1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mi2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by pat clancy, Dec 17, 2000.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i wasn,t too impressed with the 5.1 on this dvd,good film though,any body else feel the same,the sub rumbled but very little rear sound when there should have been

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have not watched MI2 yet, I did put it in my dvd player just to check it played ok, which it did. But I did notice that the sound was very low so I had put the volume level up more than normal. When I get to watch the film I will let you know.

Graham.

[This message has been edited by gwbailey (edited 17-12-2000).]

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never mind the sound. This film is the biggest pile of doggy doos I've ever seen!

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

4. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Arthur on this one, I waited 2 weeks for the R1 version to arrive,what an anti climax!

John Woo should stick to what he's good at, ie action. If you watch the featurette on this disc they go on how he (Woo) has mastered the love aspect of this movie and combined it with the action....poppycock.

The movie dragged between action scenes, too much mushy stuff.

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm with Colonial Marine and ArthurS on this one, and I haven't even seen the film yet!! It has been in a local rental shop (that stocks R1s) for about 6 weeks now, but I have been afraid, yes afraid, to rent it as it has received some of the worst reviews I have ever read. I even know some people who thought it was awful, and they liked Armageddon and ID4 !!! I am just afraid to rent it and then find myself stopping it ½way through.

6. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it was great, better than the first.

Just my opinion though.

p.s - The action scenes are great (almost as good as Face/Offs scenes, though Face Off is a better film).

7. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked the bike stunts. [​IMG] And the girly in it was gorgeous, whoever she was.

I downloaded the Tomb Raider movie trailer last night and really liked that (Angelina Jolie ... mmmm, she lights up my screen too!), even more so when she flew through the air on a bike.

Mind you, I'm a m/bike fan. I gasped in delight when the very same Ms Jolie rode up on an MV Agusta in Gone In 60 Seconds. hehehe.

Stuart

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Another cracking film I watched.

A rollercoaster of a ride,the whole 2hrs and a million miles better than the first M:I.Fantastic stunts and action,with Tom Cruise mountain climbing for real,check out the extras.

Great picture quality,very clear and very sharp and fantastic sound,yet again.

DVD is magic,it just gets better.

I don't know whether it's my new Sony Player and Yammy Amp,or the DVD's themselves improving,but I've never heard and seen anything so... breathtaking.

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    just got round to watching MI.2 - Jeez , its one of those films where the camera just fell in lurve with old cruisie!
    What the hell's happened to woo?
    Try checking out some of his earlier films then ask yourself - what the hell went wrong?

10. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, as above,

Yes theres action, yes its spectular, yes theres exceedingly cool stunts on bikes & climbing mountains. But this movie really dragged between the action scenes.

The John Woo movie I expected never materialised, I kept promising myself that the pace would pick up, it never did.

Did I expect too much, after Face Off, Broken Arrow & co?

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

11. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Col Marine -

Beware - this is what happens when hollywoods beady eyes catch sight of talent - they respond by throwing lots of money at it - the unlucky recipient finds that with a massive hollywood cash injection , they can use all that dosh to fill in the gaps that he would have previously filled with imagination and good ideas - if you don't believe me , check out Blair Witch 2!

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Actually myself and some other hardworking guys did help him out a bit with this.

And the extra have been shall... we say touched up a bit!

13. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gargoyle, you have hit the nail on the head,

Hollywood hype (big advertising budgets) invariably lead to disapointments when you get to see the film.

My wife & I loved Blair Witch, & eagerly waited for the sequal. But now the crits have come out I'll not bother & will wait for it to get to blockbuster.

------------------

14. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes there was CGI,but still he did actually risk his life climbing.The extras showing him filming the rock climbing jump looked real.I assume this wasn't CGI.

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    There is no "CGI" in any of the rock-climbing. Tom was there on the rock and he was that high up.The images are seen as were shot.

However there was some very(VERY) tough VFX work involved to heighten the sense of danger shall we say. (and I don't mean repoing the shot composition to make him appear high up : again he was actually that high up and above a sheer drop)

Amusingly enough some of the extras material seems to have been similarly modified so as not to give the game away but not by the guys that did the scene in the film.

16. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    From what I seen of the 'Making of..' when the film was due for release here, Cruise (an avid rock climber) was actually THAT high up, but he had cables supporting him that were digitally removed. Cables or not, it still took b*lls to do what he did.

17. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm confused. I watched a 'documentary' on Sky One over Xmas about the photographers who invade the lives of famous folks to 'get the picture'.

There was some footage that certainly *looked* like it was from the making of MI:2's rock climbing scene, which was just an overhanging rock a few metres up from the ground, with some scaffolding below it.

Was that faked up?

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

18. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever thought of using your brain to form your OWN opinion? It may well turn out to be pants, but at least judge for yourself instead of following all the other lemmings.

As for MI2, I thought it was absolutely superb - far better than the first one. Someone mentioned they kept waiting for the 'pace to pick up'. Are you serious? How much action do you want in a film???

Jay

19. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Stuart, Now you have me confused. I saw the cables with my own eyes (but then again they don't work the way they used to).

And Jay2000, I agree with the post about the Blair Witch 2. We all listen to opinion or critics with films, music, TV shows, books etc etc, so if 99% of the people say that BW2 is rubbish (which they did) then you have to assume that there is a fair chance that it is going to be bad. I agree that we all like different things, and you were advising the couple to check it out for themselves, but in some situations the world unites, and slate a film with due cause. I know that I will NEVER waste £3 to watch it - I'm just sorry I wasted £3 to see BW1.

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to be controversial or anything but I think the first film was ace and the second is a pile of cack.

Having only this small collection of Hollywood blockbuster productions to go on ie. Broken Arrow, Face/Off and MI:2 - I think Mr Woo is THE most over-rated over-hyped director on the planet. Fight and Stunt sequences are one thing but if the interconnecting plot is as flat as pancake then what's the point. None of his films have any atmosphere whatsoever and are bland and formulaic to the extreme (bloody doves!!!).

I'm more than willing to have my opinion changed if someone would like to recommend another Woo masterpiece I should watch.

23. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Mr.D, You seem to be a bit secretive about the stunts. Please explain to us how they were done EXACTLY (I can't believe that I actually care!!).

And I totally agree with FatBhoySlim regarding John Woo as a director. Now admittedly I have not seen any of the films that he did in HK that made him such a name, but everything that I have seen since the came to Hollywood has been cack, and that includes Face-Off which so many people rant about. Should I watch some of his HK films??

24. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cruise did do the climbing with no supports or hidden wires or scaffolding.

He rock climbs for pleasure in his spare time.

25. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Come on Wayne - he didn't. Yes I know that he is an avid rock-climber as I mentioned above somewhere, but no matter how good he is, he DID NOT do the scenes in the film without help/supports/SFX/cables. There is an answer out here to this!!

26. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Jay, you seem to think that just because I think before I throw good money away on a sh*te movie that I am a lemming???

I dont think for one minute that I am being over cautious in wanting to spend £3 to check the movie out at blockbusters vs £14 for 2 tickets to the cinema????? Common sense dictates it.

Judging by your "devil may care cavalier" attitude I bet you've got more lemons in your DVD colloection than I have in mine?

As for MI2...
    well horses for courses. But when there arent any explosions going off, or pretty girls in their skimpys. I still expect the movie to hold my attention. John Woo did not manage this.

Yours lemmingly.
    Colonial Marine

------------------

27. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Define a 'lemon'...

ANY movie is only as good as the entertainment it affords the indivdual viewer.

One man's 'Citizen Kane' will be another man's 'Waterworld'. The point I was trying to make was that if you were initially interested in seeing Blair Witch 2, to decide to forego the cinema release based on another's viewpoint is IMO rather odd.

Reviews warned me that SW1:TPM was pants, it certainly didnt put me off going to the cinema to see it.

As for my supposed 'devil may care cavalier' attitude... ITS A MOVIE! Its not as if it's some life altering career move with no way back. If I go to the flicks and I hated the film, so what? At least it gave me and my girlfriend a night out.

Still, like you quite rightly say - horses for courses! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Jay2000 (edited 31-12-2000).]

28. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Jeez , its one of those films where the camera just fell in lurve with old cruisie!"

Could this possibly be because a certain Mr Cruise was one of the film's producers?
    Personaly, I think he's completely lost it with this film. Aping the kind of stunts seen in the Matrix is just plain daft. In the Matrix you can break the rules!
    IMHO, the first film was better, at least it had a plot to it. Only the stooopid ending with the copter spoilt it a little.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

29. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may seem a bit stupid but what does - IMHO mean?

Thank You

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In My Humble Opinion.

------------------
    Tschaikowsky:

Was he the tortured soul who poured out his immortal longings into dignified passages of stately music?

Or was he an old poof who wrote tunes?