Michell Orbe / Gyrodec - good arm/cart to go with?

Kieron

Distinguished Member
As above - any recommendations? Have come across a couple of good deals on the turntables - but obviously no arm/cart combination.

Many thanks :)

Londondecca

I once had a home demo of a Gryodec with a SME V arm and (I think) a Koetsu Red cartridge. Very nice sound and looked stunning

Ambo

Depends on your budget. The Michell Technoarm is about £500 and can support expensive MC carts (I have a Zyx R100H and it's a nice combo). At the high end of the spectrum you have the SME IV or V - the V being viewed by many as the holy grail (about £2100+). I'd expect most dealers would do you some discount. I have the Technoarm and it's very good but I still have the bug to upgrade to the SME at some point! :smashin:

Kieron

Distinguished Member
I'm hearing great things about the Terminator T2/T3 arm (well it's not an arm exactly)

Anybody any experience of them? Reviews across the internet are most favourable etc.

Andy80

I have an old bronze edition Gyrodec with a gold SME V arm and the black arm mount from the Orb. Saw the gold SME V on the Orb at a show when it was first released. Knew I'd have to get one and eventually I did. Looks and sounds stunning. Carrtidge is a Ortofon Kontrapunkt B.

stevewestern

I have an SME1V on my Orbe - I preferred it to the V when auditioned, but cannot remember the details.. Cartridge is a Te Kiatora Rua into a Tom Evans Groove. Lovely, and worth every penny, especially as it was all very lightly used second hand !
On my old Gyrodec I had an Origin Live arm, which was also pretty good way back then, but the Orbe/SME is so much better (as it ought to be !!)

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
I'm hearing great things about the Terminator T2/T3 arm (well it's not an arm exactly)

Anybody any experience of them? Reviews across the internet are most favourable etc.

It is sonically excellent but like most parallel trackers it looks a bit of a botch job. It also requires you to site an air pump and other machinery somewhere adjacent to it. If your Gyro is a plinth unit with a lid, you won't be able to close it.

Given the Gyro will work with just about any 9" arm you want, your choices are endless. The SME options are lovely if a bit pricey. I don't like Rega arms or the Tecnoarm so went for a Roksan Tabriz which sounds excellent and it beautifully built. I use a Dynavector DV20X (low output version) with good results.

Ed

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom