Michi X3 or Primare i35

erikinlondon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm buying a new HiFi system from scratch and I am trying to make it as future proof as possible with a modular setup. To me it seems like the Streaming component is where I would see changes which requires an upgrade (Airplay 2 to Airplay 3 for instance) so I have been looking for barebones integrated amplifiers. Ideally it's just a power and preamp integration.

My two favourites at the moment based on budget and aesthetics:

Primare i35
Michi X3

Speakers: Audiovector R3 Signature
Turntable: Pro-Ject X1

Streamer: Bluesound Node 2021
Phonostage: external or Michi X3

How's my thinking here?
Any other integrated barebones amp recommendations in the £3000-5000 range?
Thoughts on the Primare vs the Michi?

Did you audition the speakers? If so, what amplification was used?

I've not heard the R3 signatures, they are supposed to stonking, but there is no way I'd spend over £4K on speakers without a thorough audition including the amp intended to power said speakers.

Did you audition the speakers? If so, what amplification was used?

I've not heard the R3 signatures, they are supposed to stonking, but there is no way I'd spend over £4K on speakers without a thorough audition including the amp intended to power said speakers.

I tried the speakers with both amps and I'm happy with both.

I tried the speakers with both amps and I'm happy with both.
Fair enough.

My dealer would say that the Naim Supernait 3 and the R3 Signatures are a good combination. The R3s are fairly efficient and don't require large amounts of watts to drive.

I would suggest the Lyngdorf 3400, but as you want a separate streamer then I’d suggest these two.

All the power you’ll ever need, bi-amped.

And the irrepressible awesomeness that is Room perfect.

And Tom at Cinehome arranges home demos. The only way when spending that kind of cash.

Hi all,

I'm buying a new HiFi system from scratch and I am trying to make it as future proof as possible with a modular setup. To me it seems like the Streaming component is where I would see changes which requires an upgrade (Airplay 2 to Airplay 3 for instance) so I have been looking for barebones integrated amplifiers. Ideally it's just a power and preamp integration.

My two favourites at the moment based on budget and aesthetics:

Primare i35
Michi X3

Speakers: Audiovector R3 Signature
Turntable: Pro-Ject X1

Streamer: Bluesound Node 2021
Phonostage: external or Michi X3

How's my thinking here?
Any other integrated barebones amp recommendations in the £3000-5000 range?
Thoughts on the Primare vs the Michi?
I would rather buy the Hegel H390, Luxman l50ux.

Speakers: Dynaudio Evoke 50. Dynaudio is famous for their treble. Also punchy dynamic sound with a warm soundstage.

But there are so many alternatives on the market that you need to listen to the speakers etc you want. Important, use your own listing room. If you want class A amplifiers; like the more expensive Luxman amplifiers, Accupase , then I would buy Dynaudio Emit 30 speakers instead of the Audiovecter speakers. Save some cash on the speakers.

Bluesound own streamers are rock solid. User friendly also. Airplay 2 is supported. Can play more less every format known to man.

Hegel H390 is an integrated amplifier that supports AirPlay 2.

So my conclusions is this: Do you want an amplifier with build in streamer, or just a classic old school amplifier with no streaming? Build in phono stage?

Is design important? Then probably Marantz wins the price. PM 12-S1, Model 30. The Model 30 is a digital switch mode transistor amplifier that uses less less heat, more power to the speaker. The Model 30 has 100 watts in 8 ohm-200 watts in 4 ohm. All Marantz amplifiers have build in phono stage. Both MM, MC cartridges.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So my conclusions is this: Do you want an amplifier with build in streamer, or just a classic old school amplifier with no streaming? Build in phono stage?
As below:-

".......so I have been looking for barebones integrated amplifiers. Ideally it's just a power and preamp integration"

As you perfectly are aware of this is a forum. I’m just mentioning other alternatives.

I went with the Primare
Looked online. Beautiful well planed build quality. Dac Chip on the right side, transformer on the left side. 4 large caps which acts like batteries giving the speakers more power.

In fact it is the most impressive build design I have seen in amplifier in that price class.

How does it sound?

Oh, I see there are several versions of the amplifier. Which version did you buy?

Yes, feedback is appreciated.

Oh, I see there are several versions of the amplifier. Which version did you buy?
Hi,

I bought the i35 and I am taking it down to my local HiFi store to listen to it today and verify that it works. My own speakers are sadly 3-4 weeks away from arriving.

Nice. How are the speakers? They are on my short list for when life settles down, so any feedback is welcome.

I liked how the R3 Signature sounded. Sadly, I did not manage to find anyone that had both the Signature and Arrete in stock so I could not compare the two side by side. Actually, maybe that's a good thing for my wallet haha.

Either way as Audiovector let's you upgrade the internals of a speaker until you reach Arrete it feels future proof and if I want those better tweeters they are available to me without losing any money.

If you are London based you are welcome to come and have a listen Phil.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom