MG4 2 Day Roadtrip to Paris and Back 970 Miles with just 4 short charge stops.

PRESSTOG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Had a Work event in Paris for a couple of hours in the Evening, so 970 Mile overnight Road Trip in order,

This is how the Budget EV Handled it

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.03.42.png

215 Miles from home to first Charge stop at Ionity Channel Gateway Folkstone.. The MG4 goes from 10-80% in 22mins so its a really easy car to charge quickly and its tolerant to low temps unlike a lot of other cars that dont like to charge fast when cold.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.06.35.png

From there to Ionity Saint Witz just outside Paris 190 Miles
Quick boil of the Kettle using V2L for coffees while charging (25min Stop)
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.10.42.png

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.11.02.png

From there event in Paris, Stay overnight and out via Rouen and a fair bit of cross country.

Next Charge at Ionity Rouen, Charge and a Brew again (20mins stop)
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.13.20.png

From there up to Calais and Tunnel Last Stop at Ionity Maidstone (30Mins) and the 180 Miles Home.

------

The MG4 is actually a really really good road trip car (On the Proviso its a couple and not a family) even with 2 of us boot and back seats quickly filled with stuff,

The MG4 Excels at Rapid Charging On Trips (Subject to Network Speed), Even cold at 5c with no battery heating it hits 140Kw every time from 0 to 55% then around 90kw to 75% so it actually beats MGs estimated 10-80% target by a fair amount (22 to 25mins 10-80% is what we get) and 10 to 90% is under 30mins. (Knocks spots off the EV6 with its 230Kw charging which is hampered by temperamental charging at anything below 20c), and as for the Kona with its 43kw maybe 70 for 5mins if you are lucky its another world.

Shame it does not have the economy of the Kona though, I know that would have averaged 4.2 Miles / Kwh on this trip but the MG4 only managed 3.6 Bt with the faster charging it really is no contest

As a Good Roadtripper it has great rapid charging, good road holding, reasonably quiet cabin

Bad for Roadtripping Its Auto Cruise is not s good as the Kia or Hyundai, its always jerky slowing behind other vehicles and I would never trust its autosteer, something you could on the Kia and Hyundai

But yes its been an easy trip and probably faster than any of our other cars (Including our Model 3 SR) due to the excellent charging

COSTS BREAKDOWN
Started Fully Charged
Charge 1 - Ionity Chanel Gateway. 57.7 Kw Added £14.44
Charge 2 - Ionity St Witz Paris. 51.65 Kw Added £13.20
Charge 3 - Ionity Rouen. 37.8 Kw Added £9.66
Charge 4 - Ionity Maidstone 60.02 Kw Added £15.00

Total For Charging £52.30 for 207.17 Kw
Total For Home Charge Before Leaving 5.5p Kw x 62 = £3.41

Total Fuel Costs for Trip door to door £55.71

Average Economy Over Trip 3.6 Miles / Kwh

Total Distance Covered 972 Miles

TOTAL COST PER MILE : 5.73p Per mile.

Toll Costs £21 Calais to Paris avoided tolls on return and both dartford crossings were out of toll hours

4 V2L Coffees and 4 V2L Teas Consumed while charging FREE

Tunnel was £25 each way.. £50 Total

Overall very happy with that Charging Time just over 2 hours but that was time used eating or rest breaks that would have taken EV or not..

Hope thats useful.. Big Thumbs up MG4 Budget Road Tripper.

Had a Work event in Paris for a couple of hours in the Evening, so 970 Mile overnight Road Trip in order,

This is how the Budget EV Handled it

View attachment 1856981

215 Miles from home to first Charge stop at Ionity Channel Gateway Folkstone.. The MG4 goes from 10-80% in 22mins so its a really easy car to charge quickly and its tolerant to low temps unlike a lot of other cars that dont like to charge fast when cold.

View attachment 1856983

From there to Ionity Saint Witz just outside Paris 190 Miles
Quick boil of the Kettle using V2L for coffees while charging (25min Stop)
View attachment 1856984
View attachment 1856985

From there event in Paris, Stay overnight and out via Rouen and a fair bit of cross country.

Next Charge at Ionity Rouen, Charge and a Brew again (20mins stop)
View attachment 1856986

From there up to Calais and Tunnel Last Stop at Ionity Maidstone (30Mins) and the 180 Miles Home.

------

The MG4 is actually a really really good road trip car (On the Proviso its a couple and not a family) even with 2 of us boot and back seats quickly filled with stuff,

The MG4 Excels at Rapid Charging On Trips (Subject to Network Speed), Even cold at 5c with no battery heating it hits 140Kw every time from 0 to 55% then around 90kw to 75% so it actually beats MGs estimated 10-80% target by a fair amount (22 to 25mins 10-80% is what we get) and 10 to 90% is under 30mins. (Knocks spots off the EV6 with its 230Kw charging which is hampered by temperamental charging at anything below 20c), and as for the Kona with its 43kw maybe 70 for 5mins if you are lucky its another world.

Shame it does not have the economy of the Kona though, I know that would have averaged 4.2 Miles / Kwh on this trip but the MG4 only managed 3.6 Bt with the faster charging it really is no contest

As a Good Roadtripper it has great rapid charging, good road holding, reasonably quiet cabin

Bad for Roadtripping Its Auto Cruise is not s good as the Kia or Hyundai, its always jerky slowing behind other vehicles and I would never trust its autosteer, something you could on the Kia and Hyundai

But yes its been an easy trip and probably faster than any of our other cars (Including our Model 3 SR) due to the excellent charging

COSTS BREAKDOWN
Started Fully Charged
Charge 1 - Ionity Chanel Gateway. 57.7 Kw Added £14.44
Charge 2 - Ionity St Witz Paris. 51.65 Kw Added £13.20
Charge 3 - Ionity Rouen. 37.8 Kw Added £9.66
Charge 4 - Ionity Maidstone 60.02 Kw Added £15.00

Total For Charging £52.30 for 207.17 Kw
Total For Home Charge Before Leaving 5.5p Kw x 62 = £3.41

Total Fuel Costs for Trip door to door £55.71

Average Economy Over Trip 3.6 Miles / Kwh

Total Distance Covered 972 Miles

TOTAL COST PER MILE : 5.73p Per mile.

Toll Costs £21 Calais to Paris avoided tolls on return and both dartford crossings were out of toll hours

4 V2L Coffees and 4 V2L Teas Consumed while charging FREE

Tunnel was £25 each way.. £50 Total

Overall very happy with that Charging Time just over 2 hours but that was time used eating or rest breaks that would have taken EV or not..

Hope thats useful.. Big Thumbs up MG4 Budget Road Tripper.
I hope you return it full lol. Sounds a very good trip and nice to see it went smoothly. 3.7kwh sound s perry good to me and very impressive charge times. Surprised by the luggage would have assumed you would have plenty for room for 4?

I hope you return it full lol. Sounds a very good trip and nice to see it went smoothly. 3.7kwh sound s perry good to me and very impressive charge times. Surprised by the luggage would have assumed you would have plenty for room for 4?

It was a good trip, The load space is a bit poor, it has more rear leg room than the Kona but the boot space is really only 2 had wheelies, so by the time you add in some shopping etc back seat si full etc. 4 up is fine for day trips anything where you need luggage I really dont think it suits more than 2 people. Which is fine for us as we are both under 5ft3!..

Its a surprisingly well made car for the price, with great handling and confident drive,

Only downsides are on the software side (No surprise being Chinese, Its one area they really do seem to cut corners)

Have been spoilt with the Hyundai Kona which did 4.2+ on similar trips but had a laclustre 50kw charging speed, so even with worse economy the MG4 is quicker (Kona was 45mins to 1 hour charge stops) this is 20 to 30mins

Good write up and a good trip.

I've just done a 650 mile round trip this weekend too in the Model 3 Long Range

232miles on the outward journey with 100% starting battery and got there with 20% battery remaining (all motorway/dual, I live 2 miles from A38 in Cornwall and FiL lives 5miles off M6 in Staffs).

Lots of running around there and then 232 miles back home last night.

Total charging including overnight last night is £47.

Averaged 4 miles per kwh (was 4.5 on the way up as it was warm and sunny but it was down to 7c last night on way home and I wasn't really hanging around) overall meaning 7.2p per mile.

You are doing great with Ionity and the 25p per kwh with the £11 monthly cost. Superchargers are 40p per kwh but I think we are probably due another price cut soon.

Just goes to show that EVs are still much cheaper than an ICE......this journey would have cost me around 15/16p per mile in my 50mpg Diesel Octavia or £95.

Also, zero range anxiety.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom