1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MF M250 monobloc power amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by nathan_silly, Jul 2, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spotted this monobloc... would this be adequate for the SVS CS-Ultra?

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/monframeset.html

It hasn't got a gain adjustment- would one of RA attenuated phono's be sufficient to reduce the level so the MC-1 channel adjustment is adequate?

Has anyone got one of these?

I've read about "damping factor" and seen the Crown K1 has a very high damping factor... is higher=better? and why?

Thanks

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Its a good amp,nathan,generally well regarded with good load tolerance and current delivery.
    As to your question of attenuators,one of RA's attenuator plugs may be adequate,but won't allow any sort of adjustment if the attentuation level relative to your processor is wrong.
    Your final query re damping factor....a high damping factor translates to low output impedance,and the Crown amps have always had that,but often this comes at the expense of high levels of global negative feedback,which isn't always a good thing.
    very low levels of damping mean that the amp will have relatively poor control over the speaker,and may sound poor as a result,but in general the only case where this may be obvious is low powered valve amps(in particular SETs)coupled with low impedance or reactive speaker loads.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for that Alex. Would you say something like that MF 250 is a higher quality amp then ones you get on sub panels?

I guess I could borrow several attenuated phono's of various dB reductions and choose the one that (after calibrating) puts the MC-1 sub adjustment in the middle (so I've got -10db to +10dB either way)

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Its very definitely better than most sub power amps from the HiFi point of view,but the only proviso I'd make is about it's peak power capabilites....as you know a lot of subs have Class D or similar power amps with very high RMS and peak outputs,where a good performance in hifi terms is less critical.
    If the sub is relatively efficient,then I don't think you'd have any problems.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What feature should I look at to make sure the amp is suitable? "Peak-to-peak output current - 72 Amps "

If Tom V from SVS gives me the specs for the Ultra driver would that help determine whether or not the MF is adequate?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    nathan...I've just had a look and reminded myself of the specs on that amp...what I was most interested in besides the current delivery was the power output into decreasing loads,and it pretty nearly doubles it's ouput into 4 ohms.....if you can get this amp at a decent price I think you'd be very happy with it.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks.

I'm emailing Tom and asking him the specifications of the 500 watt BASH amp and Ultra driver.. it'll give me a idea of what a similar or better amp, compared to a sub amp module.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Np...good luck

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah just remembered, (QED?) make them little pre-amp boxes, I could use one of them.

You think Tom won't disclose that info? (there's some info on the 300 watt bash)

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Creek passive attenuator is much better in sound quality terms and not dissimilar in price.