Micro Atx Form Board with Radeon Onboard?

gphillips

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a Micro ATX from Mainboard (for a AMD CPU, Doesnt Have To Be 64_bit) - Does anybody know a well priced option?

I specifically need S-Video out, but would like to be able to run RGB via Scart in adition. Is this possible from an on-board VGA adapter?

Id addition I need Optical audio out, and LAN.

Do Micro ATC boards have half-hight plates for any rear connectors that may need to be attached? (such as optical, S-Video etc) or would they need modifying to fit into a case with half-height slots?

gphillips said:
Hi

I am looking for a Micro ATX from Mainboard (for a AMD CPU, Doesnt Have To Be 64_bit) - Does anybody know a well priced option?

do you have a preference for socket 754 or Socket 939?

gphillips said:
I specifically need S-Video out, but would like to be able to run RGB via Scart in adition. Is this possible from an on-board VGA adapter?
S-Video isn't a problem, but not tried RGB SCART with onboard VGA to be honest
gphillips said:
Id addition I need Optical audio out, and LAN.
LAN - not a problem
Digital out *tends* to be co-ax so might difficult - The Asus SPDIF adapter for something like teh Asus A8n-vm-csm has both optical and co-ax
gphillips said:
Do Micro ATC boards have half-hight plates for any rear connectors that may need to be attached? (such as optical, S-Video etc) or would they need modifying to fit into a case with half-height slots?
No they're all full height.
The s-video adapters from EQS motherboard, or our own s-Video adapters for ASUS boards can simply unscrew from the back plate and would simply require 3 holes drilling in the case for fitment. Some of the other adapters (ASUS SPDIF adapter as mentioned above for instance) come on a PSB so won't be so easily fitted/converted

mediaPC.tv said:
do you have a preference for socket 754 or Socket 939?

No Preference, whichever CPU's are cheaper maybe.

S-Video isn't a problem, but not tried RGB SCART with onboard VGA to be honest

S-Video will do then I guess, Ill not confuse the issue with RGB

LAN - not a problem
Digital out *tends* to be co-ax so might difficult - The Asus SPDIF adapter for something like teh Asus A8n-vm-csm has both optical and co-ax

Coax is fine too, I can use either Coax or Optical

No they're all full height.
The s-video adapters from EQS motherboard, or our own s-Video adapters for ASUS boards can simply unscrew from the back plate and would simply require 3 holes drilling in the case for fitment. Some of the other adapters (ASUS SPDIF adapter as mentioned above for instance) come on a PSB so won't be so easily fitted/converted

I was advised by a few people the Radeon VGA onboard represented great performance for the cash, but Ill use anything that will give me S-Video out, without having to buy a seperate VGA card.

I only have half height slots, so i may need to modify the rear plate with the S-Vdeo port and other ports.

If you suggest a board that you think will do, I'll worry about the modifications! - Needs to be Micro ATX form. cheap and cheerful. Ideally one that includes the TV out adapters etc so I dont have to buy seperatley

MSI RS482M2, SPDIF (not sure if it's optical/electrical), s-video out and onboard radeon X200.

here

Skt 939 though, which pushes the cost of CPU's up a bit.....

D.

great Ta !

Just need a cheap 939 now... anybody wanna sell one? !!

Gareth.

That's a decent board at a decent price too. :thumbsup:

Socket 754 alternatives are the ECS Rs482-M754 (if you can source one) or the EQS M62K8-MLF - both have easily converted TV out - both are co-ax SPDIF though
The Asus a8n-VM csm is a good (S939) board too, but I think you'll have problems converting the spdif to 1/2height

the RS482-M754 MATX looks good, SavaStore do it for a good price.
However they dont mention TV Out. I have checket the manufacturers website, and other sites with specs for the integrated Radeon 200 Express and they seem to confirm that it does support TV Out, However they dont confirm if it is S-Video or only Composite.

Any Ideas?

Thanks AGAIN !

it will be s-video and composite if it's anything like the socket939 version
Also IIRC the SPDIF is external (I've modified the ASUS SPDIF adapter (different pinout)) to work with the S939

The MSI board I mentioned had spdif and s-video on the I/O panel - no PCI brackets required.

D.

Ive taken a closer look at the board you metioned (which has the S-Vid on board) and it looks great. Oddly there is no referecne to the type of display hardware on that page, but I assume its Radeon by ATI.

I think this may be the one for me, thanks for all your help. THe price of the 64-bit CPUs is the only problem, as its over spec'ed for what I want realy. I'll just try and find a used one.

Is it likely to support the wake on USB feature required for making it a good media centre?

yes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom