MF X-CAN v3 vs Little Dot MkIV

steveledzep

I am considering changing my Little Dot IV to a MF X-Can v3. The only thing driving this is aesthetics. You'll see from my Sig. that I have the matching MF Phono amp and the power supply which can power the X-Can too. I don't often use headphones, just occasionally if wife's gone to bed early. Bear in mind that the X-Can will benefit from the superior power supply.

Will I be disappointed if I make the change ? Has anyone got experience of both amps ? I'm watching the X-Can on ebay at the moment so no opportunity to audition. Incidentally, I'm very happy with the Little Dot, just looks a bit industrial compared to the rest of the kit.

Many thanks, Steve.

steveledzep

Disappointed there were no takers ! Anyway, bought the X-Can today. I'll do side by side listening and sell the one I'm least happy with. As I said, for aesthetic reasons, I'd like the MF to win the contest !

alexs2

I doubt you'll be disappointed with the X-Can ,but it may take a while to get used to the change in sound quality from one amp to the other,and also the tubes used in the X-Can.

There are a lot of mods available for the X-Cans in terms of capacitors,and tubes,but get used to it first,and I hope you enjoy it.

steveledzep

Thank you alexs2. The tubes in the X-Can have been "upgraded" I'm told by the seller to JJ E88CC's. This doesn't mean anything to me, but the seller assures me it's a good thing. He also gave me a link to rock-grotto outlining the capacitor mods that can be done. I have a friend who is a whizz with the soldering iron, he keeps my Xerxes PSU going !!

I'll let you know how I get on. The surplus amp will go on the classifieds here. Anyone interested, let me know and I'll tell you when it's listed. It'll be in the new year now. Happy Cristmas to all !!

steveledzep

Got the X-Can yesterday. Plugged it in tonight. For ease of connection and comparison, I used the wall wart to power the X-Can. I used INXS on cd (Mystify and Taste It) and Joe Cocker, Sheffield Steel on vinyl for comparison. I have to say that I really couldn't tell them apart. Both were warmed up, but there was little difference, if any !! So, as the exercise was to achieve better aesthetics to the look of my system, I was very pleased that the X-Can at least held its own. So, I proceeded to re-route cables and reposition things to put the X-Can in and take Little Dot out.When finally installed the X-Can was connected to the X-PSU v3. I listened again to check I'd connected everything up properly and was blown away !!! The X-Can had taken on a whole new character, it was authorititive and dominant, in total control !! I've read of the difference dedicated PSUs can make, particularly with Naim equipment, but had never experienced the difference. This X-Can was definitely telling me that it'd arrived and was doing a great job !! Interesting stuff, I hope you agree. I'll be marketing the Little Dot MkIV in the new year. Nothing wrong with it, sounds great !!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom