Miami Vice grain in night scenes - yuk!

Rob100

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Received my US Miami Vice HD-DVD combo today.

Haven't watched the film yet, but have had a flick through.

First impressions are whilsts the daylight scenes are superb PQ, most the night scenes have TERRIBLE grain. Really bad :eek:

The SD side is the same (also checked on different player)

Hmm, will probably watch tomorrow night, but dissapointed with what I've just seen :(

Rob.

This was evident even in the cinema ... The night scenes looked too gritty for my taste.

Thanks for that. I haven't seen the film before so wasn't expecting it.

That's the way the movie was shot. Michael mann used some sort of fancy filter for the night scenes - i'm clearly not an expert:rolleyes:

That's the way the movie was shot. Michael mann used some sort of fancy filter for the night scenes - i'm clearly not an expert:rolleyes:

Can't see what this adds to the movie, just makes me cringe. I'll see what I think once I've watch the whole film.

He was using the same low-light HD camera technology he started with in Collateral that allows him to shoot at night with minimal/no artificial lighting. Arguably the film would be quite different if he had to light scenes and shots conventionally - not only in extra time and restrictions it would have caused but also in the perceived realism of the situations i.e no fancy, overly-dramatic lighting.

Oh and in order to acheive this function some advanced signal gain/boosting is required which although quite low compared to the gains brings out the digital noise in the picture. I'm not sure if they then had to add some less uniform noise in post production.

The grain added to the atmosphere in Collateral - which it does not in Miami Vice.

End of the day its all done, and there's not much point discussing whether it was good or bad as its in the hands of the director.

Just finished watching the film and didn't find it annoying if I'm honest. Surprised I'm saying that :eek:

What grain? Watched the Dir Edition the other night,(was okay, I suppose, gonna need another watch, to make up my mind), and don't know what the hell people are talking about. Maybe I was too busy watching the actual film to notice. I was more bothered by the stupid blue over black title credits, that are near impossible to read.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom