MFT for birding?

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Sorry didn’t realise you were struggling with your hands and holding heavy stuff. I was looking at the Panasonic range a while ago and I nearly bought the G9. As it turned out, I wasn’t doing any photography at all so decided to stick with what I’ve got. For me, the G9 was the better option as I’m not really bothered about video and the GH5 seemed more geared to video stuff.

I watched a lot of stuff on YouTube and found David Thorpe to be very knowledgeable on all things MFT - have you seen his videos? He reviews a lot of MFT gear :)
Yes thanks. He did the EM1-MK2 vs GH5 shootout at ephotozine I mentioned a few posts back. There is a load of useful info there. His blog is useful as well :smashin:

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hear about your arthritis, I can completely sympathise as I suffer from fibromyalgia hence my search for lighter gear.

I can't see the Mark III being worth over double the cost no, the EM1-II is really rather good. I have used the EM1-X quite a bit and in the real world I didn't really notice a great difference in terms of AF speed and accuracy. I'm sure if you did specific tests you'd probably see something, but for every day use not so much.

With regards to the Panny stiffness mine wasn't too bad at all, it's just not as 'smooth' as the Olympus pro range of lenses (the 300mm f4 is a rather nice lens). With the Panny there is a zoom "lock" which makes the zoom stiffer but can still be turned, I wonder how many people realise this when I see all the complaints of the Panny having a stiff zoom.
Sorry to hear about the fibromyalgia. You have my sympathy, it's a nasty set of symptoms. I have a few of them but luckily not the full set. How long have you had it?

Well if the EM1-II is that close to the EM1-X that sounds good enough for me. The EM1-X as a purpose designed sports and wildlife camera sounded appealing until I saw the 1kg body weight. The price wasn't as much a turnoff (at grey sellers) as I'm used to the better FF models costing an arm and a leg.
I was hoping the Bill Gates microchip would be a secret cure for fibromyalgia but sadly no, although I have my second jab in 2 weeks so there's still hope :laugh:
I've heard you need all of Pfizer, AZ, Moderna, J&J plus Novavax jabs to get enough nanobots for that. Although others say that's a load of rubbish and you also need Sputnik V and Sinopharm too.
After that 'The world is your Oyster' or was it after all of that 'You are an Oyster'. Can't remember....:D

Last edited:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I was looking at some reviews of the Olympus MFT cameras and liked what I saw - things have moved on a bit since I last looked. It would seem that the Olympus gear has better autofocus for birding type situations.

snerkler

Sorry to hear about the fibromyalgia. You have my sympathy, it's a nasty set of symptoms. I have a few of them but luckily not the full set. How long have you had it?

Well if the EM1-II is that close to the EM1-X that sounds good enough for me. The EM1-X as a purpose designed sports and wildlife camera sounded appealing until I saw the 1kg body weight. The price wasn't as much a turnoff (at grey sellers) as I'm used to the better FF models costing an arm and a leg.

I've heard you need all of Pfizer, AZ, Moderna, J&J plus Novavax jabs to get enough nanobots for that. Although others say that's a load of rubbish and you also need Sputnik V and Sinopharm too.
After that 'The world is your Oyster' or was it after all of that 'You are an Oyster'. Can't remember....:D
Thanks, I've had it for many years but only "officially diagnosed" 2 years ago.

With regards to the EM1-II vs EM1-x I can only tell you about my experiences, other's may say different. The EM1-II never let me down though, from wildlife to motorsport to the London Marathon.

These are some of my favourites I've taken with my Olympus cameras

Last edited:

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I thought I'd update thread with my eventual buying choices.
In the end I've stayed with Canon EOS R. The main factors were high ISO handling, megapixel/resolution size and most importantly very good animal eye AF (both stills and video).

First step was buying a much lighter Sigma 100-400 lens which works well and produces very good results in the 300-400mm range and 1.5-5m distances (albeit at F8, thus usually needing higher ISO). That takes care of my usual day to day shots out of the window with the birds atracted by the food. And the other creatures which find their own food in the garden....

Photo here of a female pheasant doing an ant eater out of a job and clearing one of the way too many red ant nests which the Empire of the Ants has been setting up in my gravel ("all your garden r belong to us" is their motto). Plus a Roe Deer doing some 'weeding' of my flower beds and its yob offspring Bambi doing the same (they have the same motto as the ants :().
All with the Sigma 100-400 and my EOS R taken through double glazing.

pheasantants.jpg

deer.jpg

bambi.jpg

Then unfortunately a bad dose of GAS kicked in and after seeing many videos of the EOS R5 and R6 animal eye AF results for birds I decided to upgrade my camera body. A small price drop in the R5 at Panamoz taking it below £3K and that itch was scratched. Arrived this Monday and the results of the animal eye AF so far have been fantastic, my AF in focus hit rate for small birds has jumped up to 9.5/10 from the previous 2 or 3/10.

However I've still got a bit of residual GAS and the RF 800mm F11 lens is now looking like a strong possibility. I need some dry and bright weather to test my Sigma 150-600 + 1.4TC (840mm at F11) with the R5 and see if that does a good enough job with more distant larger birds down at the coast. Shags, Comorants, Red Breasted Mergansers, Eider Ducks, Gannets and a variety of seagulls are usually not too hard to find. With my older EOS R the AF in focus hit rate for those with or without the TC is fairly rubbish. And even with manual focus the naked lens iresults are often looking a bit soft at 600mm for distant (75m+) birds.

The Canon RF 800mm is over 1kg lighter than the Sigma 150-600mm + 1.4TC + RF lens adaptor and so the R5 and lens comes in not much heavier than the Panasonic or Olympus 100-400 lenses with the same reach, albeit at a worse aperture. Better high ISO of the R5 should take care of that though and the 45MP vs 20MP of the M4/3 cameras gives possibilities for much heavier crop while still getting more megapixels left than with M4/3.

Kit weight is still a bit of an issue but I'm finding the R5 and Sigma 100-400 isn't too much of a problem to hand hold and the same should be true for the R5 and RF 800. Both around 2000g overall which compares favourably to say the G9 plus Panny 100-400 at 1643g. Aprox 250g more but I've been doing weights exercises to improve my wrist, arm and shoulder muscles (4.5kg dumbells so not in the big league :)) to cope with the extra weight....

Finally a few with the R5 and Sigma 100-400: a young Robin taken yesterday on a dull wet day through a not too clean window. ISO 800

robin.jpg

Another Robin today on yet another wet dull day. ISO 1000 (the window isn't any cleaner)

rainydayrobin.jpg

And for a change, a somewhat wet and bedraggled Goldfinch this afternoon. ISO 640

goldfinch.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom