality sound, is a challenge. For 2017, what are the best alternatives that I could consider? So far, I've looked at the Pioneer MCS-434, an Arcam Solo Bar but not much else that has some HDMI support.

I'm looking for a micro/mini system that can handle 2 HDMI inputs (cable TV and blue ray player). Its for a bedroom, so I don't need a big sound, but quality is important. Primary use is CD, with some blue ray movies. Due to space constraints, the speakers need to be satellite size. In terms of features, it needs to be able to stream from our home network (wireless) and pick internet radio.

I am trying to avoid spending thousands on a Bose system (it looks great and has a small footprint) , but finding a small footprint system with HDMI inputs and still provide quality sound, is a challenge. For 2017, what are the best alternatives that I could consider? So far, I've looked at the Pioneer MCS-434, an Arcam Solo Bar but not much else that has some HDMI support.
I'm assuming that since you posted in the Hi-Fi section you're only interested in a two channel (i.e. stereo) solution rather than a soundbar or full surround sound (5.1) solution?

Hi and welcome.

Unfortunately, there are almost next to none mini micro system that has HDMI connectivity. The only one I can think of is from naim (atom) and that is £1.6k with HDMI an additional option. But I don't think (by the sound of it) that is what you are seeking. The pioneer is a home threatre system and the arcam solo is a soundbar. Neither are what as known as mini-micro hifi/All in One system

From the requirements it looks as though you want a avr with a small foot print. I know of AVR's that are slim in height (Marantz 1607) but none comes to mind that are small in width/depth.

What tv do you have and what audio outputs are available on it?
How much space do you have to play with?

An alternative suggestion would be to have a blu Ray connect HDMI direct to TV and use the TVs audio output to a suitable mini hifi via optical.
The arcam solo bar is around £800 - is that the budget?

If only stereo is required then any small networked system with an optical input taken from the TV's optical out will do the job.

I'm assuming that since you posted in the Hi-Fi section you're only interested in a two channel (i.e. stereo) solution rather than a soundbar or full surround sound (5.1) solution?

You are correct the preference has been something is relatively small but looks like a complete unit. Arcam and Pioneer was only mentioned because of what I could find with HDMI inputs and met the wife's demands. I have component systems all over the house, but the instruction was clear for the bedroom.... make it look nice the Bose....

Hi and welcome.

Unfortunately, there are almost next to none mini micro system that has HDMI connectivity. The only one I can think of is from naim (atom) and that is £1.6k with HDMI an additional option. But I don't think (by the sound of it) that is what you are seeking. The pioneer is a home threatre system and the arcam solo is a soundbar. Neither are what as known as mini-micro hifi/All in One system

From the requirements it looks as though you want a avr with a small foot print. I know of AVR's that are slim in height (Marantz 1607) but none comes to mind that are small in width/depth.

An alternative suggestion would be to have a blu Ray connect HDMI direct to TV and use the TVs audio output to a suitable mini hifi via optical.

Thanks for the response. Trying to avoid a component approach, the wife hates them (have various set ups around the house LOL) In the bedroom I have a 3 year old Sharp, with all the usual outputs. Blue Ray etc. are currently hooked up individually by HDMI. The directive...get rid of the wires and bits and pieces into one, clean unit like the Bose.

If only stereo is required then any small networked system with an optical input taken from the TV's optical out will do the job.

Thanks.The demands from the wife is to remove the connections to the TV into for a small complete unit like the Bose. That's why i was chasing a HDMI based unit that can handle 3-4 inputs, but looks like a complete unit and not like a component set up.

Hi and welcome.

If you look about the Arcam Solo Sound Bar plus can be had from one of the AV forums advertisers for £299 which is an absolute steal!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom