1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MF Tri-vista overkill?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by relevant, Sep 27, 2003.

1. relevant

relevant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently listened to the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista integrated amplifier and SACD player (playing a CD) and was impressed to the point of considering whether to buy them. Jargon like "soundstage" started to make sense.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio GR20 speakers and am wondering whether they would now become the weak link in this sort of system or whether I would still be able to benefit sufficiently from the Tri-Vista equipment with the GR20s. (I can't remember what speakers were used to demonstrate the MF equipment, but they were very good.) If the GR20s wouldn't be able to keep up, then I would prefer to settle for other less high-end equipment, like the MF308 range, than have to upgrade speakers as well.

I'm not sure if this is a question about amplifiers, CD players or speakers, in case this is considered off topic.

2. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In my opinion the speakers determine the sound quality for about 80%. The rest is amplifier, source and cables (leaving out acoustics since their different depending on placement and location).

So if the sound quality of the set you were listening was vastly superior to your own, then I'd check the speakers first. There's a lot of difference between speakers costing €1000 and €5000, but not nearly as much between CD or SACD players costing €1000 and €5000.

Just my two cents on this.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Your speakers will definitely become the weak link in that little chain,although you'll obviously find it sounds pretty good,especially if your previous amp/source aren't that good.
    I'd disagree with sr78 though....a good amp,and source can account for way more than 20%,as even the best speakers can be completely lost with poor amps etc,and may only end up revealing the shortcomings of the source components.
    It's not really a matter of what percentage is attributable to each component,as how well they all work together.....there are lots of examples of very good(expensive)items which simply don't work together to produce a good sound.

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

Currently I am using GR20/MF308CD/Pre/Pwr.

Depending on your long term outlook as far as upgrades go, if the choice was to buy Trivasta or 308 and never upgrade again, then I would go for the Trivista.

Both the 308 and Trivista will benefit from a speaker upgrade, but both are superb sounding systems and will sound absolutely great with the GR20's.

Only you can decide if the Trivista is worth the extra over the 308 with your GR20's, after a one to one dem, preferably at home.

Regards

Gus

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also think you will be better buying better source and power, then replacing the speakers and keeping what else you have...

6. relevant

relevant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. A dealer has suggested to me (as an alternative to the Tri-Vista integrated amp + SACD player), an Einstein integrated amp + receiver (http://www.einstein-audio.de).

I will listen to them when he next has them in stock, but have meanwhile been trying to find out more about them, with almost no success. Anyone know about them? I think they are slightly cheaper than the Tri-Vista products.