1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIB DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Matt F, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone else out there with Men in Black on DTS? If so, is the sound perfect?

Just got my copy and I keep getting lots of slight drop outs (i.e. split second moments when the sound disappears altogether) which is very annoying.

Somthing's definitely wrong but is it just my disc or does yours do it too? Thanks.

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of equipment are you running?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sounds familiar Marti!!

good call with the equipment enquiry

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    No problems with my copy at all
    In fact I think I must be one of the lucky ones as I have about 15 DTS titles and have never had a problem with any of them

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No problems with my DTS copy either.

Nakamich DVD 10s thru Sony STRDB-930

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

6. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, IF you had revealed at this stage that your Denon dropped DTS sound I would have: 1) been mortified. 2) Visited a certain retail outlet in Shrewsbury with a very strong water pistol and tried to guess which member of staff you are!

7. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, I can't remember what you discovered about this when you had the problem. I don't think I have a positive answer to this but it does sound like a problem that other people have mentioned in the past. Somehow the DTS bitstream is failing to be buffered or something.

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My gear? Pretty reasonable set up (in my opinion) - Rotel DVD player (region free out of the box) going through a Rotel RSP966 (DD/DTS processor) feeding into (you've guessed it) a Rotel RB985MKII THX 5 channel power amp (which, if you're interested, then drives M&K LCR 750 THX Selects with KEF TDM34DS and a soon to be upgraded REL Q50).

The DVD player doesn't offer inbuilt DD or DTS decoding so an optical cable (it doesn't have a co-ax output) feeds into the 966.

I have several other DTS discs but none of these have ever played up so maybe I just have a dud copy of MIB. The best bet may be for me to take it in to my local HC dealer and try it out on their gear.

[This message has been edited by Matt F (edited 18-09-2000).]

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture quality is not as good as the DD version, which is very strange. It is only a slight difference but it is noticeable.

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well hello Mr Stokes! Didn't like the new Home Entertainment forum? Me neither.You stuck with the forum on their old site for quite a while, much longer than me! I am a bit disappointed with their new site. What happened to all the great innovations that they euligised about as the reason for the delay in the new site.
    Anyway, its great to see you on this forum as you really do know your stuff and your advise will be of great benefit to the other users here. Keep it up bud!

------------------
    Leave them to me...I will deal with them myself

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No problems here with MIB in DTS either ... must be the disc then.

12. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt F, your idea is a good one. Take the disk elsewhere to try it. This will prove it one way or another. Although your equipment is top notch stuff it is not a popular choice (this choice of equipment tends to be purchased by people who actually audition equipment instead of people like me who may audition just a few 5 star components).

Let us know how you get on. If the disk is okay then it is a process of elimination with the other bits of equipment (start with the optical cable!).

13. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks calibos, I'm starting to get embarrased now by the kind words from most ex-HE forum people (I still check their site).

14. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news (Don't shoot the messenger) but I had the exact same problem with my 18 month old panasonic A-110. Played DTS no probs for 18 months, but then just suddenly started 'dropping' sound. Went through all the elimination stuff that you've done. Unfortunately it was the player. As it was chipped for multi-region couldn't get anyone local to have a look at it. Ended up buying a new player.
    But maybe as yours isn't chipped you'll have more luck?
    ---------------------------------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

15. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The tale continues.... took the MIB DVD into Audio Excellence in Bristol and checked it out on one of their DVD players and it worked fine so it's not the disc. They lent me an optical cable (in case mine is knackered) and I swopped them over but the problem remains.

The next step is to take my DVD player into Audio Ex and see if it does it using one of their amps/processors - if it does then it's obviously the DVD player, if not then the culprit must be my processor.

They said that it might be a "firm-ware" problem (whatever that means) but it's strange that none of my other DTS R1 discs have caused any sound or vision problems.

I'll let you know what happens.

16. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For those of you who remember my problems with MIB on DTS (and want to know what the outcome was):

The culprit turned out to be the Rotel RSP 966 processor (the last thing I thought it would be) and it is currently with Rotel who are adding some extra earthing points to the various circuit boards found within - this should, apparently, cure the dropouts.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

17. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I'm a bit late with this, but I've just returned my copy of MIB DTS to www.express.com in USA. As well as suffering occasional drop-outs, there was a definite synchronisation problem with the DTS soundtrack. PCM sound was perfect and I also compared it with a friend's DD copy, also perfect. I have several DTS DVD's and this has never happened before on my Panny A110 or my new Tosh/Techtronics 100E. Anybody else with this synchro problem?

PS When can we have "Back to the Future" on DVD please?