1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro and Midi system audio/dvd hybrids

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by loz, Mar 27, 2005.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Anyone using a system like the Panasonic SCPM39 or jvc UX-P550 or UX-S77 that put a DVD player in a conventional looking micro audio system?

Having just got an LCD for the kitchen/breakfast room I was looking for a DVD player for occassional use, then as the built in speakers aren't up to much was thinking I might have to buy a 5.1 home cinema system.

However, I didn't really want 5.1 speakers dotted round the room. Something like the above would enable me to replace existing old CD micro system and put it all in one nice box.

Seems to me that the larger speakers might be a bit better for music, even if not giving me 5.1.

Currently its a toss up between a JVC THS3 5.1 home cinema system or a JVC UX-P500 as they both feature PAL progressive scan and come in around the same price of £120.

Anyone else doing a micro or mini format system with prog scan?

2. dommer2002

dommer2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Oddly enough, I have just bought one of these to go in my kitchen/diner with my new flat screen telly, for exactly the same reasons as you. My opinion so far:

Sound quality - I'm no audiophile, but it doesn't seem too bad to me, although it is quite treble-ey. The Bass is quite effective with DVD films.

Size/Appearance - It passed my wife's taste test so it can't look too bad, although it is very deep, so it sits out from the wall a lot if it is wall mounted. The speakers have detachable front grills according to your preference (mine stayed on)

compatibility - Odd one this. I made a bit of an error and didn't read that it only plays DVD-RAMs, which spoiled my plan of using is as a kind of music repository, (I've got all my CDs ripped to MP3 on DVD-Rs). However, it will play films that have been copied onto DVD-R. I have tried writing a DVD-RAM, but it didn't accept it - although it may if it is written in FAT32 format.

Other - I got my builder to wire speaker cables into the wall so I could avoid having cables everywhere, only to find that the speakers are bi-wired (with what looks like bell wire, so I can't really see the point of that). Also the speaker cable length is ridiculously short - about 2m at most, so some form of extension may be required.

Overall, pretty good value for the money, but the DVD-RAM format thing is a bit annoying.

If anyone knows how to put MP3s onto a DVD-RAM so they play on panasonic gear, I'm all ears... :)

3. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Denon DHT-M330DV is a quality micro system which does come with a full 5.1 speaker setup although it also offers 2.1 virtual surround. It supports prog PAL

The Denon D-M51DVS is a 2.1 system with virtual surround but not sure if it is prog