1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MF amp brightness - due to speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jimmy_b, Sep 30, 2004.

1. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am currently in the process of upgrading my ten year old, cheap-ish system and recently purchased an MF a3.2 amp second hand. Problem is, the treble from it seems very aggressive (at least a lot more so than my old Rotel amp). I was wondering if this might be due to my speakers which are woefully low power mission 760 bookshelves.
    MF amp outputs ~120Wpc at 8ohms
    Mission 760s are 6ohms and recommended input is 20-75 Wpc.

I understand that there is a mis match here and have been playing it all at low volumes until I get a speaker upgrade. But my question is, will higher power-rated speakers reduce the treble brightness or simply allow me to play at higher volumes? Or is the MF naturally very bright (i realise it is brighter than rotel)? Is it possible to "offset" the brightness by choosing speakers carefully?

I use a pioneer 565 as transport and MF a3.24 DAC. Room is approx 3x3.

Thanks in advance
    Jimmy

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You could also do a little tuning with different analogue cables and speaker cables. I suspect the speakers will make the most difference though.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't think that the power rating of a speaker will have a great deal to do with the way it sounds and you have probably just partnered bright sounding speakers with a bright sounding amp which has accentuated it.

It is possible to counter the brightness of an amp by partnering it with more laid back sounding speakers

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Doesn't look too bad to me ,your more likely to damage your hearing than the speakers.My old 30watt amp played my missions to stupid levels driving the speakers into cliping with a small weedy amp will cause more damage than using a larger amp with a clean out put.Just be sensible :smoke:

5. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian J - much as I thought!

So, are MF well known for being particularly bright then? And I didn't think Mission speakers were meant to be that bright....!

Anyone recommend speakers that might counter the inbalance?
    Spendor? Kef?

Thanks for all the replies so far

Jimmy

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    jimmy b i had dem of mf3.2 with dynaudio audience 62 floorstanders and purchased 62 ex dem, had a home triel of mf3.2 ex dem ,

does your mf 3.2 have a (red) power led if so this is a slightly older vertion the newer mf have blue power led and has miner internal mods, was told this by mf tec.and the newer one was the one to go for, i heard the newer model at dem but have no idea if there is a noticible differance between the 2 vertions

the mf i had on trial was the older vertion and played kate meluahs "blame it on the moon " found the mf to have a more fuller rounded sound as compared to denon 3802 and conveyed far more emotion,so mf was nice in the midrange but with qiute a lot of cds dido ,found the top end a bit too in your face.

tried my older m/short speakers which with the 3802 tend to sound a bit more laid back,tried with mf and the treble was far more noticible , but with rotel 985 power bi amped was not .

also tried mf with my mission 70 used as rears , found them to give a lot more treble, 70 with 3802 are also a bit tinny at the top end,

my mate has a 20 year old pair of mission standmounts simular in size to bw 602s3 and did use with nad 2040 cant say they ever sounded too bright.

speaking to mission tech some time back the guy stated the newer missions were desighned to suite more modern music tastes hip hop /garage etc think he was refering to the m53 ??? at the time,