1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mico recorder in Sainsbury's £230

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Racquel Darrian, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Are these any good?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Well given you can get a well specified Panasonic E50 for around the same price online I would say no.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Why?

4. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a freind who works for a large discount electrical retailer who has told me that the DMR-E50 will be everywhere from the end of next month for £199, as panasonic have dis-continued it in favour of the newer DMR-E60, and panasonic have got literally thousands of units un-sold.

Cheers,

THX THX THX

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    To some extent your friend is wrong THX. The E50 is being reduced to sub-£200 to counter the 'threat' poised by cheap units (such as the Mico under discussion). Not due to huge surplus stocks (production has recently moved from Japan to Germany). Panasonic are also keen to ensure Europe follows the Japanese and US models of DVD-RAM takeup before DVD-RW 'catches up' technologically.

Also the E50 is in no way a replacement for the E60 - in a sense they are aimed at completely different markets. The E50 is firmly aimed at the cheap end of the market given it's lack of LPCM and iLink whereas the E60 is aimed at the middle market. Next years range again have two machines not one: an E50 and E60 replacement due in March and June respectively.

By the new years sales the E50 will be sub-£200 and the E60 will be sub-£300. Hopefully the HS2 will be sub-£500 as well.

Sorry was this aimed at me? I would say don't buy the Mico as it there are better value alternatives online - from Panasonic and Philips. The fact it doesn't have RGB in should be enough for people to look elsewhere. A model aimed solely at the kind of people who don't know what RGB is, i.e. your basic consumer.

6. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected! (doh!)
    Just passing on what I was told.....................
    Thought that it may help?

THX THX THX

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Fair one - and your bang on that they are going to be sub-£200 soon putting it firmly in the price range of your average punter. It'll be interesting to see if DVD recording takes off here in the same way as it has in the US/elsewhere. The so-called format war is more visible here in Europe and I'll be interested to see if that puts people off.

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If it takes off and leads to DVD -r's comeing down to cd-r prices whohoo :) .
    At £200 or less everyone should get one. Can you imagine thousands off folk all backing up their VHS collection and dumping their old cassettes? EU tape mountain anyone? LOL

Panic

9. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not the right thread to start this discussion, but I think DVD-R prices are very comparable to that of CD-R.

Granted, the in-hand product is essentially the same, but when you consider 7 CD-Rs (say, 7 x 30p) make up the equivalent storage of 1 DVD-R (1 x £1 - £1.50) it's better than 'on par' with pricing, no?

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Couldn't agree more that DVD's are good value like for like but a disk is still a disk and if produceing enough costs should equal out i would think.
    Just because you get more storage capacity shouldn't automatically mean cost more. I appreciate companies are set more for CD's right now but hopefully things will change towards DVD production.

Panic

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Have you used a Mico player RASCZAK? I am interested as it is an interesting player that may well have a good market. I am not knocking the Pannys , I think they are the bee knees currently, but just interested in the mico and what it can do. How have you found it?

re RGB, although nice many of us don't actually use this method at all. In fact I have two DVD players that can output SVideo signals that have bettered EVERY SCART RGB signal that has ever been shown to me. and yes there have been a few. :) Quality isn't about specs but how you do things.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes - and consistently found them to be low quality. Given the prices they charge for their kit you can't expect much better but hardly suitable for a respectible home cinema. The same goes for all budget brands really.

The thing with RGB connections it is very easy to loose the quality advantage if just one of the items in your setup isn't up to scratch. This could be a scart lead, a device it's looping through or the TV itself. All things being equal RGB stands head and shoulders above RGB. If that doesn't appear clear in your setup you should tweak and tweak and tweak until it does IMHO.

You've got to be joking aren't you? This is a home cinema forum and your suggesting people don't have TVs with RGB in!?!?! It's almost a defacto standard - even a 5 year old Toshiba 25" I have in the kitchen has RGB in. Anyone without it would be better off going to the TV or Plasma forums rather than worry about DVDR just yet.

Whatever there are still better deals than the Mico for the same price. Even if someone is absolutely committed to buying a DVD+RW recorder then they would be far better off buying a Philips model. Even the low end Philips DVDR70 (which can be got for more or less the same price) has RGB in, a larger buffer and a better interface to name a few things. And that's not even taking into account the fact that the Mico uses the same core design as the problem laden 880/890.

As I said previously the Mico will suit the kind of person who really wants nothing more than a new VCR and hasn't got a scooby about home electronics.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks for the feed back on the Mico, that was what I was after.

Re RGB I have a 'large range' of quality THOR, IXOS and QED SCARTS of different flavours. They are all much of a muchness. The are not the problem.

I run 3 DVD players. None are RGB. Either use component or SDI
    Three video machines. Component or SVHS
    Two set top boxes, BNC composite
    Two HCPC. RGBHV on 15 pin HD or DVI

and then there are the tempory stuff or bits like X Box (again component)

A quick poll of my closest friends indicates only one uses RGB SCART and this is because he has run out of 'other' sockets.

The market is international nowdays and the convenient but always poorly performing SCART is not the best there is. Now how many display devices actually use raw RGB? Not many, most do 'processing' to the signal which if you are lucky means conversion to component signal or if you are the majority than transfer to SVideo style signals internally.

It is how you do the processing that matters. Anyone seen the lowly spec'd 8 bit DACs in the Tag DVD32R recently? :) or the output from 2 BNCs of SVideo signals?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    I'm really not going to get into a discussion about connections types - it's been done to death in these forums - but the bottom line is that IN THE DVDR MARKET in the UK RGB Scart in is by far the best form of input that's available. It's all very well to say that a large number of devices convert to S-Video but ultimately if you want ANY hope of getting the best possible picture you need RGB in. The Panasonic, Philips and Sony all offer true, full RGB in and out.

And focusing in on the topic in hand then the Mico (which is based on Philips Nexus reference design that they have stopped using themselves!) is certainly not better than the price equivalent (updated) designs of say the DVDR70.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Agreed about the discussion but it is a pity that more player don't use 'other ' connection types as the DVD player don't store the signals as RGB! ALL the RGB signals are converted to a type that DVD players use.

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does not really matter how the player stores the signals,the bottom line is that RGB is superior to S-video,and they must be either low quality or imported players to not use RGB at all

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Exactly.

18. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I have the Mico DVD recorder & can confirm that it has both S-video & RGB Scart switchable. I have seen an advert on TV saying it is now £199-99 at Sainsburys.It plays everything I have put in it so far. All DVD types bar RAM. It also plays SVCDs, VCDs & MP3s. Picture is very Good. So far I am very pleased with it.

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm intrigued here. This will make the perfect Xmas present.

At £199.99 it looks a bargain. Is there anything really to beat it?

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Well as I said previously - if you can push the budget up £30 there is quite a bit really :lesson:

If you do want DVD+RW go for a Philips model - you'll get more features and better support if it breaks.

21. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I've also been looking at the various sites regarding this recorder... since my previous post when I was advised the the panny e60 was the best model to go for (since I want to only tsfr my DV tapes to dvd and maybe a few VHS tapes), however since I've had the head gasket blow on my car so now can't spend that kind of money, this model has come along and sounds just the kind of product i need. Don't want to hijack this thread but would you reccomend the Philips DVDr70 that meets my needs and also my budget. Thanks in advance

22. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I have both the Panasonic E50 & the New Mico R311. I also have a Mico DVD player & many of my friends have the Newer Mico's. None of us have had any problems & if contacted, Mico are very helpful. Philips on the other hand are unreliable & are noted to have poor aftersales service. Leave Philips alone. The Mico is a solid recorder, nothing flimsy about it & it does not feel like a typical Chinese player. It is smooth & the remote is a very neat one indeed. Picture quality is excelent. I love my Panasonic E50 & my only wish is that it had -R/W as well, however I would not be parted from it. Take your pick, choose only the Panasonic E50 or the Mico R311 for a cheap but equally reliable DVD recorder. I understand Mico also make some items for Panasonic.

23. driverst24

driverst24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just picked one of these up from Sainbury's. Is it multi-region straight away or does anybody know the code to make it so.

Thanks in advance,

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    But considering many of the problems associated with the 880/890 series of boards didn't occur until 6 months in then this is not surprising.

Philips is not my favourite company by any means - infact the quality of their products is such that I wouldn't ever have a Philips component in my setup - by the fact is the Mico uses a Philips board. And Philips have at least shown a good level of support to their own users who have suffered a faulty machine - even going as far as to replace them when they are out of warranty. There is also the issue of firmware upgrades that are likely to be alot smoother with a true Philips machine - and this is a significant point if you wish to continue to be able to use all variants of + media available.

What's this got to do with the price of eggs?

25. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    quote:I understand Mico also make some items for Panasonic.

What's this got to do with the price of eggs?

Easy, Panasonic don't use any manufacturer to make products for them.

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Then why make a post saying they do? :confused:

27. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Rasczak...I have to say I agree with a lot of the posts I've read that you've been involved in, but this post is more about the Mico 311 DVD recorder. I tried to reply to your enquiry quickly but it can be missread. I should have said "I imagine Panasonic would not use just ANYBODY to make there products" in other words Mico make for Panasonic because they (Mico) do a good job. I would recommend the Panasonic E50 to anybody but the Mico 311 in Sainsburys at £199-00 represents very good value for a DVD recorder, & MICO are reliable & will offer help where as philips are not.

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    But that's the whole point of this thread. Better deals CAN be got online. Forget about Panasonic (for the purposes of this thread!) - better DVD+RW deals can be got online. The DVDR70 for example uses superior processing and offers RGB in all for a mere £25 more (which, amusingly, is the cost of an RGB-S-Video converter which is what you'll need if you want to record off Sky!). And whatever you can't get away from the fact that the Mico IS based on the 880 which has had severe problems.

Look I don't doubt Mico is a competent company but for their own brand products they are obviously going to use the cheapest components to ensure the rock bottom price. They are also using the Philips reference design which means if the unit breaks then you will be told to send it to Philips for repair - and whereas Philips have paid for their own customers to do this, you'll probably be on your own with Mico.

29. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

I don't know much about Mico (even though I'm an avid supporter of the + format!) but I think it is highly unlikely that Mico or any other manufacturer using the Philips reference design would tell you to send the recorder to Philips for repair. The Philips reference design gives details of how to build a recorder using Philips IC's, but does not mean they supply all the components. Mico will almost certainly be using their own boards with appropriate philips components but all the responsibilities for the recorder will lie with Mico and that is where the customer will get support.

I've got an old Matsui video(!!!) which is an Orion inside but Dixons would never suggest that I send it to Orion for repair.

30. 227 BHA

227 BHA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0