• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

I hope this isn't true

http://www.xboxic.com/news/1437

MGS chief states Xbox 360 games may require HD-DVD
Posted in Xbox 360, Games, Hardware by Curry on August 16th, 2006 at 11:56
So yes, we still remember Microsoft executives saying “Xbox 360 gamers will never require a hard drive to play games”, only to be shocked by the Football Manager packshot stating that the game did require the HD after all. Similarly, the Xbox guys were even more adamant about that the games would never require a larger disc than the current dual layer DVD, and that HD-DVD would only ever be used for displaying HD movies through your 360. Will that turn out to be “slightly off the truth” as well?

Click the image to the right for one page of what Warren News published in their Consumer Electronics Daily newsletter today. Some spicy quotes about HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, sure that’s a hot topic. The nasty one is at the bottom though:

Microsoft hasn’t determined yet whether to do Xbox 360 games in blue-laser HD DVD, but has ruled it out for “this holiday” when it ships its HD DVD drive for movie playback through the Xbox 360, said Dave Luehmann, gen. mgr. - Microsoft Games Studios. “Speed of loading” is Microsoft’s big concern about HD DVD games on the Xbox 360, Luehmann said.

OUCH. Let’s all hope this is a wildly inaccurate misquotation and that the HD-DVD promises don’t go down the same drain as those stating the Core Pack will play all 360 games. Something tells me we’ll be seeing some damage control press releases soon

If this information turns out to be true then i hate to say it but i may have to go with a PS3,as perhaps the grass was always greener on the other side.

This is really taking the **** microsoft :mad: They really need to face the fact that they released the console FAR too early

lee_c00per said:
This is really taking the **** microsoft :mad: They really need to face the fact that they released the console FAR too early
Nothing like jumping to early conclusions, eh? Sounds like 100% speculation to me, and really bad business sense if it were true. That's very un-MS.

They've gone on record numerous times saying it would never happen, so this is a non-topic, there's nothing to discuss.

XBox marketing have denied this already - it's complete rubbish. See here and here.

Ummm just like the HDD is totally optional and will never be needed for games. Or my favourite was that the 360 would be fully wifi, with built-in wireless networking. But oh yeah, nows its not built-in and its a £60 add-on.

They stated that over and over pre-release. But yeah nothing to discuss here.... :rolleyes:

iZed said:
Ummm just like the HDD is totally optional and will never be needed for games. Or my favourite was that the 360 would be fully wifi, with built-in wireless networking. But oh yeah, nows its not built-in and its a £60 add-on.

They stated that over and over pre-release. But yeah nothing to discuss here.... :rolleyes:

1 game and no others mentioned or planned isn't it.

I am glad it didnt come with wifi I dont want to be paying for something that I dont want to use, hard wired for low pings thank you very much.

Im glad they saved me 60 quid :smashin: :smashin:

HD-DVD 360 games could offer better textures for the graphichs and more content, plus more games would be region free.

TVR_Fan said:
HD-DVD 360 games could offer better textures for the graphichs and more content, plus more games would be region free.

Hardly, theres only so muchm memory the consol has for textures & graphics, and this is more than capable of being filled by DVD, unless they offer zillions of levels etc but that means a lot more artists = more expense , and games are expensive enough.

Look at PC's they dont have the memory limitations consoles have, yet they dont have 10gb+ games either, its just not comercialy viable to make that kind of amount of real game data, the only way you can concievably fill all that space is with full motion HD video and that is going to make a pretty dull game unless they do it well, I dont buy games for hours of cutscenes.

But think about it, HD-DVD's store a better image then DVD, because of the size of HD-DVD's. So if MS want to make the 360 a true video game HD console, then they will need to start using HD-DVD's for there games.

TVR_Fan said:
But think about it, HD-DVD's store a better image then DVD, because of the size of HD-DVD's. So if MS want to make the 360 a true video game HD console, then they will need to start using HD-DVD's for there games.
:nono:

TVR_Fan said:

Nothing in your posts makes any sense what so ever. what image are you on about?

MS said in there response about these rubbish comments and I quote.

At this point, we haven't seen anything to suggest that next-gen DVD formats offer a better game experience than current DVD. What we do know is that these formats will bring added cost to game developers, disk manufacturing, and could even result in added costs and longer load times for the consumer, which would negatively impact the game experience. We are focused on making great HD games available to consumers now, and games like "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" clearly show that beautiful high def graphics and huge, immersive worlds to explore are possible on the DVD9 format

And lets face it theres only one company pushing a format aimed at winning a hd video war that seems to think normal dvds are not big enough, funny that, and they wont even give developers the choice to publish on DVD, so if its 4 gig it still goes on blu ray, remind me on again who gets the royalties for using BR media again, as well as the normal royalties.

Any how Nintendo, MS, and every PC games maker seems to think dvd is big enough for current generation, I can't believe people buy in to the Sony spin

TVR_Fan said:

Region free? Totally different region protection for games and movies. No evidence at all to say games will be region free because the films are.

And developers will just get stupidly lazy with a HD disc to play with - Metal Gear would take 14 months to complete because of hours and hours of HD cutscenes :boring:

The fact that it was said very recently,(posted yesterday) and being said by the Cheif of Microsoft Games Studios that they haven't decided to use HD-DVD or not this year for games is what has got up my nose.

It's the fact that they are testing it and probably intend to use it, just to compete with SONY is getting stupid

lee_c00per said:
The fact that it was said very recently,(posted yesterday) and being said by the Cheif of Microsoft Games Studios that they haven't decided to use HD-DVD or not this year for games is what has got up my nose.

It's the fact that they are testing it and probably intend to use it, just to compete with SONY is getting stupid

No one has said its been tested????? and where does the "this year" comment come from? some speculation by some one, MS have said and I quote.

I'm seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no.
Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, we've been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD

I wonder how many times MS need to say it.

For the people who cant read a small font.

MS are not going to use HD DVD player for games, so says MS :)

TVR_Fan said:
I've thought about and it still makes no sense. HD-DVD's and DVD's are just storage mediums. All that's stored on them is a load of 1's and 0's, the quality of the 1's and 0's is the same on both formats, HDDVD can just store a lot more of them.

dino2021 said:
For the people who cant read a small font.

MS are not going to use HD DVD player for games, so says MS :)
Oooh, it's in a big font. Must be true. :rotfl: ;)

I wonder if this drive will be usable with Windows Vista as all other XBox360 asesories will be able to? :rolleyes:

lee_c00per said:
I wonder if this drive will be usable with Windows Vista as all other XBox360 asesories will be able to? :rolleyes:

Not sure, Maybe they would add support later, but would doubt they would make it compatible with current windows as PC owners would be queueing up for a cheap HD DVD drive. HTPC crowd would love it.

Can you use the wifi accessory on the PC or the memory cards? thought it was just the controllers?

I think they said controllers, Steering wheel and wireless headset via the little adapter being released

Iff it does require it then so what?

Shall we release inferior games until the next XBOX because of the sake of about £200.

I ain't bothered

filmfreak71 said:
Here's the confirmation from MS that the drive will only be used for Movies;

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/08/16/536859.aspx

That doesn't matter though, as has been said in this thread already, MS had said no game would need the HDD, but one game does need it.
So although MS said no game will be on HD-DVD, don't take that as definate.

However, if MS were to release games on HD-DVD. it would be a big mistake, as it would alienate a large number of gamers.

Games needing the HDD aren't that bad, because for one, its only one game atm, but also, I think the majority of Xbox 360 consoles sold have been the premium (or at least most of the gamers here would have got a premium).

Also, most xbox 360 owners will probably pick up a HDD for it during its lifetime, and so games needing the HDD won't allienate so many users.

However, I'm willing to say that the HD-DVD drive will only sell to a minority of Xbox 360 owners (I'm talking about everyone who will have a 360 by the end of its lifetime now, as I think the majority of launchday buyers will probably get a HD-DVD drive. This would mean if a game was to be on HD-DVD, it would allienate more people than a game needing the HDD.

What publisher is going to release their game on HDDVD? It wouldn't make any sense as the sales potential would be so low. A game that would need an HDDVD would only do so because of all the extra resources on the disc. These have to come from somewhere, so have to be developed. This extra resource development costs more money, so would need more revenue from sales.

Unless there's a massive take up of the HDDVD unit it makes no commercial sense at all to release a game on the format.

However...

What about if the HDDVD drive is very quiet and games are released on both formats and are identical. Would the noise complainers spend an extra few quid on the HDDVD version if it meant quieter operation?

What about if games do happen to get so big that they span more than 1 DVD. Would anybody mind if there were two options, single HDDVD or multiple DVD versions? Would it be any different to when you could buy a floppy disc or a CD version. Didn't PC games also have CD or DVD options for a while?

I can see the above two scenarios as possibilities but as I said, an exclusive HDDVD release would be madness on the part of the publisher.

What about a release with an HDDVD and a DVD in the same box. If the HDDVD is present then hi def versions of cut scenes are streamed from the HDDVD disc instead of more compressed versions on the DVD.

Just a few random thoughts.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom