Metropolis/M (MOC) - Worth A Blind Buy?

gap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the title says really. I have a little cash that I can spend on just me and fancied something 'classic'. Have never seen either of these so would be interested in opinions.

[As a point of reference, my favourite films are L.A. Confidential, All About Eve, The Rock, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws.]

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Going by those films Id say...no.

It is a classic sci-fi film. The first one I think. And I love sci-fi. But I don't own it. Its way ahead of its time and Ive got it on DVD somewhere but it just isn't one I feel that I need to own. Im sure many here will argue otherwise though.

Why not rent it instead of buying. That's what I do with films I haven't seen.

And btw. Metropolis is far from the first science fiction film. ;)

I'm glad I grew up in a time before satellite, cable and PPVTV because I got to watch films like Metropolis and M on terrestrial TV for 'free'. Since the subscription channels sucked up the rights to air many classic films the only way today's generation are exposed to them is if they opt to buy, rent or download them. You can no longer casually flick through the Radio Times on any given week and watch a dozen or more great films over the course of the subsequent seven days.

I'm glad I grew up in a time before satellite, cable and PPVTV because I got to watch films like Metropolis and M on terrestrial TV for 'free'. Since the subscription channels sucked up the rights to air many classic films the only way today's generation are exposed to them is if they opt to buy, rent or download them. You can no longer casually flick through the Radio Times on any given week and watch a dozen or more great films over the course of the subsequent seven days.
Have to echo all you said.
I remember the days of going through the old listings and earmarking any classics for viewing.
The odd one comes up on Sky now and again and do a weekly run through of their listing. Missed spotting Angel On My Shoulder on the beeb the other day though :mad:

I can't. We have no rental stores near us and don't have LoveFilm or Netflix.

Well said Sir! Used to have fun flicking thru the TV & Radio times at Christmas, so many good films late at night.. BBC2 used to be great once.... :rolleyes:

First one of any note surely? ;)

(I am aware of Trip to the Moon!)

In that case it's difficult to say whether you would enjoy them based on your list of favourite films. It's not just the type of films but the fact you have only five favourite films.

Sometimes I buy films I haven't seen because there is no other way, though I've usually read up a little on them. Read up on Metropolis and if you think you would find it interesting, buy it. If you don't like it you can alway resell it and it will still have been cheaper than watching it at a repertory cinema. Metropolis is not among my favourite films or even among my favourite silent films, but anybody with a serious interest in film should see it at least once. The extras on the Blu about its creation and restoration are also very interesting.

Last edited:
In that case it's difficult to say whether you would enjoy them based on your list of favourite films. It's not just the type of films but the fact you have only five favourite films.

I have five favourite films. Not sure how many one is supposed to have?? I have lots of films I like (thought it would be a bit redundant to list tens of movies) but they cannot all be favourites - that's not what the word means.

Metropolis is a silent film so if you think you won't like reading intertitles (subtitles on a black screen in between scenes/shots) then maybe leave it. However, it's an amazing film. Just don't expect something it's not.

M on the other hand is more of a 'normal' film - More timeless (imo). It helps that is has inspired film makers for decades so when watching it you can really see where a lot of later films took inspiration from. Btw, it's a 'talkie', and is a crime thriller/drama film so if you like that genre, you'll love it.

I have five favourite films. Not sure how many one is supposed to have??
It depends if you're a cinephile or not, if you are then 5 wouldn't even register. Hell I can count more than 5 Fritz Lang films amongst my favourites and don't even get me started on Westerns or Sci-Fi, comedies, horror, film noir...

It depends if you're a cinephile or not, if you are then 5 wouldn't even register. Hell I can count more than 5 Fritz Lang films amongst my favourites and don't even get me started on Westerns or Sci-Fi, comedies, horror, film noir...

I think maybe we have different ideas on what the word favourite means. I have top tens in every genre but they aren't all favourites.

Metropolis is a silent film so if you think you won't like reading intertitles (subtitles on a black screen in between scenes/shots) then maybe leave it. However, it's an amazing film. Just don't expect something it's not.

M on the other hand is more of a 'normal' film - More timeless (imo). It helps that is has inspired film makers for decades so when watching it you can really see where a lot of later films took inspiration from. Btw, it's a 'talkie', and is a crime thriller/drama film so if you like that genre, you'll love it.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I know all about both movies but haven't seen either.

Last edited:
I think maybe we have different ideas on what the word favourite means.
I know perfectly what you mean, it's just I have substantially more than 5 favourite films. You count All About Eve amongst your favourites so I urge you to get Metropolis and M. If you don't like them I'll take full responsibility.

I know perfectly what you mean, it's just I have substantially more than 5 favourite films. You count All About Eve amongst your favourites so I urge you to get Metropolis and M. If you don't like them I'll take full responsibility.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

I will assume not and say thanks for the recommendation 😄

If you do get them make sure to come back and tell us your thoughts.

Fritz Lang's M is almost perfect viewing and in it Lang mixes "silent' movie and "talkie" movie storytelling techniques. I take the final confession sequence by
Peter Lorre
to be equal to late Beethoven and Shakespeare in its mesmerising power to hook a viewer. I have the Criterion Blu-Ray.

Yes, Fritz Lang, one of my favourite directors too.

Among those I love:

The Dr Mabuse films
M
Metropolis
The Woman in the Window
Spione
Fury
Ministry of Fear
The Big Heat

Actually, I'm not sure he made a dud.
Watch all his movies :smashin:

Yes, Fritz Lang, one of my favourite directors too.

Among those I love:

The Dr Mabuse films
M
Metropolis
The Woman in the Window
Spione
Fury
Ministry of Fear
The Big Heat

Actually, I'm not sure he made a dud.
Watch all his movies :smashin:

Scarlet Street is very good as well and is available on Blu-Ray, it plays out almost as a rebuke from the great director to himself for giving Woman in the Window
a
happy ending
which Scarlet Street most definitely doesn't get. Both movies star the incomparable Edward G Robinson. The Blu-Ray has an excellent commentary track from Lang scholar David Kalat, and he is always worth listening to.

Last edited:
......Woman in the Window - spoiler..

I knew what the spoiler was going to be before I read it :)
It was cheesy but I didn't mind.
I love Edward G Robinson.
I actually think he was the outstanding character in Double Indemnity.
Loved him in The Stranger too :smashin:

Been on a bit of a Fritz Lang roll at the minute having recently picked up BDs of Ministry of Fear, Die Niiebelungen and Secret Beyond the Door which I discovered on a Spanish Blu Ray for a very reasonable 7 Euros.

As someone alluded to above, I too don't think I have ever seen a bad film with
Lang's name on it.

However, Metropolis and M I would put at the top of a very distinguished list of achievements.

^ ^ :p ^ ^ :D

Attachments

• Lang.jpg
    Lang.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 48
I love Fritz Lang as a director and many of his films but Metropolis is probably among my least favourite of his. I love silent films, but I find Metropolis rather dull with cardboard characters which are not very engaging. I'm not a huge fan of its simplistic politics and it's clunky message, for which screenwriter Thea von Harbou was to blame. She was Lang's wife at the time and would soon join the Nazi party, leading to their divorce. Even Lang distanced himself from the film's "fairy tale" approach and he was appalled that the film was admired by the Nazis. Metropolis looks gorgeous and is a triumph of art direction and special effects, but for me it can't hold a candle to other German films of his, like M, The Testament of Dr Mabuse and even his lesser known silent sci-fi film, Woman in the Moon, which invented the countdown. Of his American films You Only Live Once, The Big Heat and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt are my favourites.

Last edited:
Even my kids, when they first watched Metropolis in their early teens thought the message behind the film was simplistic and delivered in a very blunt way. Nowadays I appreciate the story in an ironic way. But there's no criticising the visual appeal of the film and it's influence on all forms of popular culture is preeminent. I also think some of the central performances are good especially Brigitte Helm. I also prefer to watch M, Dr Mabuse and Women on the Moon more and find I revisit them more often than I do Metropolis.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom