• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Micro AF adjustment

twist

Distinguished Member
Still got to get round to this, from scrutiny at 1:1 in LR my lenses seem to be fine at 0 but always worth checking.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I'll have to take some photos of Louise when she gets home, see if I'm happy with real world results. It's always been tough to get AF @ 1.2

Jammyb

I really don't miss all this with PDAF. The uncertainty (have I bought a lemon from ebay), the inconsistent calibration (I bet you decide down the line that -13 isn't right). With the CDAF on my OM-D I get fast accurate AF all the time. The face detection is pretty impressive as well, just point it in someones general direction and bang, eyes instantly in focus. The tracking is lousy in comparison, but consider it a decent tradeoff for what I shoot.

I seem to remember that at these really big apertures it's always a bit of guess anyway as the camera can't accurately tell. Better to manual focus, but no viewfinder magnification or focus peaking.

eduk

Distinguished Member
Still got to get round to this, from scrutiny at 1:1 in LR my lenses seem to be fine at 0 but always worth checking.

In your case, it isn't the equipment at fault. :D

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Ive got FoCal and get close but variable results with my gear each time i run it. For my 24-70 MKII it tells me to use -2/-2 most of the time. I use the Moire test and it tells me i dont need any adjustment, and ive used Dot tune and that tells me i need -6 (wide end), +5 (tele end).

I now use my eyes and that tells me if and when i need to make adjustments. Out of all the tests currently in favour i find Dot Tune to give the most un reliable results, due to the inconsistent results.
I will try putting magic Lantern on my 5DMKIII with Dot tune built in when its released, maybe that will give more reliable results.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom