MF Xray Dac

co55ie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a home demo of MF A5 CD player at the moment and am very impressed with it, What I was wondering is how my Yamaha DVD S 1700 DVD player used as transport combined with Musical Fidelity X-DACv8 would sound for stereo purposes ?

Worth going down this route or is the standalone CD player a better option.

Any ideas as to how much the Xray DAC costs ?

thanks for any input

I was thinking about the same thing recently, but using my Denon 3930 as the transport.

Anyway to answer the second part of your question the X-DACv8 retails at £999.

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=3367

To get the best out of it though you'd need the X-PSU as well.

I didn;t think you needed, or indeed can use, the PSU with the DAC. It certainly used to be the case with the V3 DAC that things improved with the X-PSU V3 but don't thing that applies with the V8. I think the DAC V8 is overpriced, to be honest, albeit it is a very good DAC. You might be better of hunting down some second had V3 Kit, DAC v3, PSU v3 and X10 valve buffer which, if you are lucky, could probably get for around 550.

You're right. I was thinking you would use the Triple X-PSU. I have the X-Canv3 and X-PSU for my headphone setup (which can also power the X-DACv3) so thought the larger x-series would be the same.

Would a DVD player used as a transport work well with a DAC for CD replay as if it would I cant see the need to spend the extra cash on an intergrated CD player especially one with the worlds most violent loading tray :D (no expense spared there)

I was thinking about the same thing recently, but using my Denon 3930 as the transport.

I tried one this morning after returning the loan A5 CD player with my DVD player and it does sound much better but certainly not in the same league as the A5 standalone player .

scratch my above comments I have let the DAC and tube warm up for a few hours now and it sounds absolutely superb, Very warm with a great analogue feel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom